DigiTech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor

Jon Chappell

• Members

Well...Im not sure if it helped or not.I went to derectories and found the folder and it s empty,and now the mesage says "Disk spase for recording 10 hours 53 Minutes " so Ill just keep going with it and see what happens.

have you installed any new programs or loaded in a bunch of new MP3's or videos? Audacity is basically reading your remaining hard drive space, so if you just installed or downloaded a bunch of stuff then your remaining hard drive space has shrunk and would explain the difference in recording space displayed in Audacity.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
have you installed any new programs or loaded in a bunch of new MP3's or videos? Audacity is basically reading your remaining hard drive space, so if you just installed or downloaded a bunch of stuff then your remaining hard drive space has shrunk and would explain the difference in recording space displayed in Audacity.

Thats most likely the case then.I havent down loaded anything recently but I do have a lot of junk on my computer,most of wich I could get rid of .Thanks for all the help.:thu:

• Members

Hi, having played more with the RP-150 i find its quite easy to program ... and have started making patches with the cabs on DI to use with a valve head and 2x12 open-back speaker box with eminence Beta 12's .

Got my hands on a Boss ME-50 to play with and while the distortion sounds on the unit are terrible .... the reverb, delay and modulation sound are quite good.

The unit sounds much more present than the RP-150 , which sounded more present than a line 6 pod 2.0 i tried befor the Digitech.

Got to say the the Rp-150 sounds great but far less transparent than Boss....
this is regardless of whether every thing is off ...ie no amp model , cab off or di etc.

However the Me-50 is less flexible even though it has all those knobs...
no usb etc

with out regard to price difference ... or the fact that the ME-50 is 4 years old what would be great is the rp-250 flexibility / package with the me-50 'transparency'

in that regard has anyone tried a Boss gs-10 ....

• Members

Regarding the RP350:

Do you find it easy to tweak patches using the matrix and knobs?

Yes, it's actually pretty easy, and it makes sense once you get used to the layout. One thing I will say is that the text on the matrix is very small, and is pretty much useless unless the thing is on your lap. However, I've found that I've gotten used to which knob does what pretty quickly. Also, if you turn a knob that doesn't have an assigned function the display just changes to lines, so it's pretty easy to just fumble around to find what you want.

Making small tweaks at a gig would obviously not be as easy as stompboxes, but not really that much more difficult.

• Members

I was fairly happy with many of the factory presets and stored about thirty of them for easy access. When I switch from a distorted preset (ie SoloDelay) to a clean preset (ie Cool Chorus) there is a significant drop in volume even though the master levels are set to the same number. When I tried to turn up the master level on a clean preset (from say 70 to 85)and try to store it, I found that the master level on all the presets went up. If I go "Edit" and tweak knob #4 the "Level " reading goes up and down but doesn't effect the volume of the preset. What am I doing wrong?

• Members

I was fairly happy with many of the factory presets and stored about thirty of them for easy access. When I switch from a distorted preset (ie SoloDelay) to a clean preset (ie Cool Chorus) there is a significant drop in volume even though the master levels are set to the same number. When I tried to turn up the master level on a clean preset (from say 70 to 85)and try to store it, I found that the master level on all the presets went up. If I go "Edit" and tweak knob #4 the "Level " reading goes up and down but doesn't effect the volume of the preset. What am I doing wrong?

The way I do this is to set the clean sound to your desired level with the overall master volume Then set your distortion volume by editing your amp setting and turning down the amp level.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

What I'm wondering is: does the rp250 sound anything like the rp200? I own a rp200a and while I loved it first when I played through a {censored}ty amp, now when playing with better gear it sounds like plastic, has a lot of hiss, doesn't have true bypass... It's still a lot of fun, but I just can't imagine using it in a band situation anymore. Is the rp250 better?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

You can use any 9-volt adapter as long as it matches the requirements: 1.3A output, and the proper polarity and size of the plug (the polarity is not shown, either on the power supply, the unit, or the manual). Or you could splice an extension wire in between, which is inelegant but does the job. Just make sure you use the same gauge as the existing cord.

Hi

From what I understand there is no polarity issue since it gives AC out, correct me if I'm wrong. I want to buy it from the States where they are available for $200 and here in Sweden they are $385. Some European sites have them for $300.

If I can use a cheap generic adapter I'll have a friend send me a RP350 from the States.

• Members

From what I understand there is no polarity issue since it gives AC out, correct me if I'm wrong. I want to buy it from the States where they are available for $200 and here in Sweden they are $385. Some European sites have them for $300.

If I can use a cheap generic adapter I'll have a friend send me a RP350 from the States.

Yes, there's no polarity issue if it's AC out. On the label of the adapter, it doesn't say if the output is AC or DC (nor does it say in the manual), but you're right, it's AC, so any generic power supply should do.

Thanks for pointing that out.

• Members

On the label of the adapter, it doesn't say if the output is AC or DC

It doesn't have the letters "AC", but it has the symbol: ~ which is the electrical symbol for AC power.

The DC symbol looks like:

____

- - -

• Members

I finally broke down and hooked my studio PC up to the internet long enough to install xedit, which is very nice & worth the effort :thu: . Only thing is, even though everything else still goes out through my Presonus Firepod (specifically media players), Xedit still wants to use the RP as the soundcard; in fact the RP in general no longer seems to go to the windows default sound card.

Anyone else run into this? What am I missing? BTW, I haven't tried running it through Cubase or Audacity, but I didn't have to before...

• Members

Xedit still wants to use the RP as the soundcard; in fact the RP in general no longer seems to go to the windows default sound card.

When I first hook up the RP to the computer, and the USB-device-launch does its thing, the RP resets my Control Panel settings with the RP as the "Sound recording" and "Sound playback" devices. So I manually switch them back.

But after I do that, I can open X-Edit, and my settings stay put. I can edit in both directions (either onscreen or with the RP's front panel). Is this what you're describing?

X-Edit works with your ToneLab independent of how your DAW is set. They're two different operations here, so I'm not sure I understand the issue. Just use the headphone out of the RP to hear your editing changes, and leave whatever audio connections you've made with your DAW or computer's Control Panel for your desired I/O.

• Members

Jon, everything works like you say, editing in both directions and all that. I already had changed the "sound playback" back to my presonus firepod/firewire connection. Only thing is, I still only hear the RP through the headphone out on the RP, the audio doesn't route to the presonus like everything else. It does however route into other applications, Cubase, G-tune, etc., then it goes wherever I want. I guess that keeps me from hearing both the Cubase and "direct" signals on my monitors at the same time when I record, which is good. That was probably the Digi thought process, but makes it a little harder to just jam to an MP3.

• Members

Jon, everything works like you say, editing in both directions and all that. I already had changed the "sound playback" back to my presonus firepod/firewire connection. Only thing is, I still
only
hear the RP through the headphone out on the RP, the audio doesn't route to the presonus like everything else. It does however route into other applications, Cubase, G-tune, etc., then it goes wherever I want. I guess that keeps me from hearing both the Cubase and "direct" signals on my monitors at the same time when I record, which is good. That was probably the Digi thought process, but makes it a little harder to just jam to an MP3.

Okay, now I understand. Yes, this is normal, as the RP acts like an "interface" when used with its USB connection. It must "take over" the whole computer. So once you switch interfaces in the CP to the PreSonus (or your computer's internal soundcard, etc.), you lose the RP's USB-audio connections (though you still have editing).

So you can use the USB for editing, and you can route the audio outs through the PreSonus, you just can't have "two interfaces" operating simultaneously. As far as jamming to an Mp3, just use the audio outs of the RP. I don't really think you're losing any quality; the USB/digital outs are for the convenience of "one-cable DAW recording," not necessarily sonic fidelity. But if you've got a better/more-sophisticated setup (for which the PreSonus surely qualifies), the USB audio capabilites in the RP become unnecessary.

• Members

Is there a way to convert effect settings from the old RP series into the X-Edit application? I am specifically looking to add the Sustainium setting from the RP-50/80. I have the setting in a PDF chart, but they don't really correspond to the settings in X-Edit. I can post the settings here if needed.

I am using an RP-150.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Here is a short personal review of the RP350.
So at first, what am I looking for? I need a Amp modeller for practice with the following features in order of priority:
1. Good distortion Sounds (at least one – I don’t need 10.000 Amps)
2. Good Effect Section (delay, reverb, chorous, flanger, wahwah, univibe would be nice)
3. Aux Input
4. Editing Software if possible without Midi Connectivity needed
5. Headphone Output
6. Expression Pedal Input
Now I practice with a V-Amp 2, borrowed from my brother. But he is asking me every time he’s visiting us, if I still need the amp. LOL. So I start searching for an alternative. The RP350 seemed to fulfil all my needs, so I bought once at ebay with a 30 day Money Back guarantee. 150 Euro that’s a “cheapy”!
When I start checking out this heavy weight modeller I got the first trouble: The Headphone output is a 1/8 ” TSR Jack and my Headphone has a 1/4” TSR plug! So I went to our local store and bought a special offer Headphone with 1/8 “. Now I noticed that the output of the
unit is much too low!!! Ok, Master Volume, Amp Volume and Preset Volume at highest Level. But it’s still to low and now I got unwanted distortion due to the overamplifying of the Headphone Amp. Especially the distortion Sound are too low! I’ d done another test with another headphone but no success! The impedance of both headphones were good (40 Ohms and 10 ohms)
So, I checked the factory presets at low volume with the headphone, but I it was disappointing. Most Distortion Sound were muddy. I start playing guitar about 25 years ago and grew up with the sounds of Lukather, Huff, Vai and Satriani and a lot of Hairmetal. I hoped to get these sounds with this unit. The Satch preset, which you can hear on the Demo of Digitech sounds not in the least as the same over the headphone with the real RP. The distortion sound got no balls, no scream, no punch and either no smack! With tweaking the knobs I could get a “good” Satch preset. But it still misses the punch!
The clean Sounds are good and the acoustic model is very useful.
I didn’t capitulate. I downloaded all the programs from the Digitech homepage to install the USB device, the firmware update and the X-Edit 2.0. My PC didn’t meet the requirements – I run Win2000 not XP. But never touch a running system – so I started to install the USB driver. No problem! I did the firmware update. Also no problem . But the installation of X-Edit stopped with requiring Windows installer 3.0! I downloaded this installer and the .NET from Microsoft and after that the installation works perfect. So X-Edit works an I checked some patches from the Sound Community of Digitech but till now I have not found a patch which fulfils my imagination of a nice distortion sound.
Then I thought I had found a solution for the low Headphone: I run the RP350 through the PC via USB and use the Headphone connector on the PC. But I that seems not to work. I’ve got a new Sound device called: DigiTech USB 1-2 In/Out. But this device has only three playback devices: Wave, CD and SW Synth and no recording devices. So its possible to send music from the PC to the RP350 and that works perfect, but its not possible to route the sound of the RP350 to the PC. Also its not possible to record via USB (I checked it with Cool Edit). And I cannot find a description how do this whether in the internet either in the (short) manual. I’ve got at least two weeks to check this out and find a way to get a good distortion sound at a reasonable Headphone level otherwise the unit goes back to the dealer. Is there anybody who has the same Problem? (Sorry ‘bout my broken English I’m german)

Archived