DIGITECH VOCALIST LIVE 2 - NOW WITH CONCLUSIONS AND VIDEO CLIPS!

Anderton

• Members

Could somebody tell me if the Harmony quality of the digitech compares to the Helicon? Those of you own both would be of a great service here. Thanks

I know I mentioned I’m buying the DigiTech Vocalist Live 4 (and I still may well) but I am have some second thoughts.

I tested it side by side against the TC helicon VoiceLive (I have the rack-mount TC Helicon VoiceWorks they basically share the same innards) using a Shure condenser headset, Gibson Les Paul, and AKG Headphones and I isolated just the pitch altered outputs.

There is no question that the TC helicon VoiceLive had a more realistic fuller timbre. The DigiTech sounded more Chipmunk-like / Darth Vader-like with a vague unfocused blurry-ness by comparison. The naked pitch altered sounds of the TC helicon VoiceLive were simply more dynamic and realistic and with greater clarity.

When I tried the two devices side by side again with the exact same setup and I used the full signal processing power of each unit, the TC helicon VoiceLive had much better effects, and an overall cleaner more transparent signal path.

In other words with the effects or without, the TC helicon VoiceLive made me feel much more like I was listening to professional backup singers in a proper studio environment as compared to the DigiTech Vocalist Live 2.

In fact although I did not bring it along for comparison it seemed the pitch change and formant processing in the new DigiTech Vocalist Live 2 is no better than that as found in my (old and discontinued) DigiTech Vocalist VR, which was IIRC, one of the last if not the last harmonizers made by DigiTech, prior to the DigiTech Vocalist Live 2 / 4.

Alas the TC units do not have musIQ. I must say really liked musIQ and it works very well indeed! Also it could be argued that in a live environ at least, with very careful setting up, the differences might be much less apparent than using headphones in a controlled environ........but certainly using a high quality condenser headset and equally good headphones the differences are readily apparent!

My conclusion would be that if you already have one of the newer TC units you might be better served with the TC HarmonyControl Guitar controller soon to be out in stores.

However if you are more budget minded or do not own of the newer TC units than the VL2 would certainly get you into the ballpark even if it does not hit a sonic home run like the newer TC units.

I have GAS!

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I got my VL2 today and got a chance to play around with the guitar for a little while. My first impressions are "wow"! I will have more time to check it out tomorrow since I am only working a 1/2 day. I will also try it with my keyboard tomorrow also.

• Members

Chumly,
Thank You so much for the comparsion of the (2) Units. I am an owner of the Voiceworks Plus and the Harmonoies are just simply awesome. I also have a VL4 on order but I will now cancel it, with the new HarmonyControl Guitar just about to be released. I was wondering how the two stacked up.

I have a keyboard player in the band i am in, so I am using MIDI allready for all the chord harmony changes, and I am very excited with the harmony sounds I am getting.
I am glad that Digitech has out out a good product fot the money. However I also need quality to also be part of the package. Not to say that the VL2 does not have good sounding harmonies, I am sure it does.

However, I believe that it being user friendly and lower price are the biggest factor's in it's selling. But it comes down to sound for me. Thanks
Here is the link to a live show recording of me using my VoiceLive doing back-
ups with the guitar player. I now own the Voiceworks Model so I could put it in a rack.
It is somewhat large file so be patient, but you will get to hear what a VoiceLive sounds like . Link:

http://bigfilehost.com/en/file/240/Josh-Ramses---Aint-to-Proud-to-Beg-wav.html

• Members

I don't know if this was asked or not;

I'm a bass player in a band, currently using the Vocalist Performer on a mic stand. I'll take shipment of a Live 2 maybe today or tomorrow. Is it possible to plug my bass into the unit and get it to generate harmonies? If not, is it possible to set a microphone with a 1/4" output in front of the guitarist's amp and get the unit to produce harmonies for me?

• Members

I don't know if this was asked or not;

I'm a bass player in a band, currently using the Vocalist Performer on a mic stand. I'll take shipment of a Live 2 maybe today or tomorrow. Is it possible to plug my bass into the unit and get it to generate harmonies? If not, is it possible to set a microphone with a 1/4" output in front of the guitarist's amp and get the unit to produce harmonies for me?

I was able to get the VL2 to work with synth bass, BUT it really needs chords to make decisions about what types of harmonies to add. So I wouldn't recommend bass as the "way to go."

As to guitar, the most reliable option would be to run the guitar into the VL2 and then take the "Guitar thru" from the VL2 into the amp. That way you'll have the VL2 working at its optimum.

• Members

Hey everyone, thanks for the comparisons among various units, I'm sure people here find it helpful.

I think the most important thing to keep in mind is that the VL2 and VL4 are called "Vocalist Live" for a reason -- they're really optimized for small size, ease of use, etc. I agree that TC puts out great vocal products (I still use my VoicePrism!), but I've always thought of them more as "studio" devices.

Having now worked with the VL2 continuously during rehearsals with the band EV2, I can certainly say that for live use, the sound quality definitely cuts it. What sounds "artificial" to me is when I have both harmony lines going in hard rock songs, as the type of music we're doing generally doesn't have lush harmonies going in the background. The sound becomes more "realistic" when I use the high harmony and the other voice set to unison, as it thickens the existing vocal while adding the harmony. But the realism comes from how the box is applied more than how it sounds per se...if we ever do a ballad :), then maybe I'll bring both harmonies in and see how that works.

One of things I really like about the VoicePrism is how it can change the formants of your voice; I also like the built-in effects and gender-changing options. But in terms of playing out, the VL2 sound quality is fine, and the musIQ and portability definitely give it an edge for live performance. It'll be interesting to compare the VL2 to the VL4, it just might be that the VL2 is all I need but we'll see...I hate to admit it, but the idea of having pitch correction appeals to me for those times when the monitor system sucks!

• Members

Hello

I thought you guys should all know that TC-Helicon has just released the mose amazing pedals for singers ever manufactured...

www.tc-helicon.com

They are called "VoiceTone" and they are a new line of affordable, easy to use, pedals...

Create = The Efx pedal. You get: 99 presets, 2 banks, 10 performance modes (10 sounds at your feet) and can customize the presets as well. Create offers the same algorithms as the award winning VoiceLIve. It offers; Reverb, Thickening/Doubling, Delays and Tranducer (mega=phone) type effects.

Correct Pedal = Compression, Dess, EQ Shaping and Chromatic pitch correction.

Hold off on the Digitech stuff... TC-Helicon builds a much superior product and you get the world-class "TC" algorithms. You can read about them on TCH web site.

Hope this helps...

THE VOCALIST STUDIO
Robert J. Lunte I 425.444.5053
Teacher I Coach I Artist
ENDORSED I TC-HELICON Vocal Technologies
www.thevocaliststudio.com
http://www.bitwine.com/users/the_vocalist_studio
www.thevocaliststudio.com/bookalesson
www.voicecouncil.com : Join the Forum
robert@thevocaliststudio.com
www.skype.com : "rjlseagull"
:thu:

• Members

Okay so I hope someone can answer my question about the vocalist live 2. Im considering buying one but I haven't heard anyone touch on this yet. I play in an acoustic trio. The lead vocals are shared between myself and the other guitarist. On the songs I sing he hits the 3rd above harmonies and vice versa. So my question is if I am running the vocalist live 2 and singing the 3rd above can I hit the harmony effect and will the vocalist live 2 pick the right harmonies above the one that I am singing? Now when I am singing the lead vocal and my partner is hitting the 3rd above ( we are very good at harmonies by the way so pitch is not a problem) I thought I could use only the 5th above and it would give us that elusive third harmony above ( sort of the Graham Nash part on Teach Your Children for example). Anybody????

• Members

Create offers the same algorithms as the award winning VoiceLive.

Hold off on the Digitech stuff...

Why would we want to "hold off on the Digitech stuff?"

Can you go into the algorithms on the Create?

How are the chords recognized by the Create unit?

What sort of harmonies does it provide compared to the Digitech Vocalist Live 2 or 4?

• Members
Okay so I hope someone can answer my question about the vocalist live 2. Im considering buying one but I haven't heard anyone touch on this yet. I play in an acoustic trio. The lead vocals are shared between myself and the other guitarist. On the songs I sing he hits the 3rd above harmonies and vice versa. So my question is if I am running the vocalist live 2 and singing the 3rd above can I hit the harmony effect and will the vocalist live 2 pick the right harmonies above the one that I am singing? Now when I am singing the lead vocal and my partner is hitting the 3rd above ( we are very good at harmonies by the way so pitch is not a problem) I thought I could use only the 5th above and it would give us that elusive third harmony above ( sort of the Graham Nash part on Teach Your Children for example). Anybody????

Interesting question!

I've only had my Vocalist 2 since Monday, so I'm still learning what it'll do, and what it won't do, but if I understand what you're getting at, you want to sing the 3rd above your partner's lead and have the V2 add a 3rd above your note, so basically, you want to hear a 6th, also, above your partner's lead, right?

My daughter, Kat, and I were playing with mine Monday evening and I set it on 3rd and 5th above, sang the lead and Kat added the 6th, herself...this definitely works...next time she's over, we'll try it your way (assuming I understood your idea!) and get back to you...

I'm curious what could happen if you run the "guitar through" of one V2 into the guitar input of a 2nd unit, and control both from one guitar, yet still be miking two different voices (one voice to each V2)...might be able to cover 6 different vocal harmonies with 2 voices...

Or it might be dreadful... :idea:

Any thoughts, Craig?

• Members
Hello

I thought you guys should all know that TC-Helicon has just released the mose amazing pedals for singers ever manufactured...

www.tc-helicon.com

They are called "VoiceTone" and they are a new line of affordable, easy to use, pedals...

Create = The Efx pedal. You get: 99 presets, 2 banks, 10 performance modes (10 sounds at your feet) and can customize the presets as well. Create offers the same algorithms as the award winning VoiceLIve. It offers; Reverb, Thickening/Doubling, Delays and Tranducer (mega=phone) type effects.

Correct Pedal = Compression, Dess, EQ Shaping and Chromatic pitch correction.

Hold off on the Digitech stuff... TC-Helicon builds a much superior product and you get the world-class "TC" algorithms. You can read about them on TCH web site.

Hope this helps...

THE VOCALIST STUDIO

Robert J. Lunte I 425.444.5053

Teacher I Coach I Artist

ENDORSED I TC-HELICON Vocal Technologies

www.thevocaliststudio.com

http://www.bitwine.com/users/the_vocalist_studio

www.thevocaliststudio.com/bookalesson

www.voicecouncil.com
: Join the Forum

robert@thevocaliststudio.com

www.skype.com
: "rjlseagull"

:thu:

Well, I checked the product you mentioned, voicetone, but it is not an harmonizer (well i think it is not:D).... the main reason I purchased the VL2 is because it is simple an affordable, even the vl4 looks like it is going to be fully loaded and even cheaper the voicelive.... I do not deny that the TcHelicon is a great company and have great quality, but for the price and ease to use, the digitech vl2 is the winner:thu:.... for me anyways!

Omar

• Members

Here's a question for those of you (like TAH) who are already using the VL2.

How much of a hassle is it to have to bend down to change the parameters of the harmonies? Say, for example, that in your first song, you want the harmonies to be a 3rd and a 5th above your sung notes, but in the next song, you want a harmony voice that is a 3rd under yours. I assume (from looking at the unit online) that the only way to do this is to bend over (if you're standing) or reach down (if you're sitting) and twist the knob that controls this.

I currently use the Digitech Vocalist Performer, and while it doesn't track to the guitar like the VL2 or VL4, one of the best features is that it's mounted right on my mic stand, so I can easily change from one of my presets to the next and then turn the harmonies on or off with a footswitch. I don't know if I really want to be bouncing up and down like a jack-in-the-box during live performances.

What do you think about replacing the harmony selection button with something larger that could be controlled by twisting my foot on it? Would I be able to see my selections or is the printing too small to be detected while standing (I'm six feet tall, so that's pretty far away for these 54 year old eyes).

I'd really like to upgrade, since my 10 year old VP will probably go belly-up any day now, but I don't want to spend upwards of $300 on something I can't really use.

• Members

You would have no other choice with VL2 but to bend down and change the settings. I think with the VL4 you have patches that are controllable with the foot switch so you wouldn't have to bend over to change. I've used the VL2now in about 4 shows and found that I leave it mostly at a 3rd above only. For some songs I use the 3rd and 5th above and I bunch those together on the set list so I don't have to bounce up and down between songs. Having said that, its not a big deal for me to change the harmony buttons because I usually bend down between every song to pick up my drink thats on the floor next to the unit anyway.

• Members

Has anyone posted any sound clips using the unison feature? I am wondering how the "thickening" sounds without the "in your face" harmonies. The harmonies are very cool but I agree that they should probably be used sparingly. Most of the sound clips I have heard have the harmonies really loud, probably intentionally in order to show off the feature.

I'm new at this so I may not know what I'm talking about but most of the commercial songs I hear have harmonies throughout most of the song but they are hard for me to detect. I have to really listen to hear it and it may not be harmonies at all but just doubling of the same vocals. I don't know.... :) I'm just looking for more sound clips.

Thanks
Craig

• Members

I had really been looking for an all-in-one vocal effects unit that I could control from the stage, precisely one that offered a VOCAL DOUBLER.....I have an effects mix that I use in the studio almost religiously (it's kind of becoming my 'own' sound - at least I think it is), and it is wrapped around this vocal doubling effect that I want to be able to use live.
Anyway, I don't have the cash for some of these rackmount effects, so I'm looking for something that won't break the bank.
I also sing in an acoustic trio, duo or solo, so when I saw that the Live 2 and 4 are primarily affordable vocal harmonizers WITH effects, well, I WANT ONE.
So now to my question - I'm not seeing a lot on the effects capabilities of these units, and from my understanding the Live 4 will have more than the Live 2, but does anyone know if either of these units has specifically a VOCAL DOUBLER effect?
If anyone could offer up a complete list of effects on both the Live 2 and Live 4, I would REALLY appreciate it.
:confused:

• Members

How much of a hassle is it to have to bend down to change the parameters of the harmonies? Say, for example, that in your first song, you want the harmonies to be a 3rd and a 5th above your sung notes, but in the next song, you want a harmony voice that is a 3rd under yours. I assume (from looking at the unit online) that the only way to do this is to bend over (if you're standing) or reach down (if you're sitting) and twist the knob that controls this.

There is no knob to twist, other than the lead/harmony "mix" control...the hermony selectors are 2 rows of three on/off bottons the 1st row is (top to bottom) 3rd above, unison, 3rd below...2nd row is 5th above, unison, 5th below.

Most of the gigs I've used the V2 for have been "sit-down gigs", so i just reach down and set it, as needed.

I currently use the Digitech Vocalist Performer, and while it doesn't track to the guitar like the VL2 or VL4, one of the best features is that it's mounted right on my mic stand, so I can easily change from one of my presets to the next and then turn the harmonies on or off with a footswitch. I don't know if I really want to be bouncing up and down like a jack-in-the-box during live performances.

What do you think about replacing the harmony selection button with something larger that could be controlled by twisting my foot on it? Would I be able to see my selections or is the printing too small to be detected while standing (I'm six feet tall, so that's pretty far away for these 54 year old eyes).

I've been giving some thought to how I might be able to control the buttons (all 6 of em!) w/ the toe of my boot, so as to being able to change harmonies while playing a song...possibly glue a larger "cover" over each of the current buttons...

Each button has it's own LED, so seeing what your set-up is is very easy.

I'd really like to upgrade, since my 10 year old VP will probably go belly-up any day now, but I don't want to spend upwards of $300 on something I can't really use.

Other than that very minor niggle, I really like this unit, and have gotten a very positive response to it at every gig I've used it at, so far.

HTH. :)

• Members

Hi,

I think it would be a good idea for you to wait for the VL4.

I am thinking about buying one when they become available. I love the vl2 but the presets and pitch correction... and do not have to bend down for any changes appeals to me :thu:....

Hope it helps!

Omar

• Members

From looking at the manual (I don't have the unit) if all you wanted to change was the harmony between songs, you have two harmonies that you can define as
1st one: 3rd below, 5th below, unison
2nd one: 3rd above, 5th above, unison

These are changed by pressing the button corosponding to the selection so the most you would have to do between songs is press two buttons. That part looks pretty simple. Now, changing from unison in one part of a song to harmony in the chorus of the same song would be a little more difficult but like was mentioned earlier, I see the possibility of attaching some kind of "button extender" so that you can hit it with your foot. Probbaly would void the warranty though if you use super glue :)

This is assuming that the volume ratio of lead vocals to harmony vocals remains the same, and any effects you are using that are defined by the VL2 remain the same.

Craig

• Members
From looking at the manual (I don't have the unit) if all you wanted to change was the harmony between songs, you have two harmonies that you can define as

1st one: 3rd below, 5th below, unison

2nd one: 3rd above, 5th above, unison

These are changed by pressing the button corosponding to the selection so the most you would have to do between songs is press two buttons. That part looks pretty simple. Now, changing from unison in one part of a song to harmony in the chorus of the same song would be a little more difficult but like was mentioned earlier, I see the possibility of attaching some kind of "button extender" so that you can hit it with your foot. Probbaly would void the warranty though if you use super glue
:)

This is assuming that the volume ratio of lead vocals to harmony vocals remains the same, and any effects you are using that are defined by the VL2 remain the same.

Craig

If anybody can create a device like that...please let me know the specifacations! I would like that...then the VL2 would be perfect!!!!

Omar

• Members

I'm sick and tired of distributors not knowing a solid release date on the VL4. I'm even more pissed off that the official company can't even put a release date on the damn box when it's supposedly being released at the end of THIS MONTH.

Does anyone know a single insider that can give me and the rest of the world any insight as to when the VL4 will finally ship? I can't wait any longer without knowing when the end will be near.

• Members
I just received a VL4 so I know it exists
:)
It will of course take a while longer to fill the pipeline of stores, this one was sent direct from the factory.

If you do not have time, you can send it to me, i'll do a review!!!! :thu:

Just kidding...

hope to hear about it, are you starting a new thread?, or are you going to continue it with this thread?...

Omar

Archived