DigiTech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor

Jon Chappell

• Members

I am looking at the RP150 versus the 250 and have a few questions on connections for both. The 150 has a Control input for a footcontrol but it does not appear to have an aux port to connect an MP3 player. Is there a way to use an MP3 player with the RP150? On either model, can you use pedals in front of the RP with good results? I have a tubescreamer and muff I want to use with the RP. Is there any way to set the chain order of effects on either model? Thanks.

you can use pedals in front easy,the rp 250 does however have an 808 built in,sounds pretty good to me,

the foot controller comes in real handy with volume adjustment,distortion level control ect,the wah is pretty good to,I dont think you can play cd through it while using guitar in. i would just get the 250 ,the floor foot pedal is worth the extra,

* 1/4" instrument input

* 1/4" stereo output with amp/mixer switch

* 1/8" headphone output

* 1/4" control in

* USB 1.0 2x2 input/output

* 24 bit — 44.1kHz

# 48 Effects models — up to 11 at a time

# Mild-to-wild classic distortion stompbox models including TS-808*, DOD 250, ProCo RatTM*, Big Muff Pi* etc.

# Genuine Lexicon reverbs

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am looking at the RP150 versus the 250 and have a few questions on connections for both. The 150 has a Control input for a footcontrol but it does not appear to have an aux port to connect an MP3 player. Is there a way to use an MP3 player with the RP150? On either model, can you use pedals in front of the RP with good results? I have a tubescreamer and muff I want to use with the RP. Is there any way to set the chain order of effects on either model? Thanks.

I have the RP90 vs the 250! I see now that they have come out with the RP1000 which looks like the RP500. Actually, I like the metal switches on the higher models but DigiTech told me the sound is essentially the same in all the RP models, built on the same "chip".

Is there a whole lot of difference between the RP90 and the RP250? If not, I guess whatever I read here should apply to what I already have.

Thanks!

• Members

I have the
RP90
vs the 250! I see now that they have come out with the RP1000 which looks like the RP500. Actually, I like the metal switches on the higher models but DigiTech told me the sound is essentially the same in all the RP models, built on the same "chip".

Is there a whole lot of difference between the RP90 and the RP250? If not, I guess whatever I read here should apply to what I already have.

Thanks!

The RP150, RP250, RP350 and RP500 all have a USB connection which works well for PC recording via ASIO drivers within Reaper, Audacity and other PC recording software. The RP90 has no USB.

Also, with the USB, you can use the Digitech X-Edit software to adjust the RP150, RP250, RP350, and RP500. You can save unlimited custom patches on your harddrive. Plus, there are extra EQ adjustments that are only accessible through the X-Edit software.

• Members

Hi

Only yesterday I recieved my RP250. I just wanted a quick play with it so plugged my guitar in and hooked up a set of Koss Porta Pro's.

I turned the unit on for the first time and was immediately confused to find I had no volume. I can barely hear the drums even when I turn the volume full on and nothing from the guitar.

I kept reading the manual twiddling this and that and eventually going online to see if anyone else has this issue. I cant seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong, except that is I've bought a duff one and that would really piss me off because I'm way over in Africa having had it sent by someone from the States.

I'm not stupid but is there something I should be doing?

Help.

Cheers

Steve
Liberia

• Members

^

1) The foot pedal might be rocked all the way back. Push the foot pedal all the way forward (toward the toe side). The foot pedal is active as a volume pedal on the presets.

2) Make sure the headphones are not accidentally plugged into the aux input.

3) Turn the master volume knob all the way clockwise.

4) Check to see if the gain knob on the amp model needs to be turned up.

5) Make sure the amp/mixer switch is pushed into the 'mixer' position...this has no effect on volume, but it sounds bad through headphones if the switch is in the 'amp' mode.

• Members

Hi JRock

Thanks for the quick reply.

Unfortunately I tried all you suggested before posting.

I tried again today. Same situation, rechecked I'd connected everything OK and this time just let the drum machine play with no guitar in. Same low volume, when I say low its hardly audible.

I tried putting an MP3 through the aux and listening. Yup its there but so low. Turned the volume way up.

Did the gate thing, but surely it will play the drum machine side at a volume. Also checked the pedal as you said, no diff.

I don't have an amp at home at the moment but sought of jury rigged a connection from the outputs to the mike in of the computer. Tested with the MP3 first. Nothing.

I contacted Digitech Techs and waiting on them but anymore advice would be appreciated. Its really thrown a spanner in the works.

Cheers
Staylong
Monrovia

• Members

Hi

Only yesterday I recieved my RP250. I just wanted a quick play with it so plugged my guitar in and hooked up a set of Koss Porta Pro's.

I turned the unit on for the first time and was immediately confused to find I had no volume. I can barely hear the drums even when I turn the volume full on and nothing from the guitar.

I kept reading the manual twiddling this and that and eventually going online to see if anyone else has this issue. I cant seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong, except that is I've bought a duff one and that would really piss me off because I'm way over in Africa having had it sent by someone from the States.

I'm not stupid but is there something I should be doing?

Help.

Cheers

Steve

Liberia

Are you having this volume problem with the RP unit connected to a computer, via the USB port?

I ask, because I did have some trouble with adjustment of my sound-card's mixer affecting the RP's volume.

• Members

Wow now this was a very informative thread. Thank you all . As for me I an old timer who dosn't play pro anymore but jam with a bunch of wanaby's (great people though) at my local Pub Open Jam once or twice a week. I am the only one most of the time playing electric and play lead behind everyone (well try to...lol) Anyhow I use a Line 6 Variax 600 through a GT10 into the pub's PA system and get a great sound especially when I kick in the harmonizer to give me an almost steel guitar sound.

For the last month I got tired of carrying the equipment (I am 64 and don't have a roadie....lol) so I was just using my Tak flatop into a Boss Micro BR with a very very nice sound through the PA. Well I really missed the harmonizer and volume pedal so I traded the Boss Micro for the RP 350. Well I had this one night and decided it was reminising of my GT 10, big and heavy. BTW, I still have the GT10. I took the RP350 back to Cosmo's and brought the smaller and lighter RP 250 home and love it.

It is small, gives me the Volume pedal and a sort of harmonizer which I am working on to get what I want. This is the 5th day of having the RP 250 so I am still playing, ahhhhh......pardon me learning.

First thing I tried to do was re-assign the v toe switch in the pedal to switch the IPS on and off........ nope can't do it sooooooo
That for me would be my wish....... To be able to assign the switch to any FX preset instead of just the Wow on and off.

A year ago, I think, when I owned the GNX 4, I was able to go into a patch with an editor, can't remember which though, I think Microsoft Notepad, and modify the preset (patch) to use the v switch for a different FX instead of the Wow.

Question here is can this be done with the RP250 presets? I know if you open up the patch in notepad you can edit it. If that is not possible then maybe the next firmware upgrade could have the v switch assignable to what you want.

So my question is:

Can you use another editor and reassign the V-Switch to any other FX effect instead of the Wow? I have tried simple edits like enableling effects on and off without any problem but I can't seem to find the proper settings like I was able to do in a GNX4 patch to change the RP250 switch from wow to something else. Anyone know how to do this?

BTW did I say I love the RP250. It is still small and light which was the reason I was using the Boss Micro.

Thanks all and hope to hear from anyone regarding an editor to edit the presets if possible.
Tommy
:thu:

• Members

Does anyone have problems with expression pedal on RP250 from time to time?
Mine stop to work and after calibration procedure it is back but again it can happen suddenly again.
It looks like it is production fault or defect. I have heard from couple of guyz.
I mean it is not huge problem cause calibration will make it run again but it can be unpleasent during performance.
Anyone?

• Members

Does anyone have problems with expression pedal on RP250 from time to time?

Mine stop to work and after calibration procedure it is back but again it can happen suddenly again.

It looks like it is production fault or defect. I have heard from couple of guyz.

I mean it is not huge problem cause calibration will make it run again but it can be unpleasent during performance.

Anyone?

try updateing the firmware,mine doesnt ever mess up now,it did when i first got it,but i hooked it to pc with usb an went to digitech site an went through the process,its simple,an now all is good

• Members
Wow now this was a very informative thread. Thank you all . As for me I an old timer who dosn't play pro anymore but jam with a bunch of wanaby's (great people though) at my local Pub Open Jam once or twice a week. I am the only one most of the time playing electric and play lead behind everyone (well try to...lol) Anyhow I use a Line 6 Variax 600 through a GT10 into the pub's PA system and get a great sound especially when I kick in the harmonizer to give me an almost steel guitar sound.

For the last month I got tired of carrying the equipment (I am 64 and don't have a roadie....lol) so I was just using my Tak flatop into a Boss Micro BR with a very very nice sound through the PA. Well I really missed the harmonizer and volume pedal so I traded the Boss Micro for the RP 350. Well I had this one night and decided it was reminising of my GT 10, big and heavy. BTW, I still have the GT10. I took the RP350 back to Cosmo's and brought the smaller and lighter RP 250 home and love it.

It is small, gives me the Volume pedal and a sort of harmonizer which I am working on to get what I want. This is the 5th day of having the RP 250 so I am still playing, ahhhhh......pardon me learning.

First thing I tried to do was re-assign the v toe switch in the pedal to switch the IPS on and off........ nope can't do it sooooooo

That for me would be my wish....... To be able to assign the switch to any FX preset instead of just the Wow on and off.

A year ago, I think, when I owned the GNX 4, I was able to go into a patch with an editor, can't remember which though, I think Microsoft Notepad, and modify the preset (patch) to use the v switch for a different FX instead of the Wow.

Question here is can this be done with the RP250 presets? I know if you open up the patch in notepad you can edit it. If that is not possible then maybe the next firmware upgrade could have the v switch assignable to what you want.

So my question is:

Can you use another editor and reassign the V-Switch to any other FX effect instead of the Wow? I have tried simple edits like enableling effects on and off without any problem but I can't seem to find the proper settings like I was able to do in a GNX4 patch to change the RP250 switch from wow to something else. Anyone know how to do this?

BTW did I say I love the RP250. It is still small and light which was the reason I was using the Boss Micro.

Thanks all and hope to hear from anyone regarding an editor to edit the presets if possible.

Tommy

Anyone out there that might have any thoughts or comments here about re-routing the V-Switch?

Thank you
Tommy

• Members

I've searched low and high for this anwser.

Can the RP250 be used instead of an amp such as If i just plug the guitar in and then do headphones out to hear or i also have the option to get an adapter for the two 1/4" outs and then plug those into my home theater. does it sound just like an amp? And also does the RP250 offer the ability to control VST host programs and plugins that are on the computer with its built in pedal. Such as the guitar rig 3 program for example and theres a few other open source VST hosts out there but i cant remember their names. But if not can you point me in the direction of something that can do such things.

• Members

I've searched low and high for this anwser.

Can the RP250 be used instead of an amp such as If i just plug the guitar in and then do headphones out to hear or i also have the option to get an adapter for the two 1/4" outs and then plug those into my home theater. does it sound just like an amp? And also does the RP250 offer the ability to control VST host programs and plugins that are on the computer with its built in pedal. Such as the guitar rig 3 program for example and theres a few other open source VST hosts out there but i cant remember their names. But if not can you point me in the direction of something that can do such things.

it sounds good ,it sounds like amps,but exactly like amps ,it does when mixed with music,it can sound so close to many amps.(there are allot of amp copies that are very very close in the 250,but keep in mind,every ear hears the sound its own way)

yes stereo would sound real good,you would most likely have to adjust it some.

I don't think it will control anything other then its own parameters on a pc.

• Members
Thanks for the info. The most important thing is that it will be able to sound like an amp because i need to replace my amps their too bulky to be carrying around to jams

Sounds like you are like me RashestHippo and starting to have problems carrying the heavy equipment...lol With me it is my age 64 and past wild past catching up with me. I don't even bother bringing my little Cube 30 amp to my jam at my local pub. I just plug directly out of the RP 250 into the PA and use whatever preset I want. I also have the Boss GT 10 which I like but still had to do a bit of mixing to get the sound I wanted but with the RP 250 I didn't touch any of the amp presets just plugged in. The nice thing now is that the RP 250 fits into one of the pockets of my soft case for my Variax and all I do is carry my case over my shoulder. Compact and light eh! Oh sorry I lied....... In my other hand I carry my guitar stand....lol

As for the Boss GT 10, I am thinking of trading that for the RP 500 or 1000. That way I would think that my presets if I ever modify them would be the same. So then I would have a light package that I can use in the Cold Ontario Winter (hate having to do the roadie bit running back and forth in the cold) and then I have my heavy package of Variax--- GT 10 or maybe RP 500/1000 --- Cube 30 for the summer which we mostly jam outside on the pub patio. Even then I mostly plug into the PA.

All in all RashestHippo the amp sounds from the RP 250 are very good and authentic.

PS.....I went through the heavy amp bit mixing with the GT 10, GNX4, Line 6 XT/3 live etc..... Loved the heavy tube amps mix with those pedals and finnaly ended up using the Roland Cube 30 because of its weight, size and sound. Even that I have on one of those luggage carriers on wheels so that basically I just wheel the one package out of the car into my jam.

HOpe this helps,
Tommy

• Members

Hi there! I'm trying to record some songs using the RP250 on my new MacMini with MacOS 10.5 leopard and GarageBand.

The problem is that the quality of the sound is not as good as what I hear from my amp. I thought tht maybe I shoud adjust some buffer parameters of the USB interface or something like that but I can not find anything about that.

I need help.

Thanks in advance!

• Members

The RP series looks like solid choice now is there any better ones out there similar to the RP-250

I think what you should do now is go to you local music store and test out the different units that is if they have them. I have gone through the Line 6 Pod , Pod XT live, Pod X3 Live, GNX 4, Boss GT10 and all of these units I had a real problem trying to get the sound I want with an amp. I have even tried different amps since I don't always have a PA at my local pub( The owner now purchased one so it is always there now) Anyhow weight is a amp factor for me now as I am 64 so I ended up using the Roland Cube 30 as an amp. Nice sounding and light enough for me to carry.

Now I mentioned I have the RP250 and love it. Didn't have to do any tweaking other than move some of the presets around for conveniece of quick assess, well you know what I mean. The RP series is very very easy to use and with that said yesterday I took my Boss GT 10 and traded that for the RP 500. I think well hopefully now that I have what I call my light package ---- Tak Acoustic into the RP250 into the PA and also my heavy need a roadie setup lol ......Line 6 Variax into RP500 into Roland Cube 30 amp.

Actually the RP 500 is much smaller and lighter than the Boss GT10.

All said RashestHippo it all boils down to your own ear and what sound you like yourself. I am very happy so far with the RP series and also how easy they are to tweak and change or create your own sound/FX effects.

Again I think if you are able to is try out different units before you buy or if the store you deal with has a 30 day return policy like Long & McQade or Cosmo's in the Toronto Ontario, Canada area then I would take advantage of it.

Tommy

• Members

Hi there! I'm trying to record some songs using the RP250 on my new MacMini with MacOS 10.5 leopard and GarageBand.

The problem is that the quality of the sound is not as good as what I hear from my amp. I thought tht maybe I shoud adjust some buffer parameters of the USB interface or something like that but I can not find anything about that.

I need help.

Thanks in advance!

depends on the speakers your playing it into.

and its doesnt sound like your amp,because its not your amp,its another flavor of the same types of amps, I used rp 250 on the songs on myspace 1.3,and 5 are all done on rp250 straight into my pc,i use an alesis drum pad performance thing played them by hand so they are are still live played

but anyway,the amps guitar on 1,3,and 5 all rp250,even the bass guitar sound

• Members

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie to the forums, but I have a question regarding the RP250. I just acquired a digitech RP250 from a friend of mine who no longer uses it, except he lost the adaptor some time ago. He claims the thing worked fine the last time he used it, but I powered it up with a 9v 1200ma universal adaptor I can't get any sounds out of it other than the drum machine which plays at a rather low volume. Everything lights up as it should and I can cycle through the modes, but I get no sounds with my guitar plugged in. Is it that my adaptor doesn't supply enough power to it or is the unit fried?

I even tried the factory reset and calibrated the expression pedal. Noticed the software version is 1.9. Still the same thing. I can hear the drum machine (still at a rather low volume unless I crank up the amp) and cycle through the different drum patterns, but no sound from the guitar or effects, not even through bypass mode. Again, I can access all the preset settings and muck around with the effects settings, but no sound other than the drum machine. If the unit were fried, would the drum machine still work? Granted, the 9v adaptor I'm using is limited to 1200ma, but would that seriously affect the RP250? I got it for free so I'm not out any money, but I'm debating on whether I should even bother to look for an adaptor that matches the unit's power requirements (9VAC 1.3A) or just throw it in the rubbish bin if it's fried.

• Members

The power supply for the RP250 is 1300mA, so your underpowered supply is most likely causing the issue.

The RP250 comes with the PS0913B power supply, which can be found for around $20.

the PS0913B power supply is 9V AC 1.3 A (1300mA). I doubt that 100mA is the problem. My bet is you are using a DC power supply!!! Look at the output of the power supply; the AC or DC will be written on as AC/DC or ~ (AC) / - - - (DC).

Archived