DIGITECH VOCALIST LIVE 2 - NOW WITH CONCLUSIONS AND VIDEO CLIPS!

Anderton

• Members

I have the VL2 and I tried running the mic, mono out from the VL2 into my sound card, a Delta 1010LT using an XLR cable and I could not turn the level down enough to prevent clipping on my computer. No matter what I did, I couldn't get it to do anything but full, clipped, distorted volume. It seems to work fine when I run the same "mono out" into my PA mixer. Even with the mic input level knob turned all the way down I still get the full, clipped, distorted sound into the sound card.

I know I'm missing something stupid here but I haven't figured out yet what it is.

Craig

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I have the VL2 and I tried running the mic, mono out from the VL2 into my sound card, a Delta 1010LT using an XLR cable and I could not turn the level down enough to prevent clipping on my computer. No matter what I did, I couldn't get it to do anything but full, clipped, distorted volume. It seems to work fine when I run the same "mono out" into my PA mixer. Even with the mic input level knob turned all the way down I still get the full, clipped, distorted sound into the sound card.

I know I'm missing something stupid here but I haven't figured out yet what it is.

Craig

why don't you try sending the signal from your mixer? or check your configurations, I am not familiar with your sound card, but there might be a way to lower the input volume, like the gain knob, in your sound card...

One more thing, I noticed that the signal (mono out) from the vl2 is pretty hot, I was going to use it as a microphone input in my mixer and it was very loud..., then I used it as a line input in my mixer (still using xlr cables, but pressing the button to change between line and mic input) and it worked great......

try also buying a cable from xlr female to balanced 1/4, if you have an 1/4 input, this might work for you..... or use the stereo out...

hope this helps. :thu:

Omar

• Members

Just joining up here as I now have a Vocalist 2.

I agree that using your mixer to bring into your computer should do the trick ... no doubt a sound card problem here. You may also try the line out connections as opposed to the XLR connections - could be an inexpedience issue - there are XLR adapters that can match as well if you are stuck on using the XLR.

As for levels in from your guitar, I'm also experiencing low levels both for electric and acoustic. I'm using a compressor (BOSS CS3) to boost the sound in and it works very well. I'm finding the green light really has to be lit all the time for best harmony. Same with the vocals really. The highest level you can get without distorting is the trick.

My TC Helicon has gone on the fritz twice and a loaner unit once for a grand total of three issues in less than seven months. I'm wondering if anyone else has/had a TC Helicon (VoiceLive) and has had issues and now bailed on it? The DigiTech seems so much easier I regret having bought the Helicon at all.

Let me add that keeping the guitar in tune is really more critical than I hoped. I'm using Gibsons and they do drift. Perhaps some more tolerance on the "device" that generates the harmony - maybe a higher intelligence kind of thing that could say, oh the guitar isn't quite there but I will adjust for that.

Seems possible but, generally, I'm way into this unit over the other and will be trying the Vocalist 4 for sure. Oh, I really wish they and Helicon would have an on/off switch. It seems potentially an issue (and may have been with my Helicon) to have the unit power up with just plugging it in.

• Members

I have the VL2 and I tried running the mic, mono out from the VL2 into my sound card, a Delta 1010LT using an XLR cable and I could not turn the level down enough to prevent clipping on my computer.

This has been a problem for many people. Most assume it's a vocal device, it has an XLR out, it's mic level - but that's not the case, the XLR is definitely a line level output. Set up the sound card so the VL2 goes into a line level input and you should be okay.

• Members

I can't wait to try the V4 unit (I still am comparing the unit to TC Helicon voicelive to see which is the best one for my situation). I like that the V4 does not have to use a guitar input.

What is your situation? If you are playing an instrument as well as singing you may find the TC Helicon (as I did) is pretty cumbersome and takes away from your singing as opposed to enhancing it. By this I mean, the potential steps you have to stomp through to keep the harmony correct (e.g. key changes etc) don't help you focus on the vocal itself - makes you more concerned about stomping at the right times instead of are you singing well!

If you are using midi already and keys especially, then you may have a completely different experience to mine.

A note on the V4, I think you mean output vs. input, since you still have to get the guitar in to have the harmony work. I believe the output will share a mix out on the unit (shared with the vocal out) and this would be similar to the VoiceLive unit but the VoiceLive pots are pretty sensitive int he worst way. A slight turn sends you up or down pretty fast and way past the setting you are looking to have. Don't know what the V4 will have but I do hope it will be more analogue in its feel so you can adjust with ease.

Be very interested to read your reactions to both.

• Members

I just got my Vocalist 2 and am very pleased with it. A few months prior I purchased a Boss BR-1200 digital recording studio. Anyone have an idea on how I can interface the Vocalist 2 with the BR-1200 and use it to record vocals :confused: ( along with pre recorded guitar I guess )

• Members

Regarding the need to boost the guitar signal for the VL2 to work properly, I could especially see the necessity for some sort of boost if you're a guitarist who likes to use your volume knob to alter your sound. As a Tele player, I almost never play with the volume full up unless I want to overdrive my signal slightly. I usually leave my volume at around 50-60% to keep my tone clean and clear, boosting when needed for more gain/drive. It's possible the harmonies would track correctly even if the guitar's only at 50% output, but my point is if you like to play with your volume knob then you could run the risk of either sending too weak a signal or too strong a signal, not to mention possibly limiting your control of your sound.

• Members

ROCK ON!

The Vocalist Live 4 SHIPS TODAY!

"Hi,
They should start shipping today, aug 20th

William Clayton
Harman Music Group
Technical Support Group"

Hoorah! I'm going to go to a guitar center and pick one up immediamente.

• Members

Record a dry track of straight to the board guitar that delineates the chord changes of the tune. Use that to trigger the VL2.

What he said - I've tried that and it works fine. You can even shift the guitar track a bit ahead in time to make sure the vocal lands just after the chord has hit.

• Members

First posting here....Hello everyone!

I am going back and forth between getting the TC Helicon and the VL4. I am the lead singer and rhythm guitar player in a classic rock cover band. The essential feature set of these units (ie, harmony generation and pitch correction) are exactly what I am looking for. The big impact it will have on the band is the ability to bring new material in quickly...for us it usually takes far longer to learn the harmonies and get them solid than it does to learn the song!

Money isn't really a factor. From what I can see, I can get a VL4 for $500, or a Helicon for $800, plus another $200 for the MIDI interface so it automatically reads the guitar chords. All things being equal, I'd rather not spend the extra $500, but if that's what it takes to get the right sound and the right setup, then no problem.

From what I've read, it seems like the "pros" of the Digitech really come down to simplicity. Simple to learn, simple to setup, simple to use. And price too, I suppose.

The "pros" of the Helicon are sound quality and flexibility. Also long term road-worthiness. I guy I know has one, and its a brick. Very tough.

The "cons" of the Digitech are (a) Is it really pro-level gear? I've seen Digitech stuff in the past that is more 'toy' than 'tool'. will it hold up night after night in a working band situation? (b) Is the sound quality really there?

The "cons" of the Helicon are its complexity, both in setup and in operation. And the price.

At the moment, I am leaning toward the VL4. Even if the MIDI interface on the Helicon works as described, its my sense that I would still spend more time fiddling with it on stage than the VL4. I want to interact with my audience, not my pedals! My thinking on the sound quality question is that the Helicon may be somewhat better, but that the difference would be lost in the overall bar band environment. Its not like this is a quiet listening environment, and its not like people are studiously listening for every nuance.

Any thought or comments?

• Members

What is your situation? If you are playing an instrument as well as singing you may find the TC Helicon (as I did) is pretty cumbersome and takes away from your singing as opposed to enhancing it. By this I mean, the potential steps you have to stomp through to keep the harmony correct (e.g. key changes etc) don't help you focus on the vocal itself - makes you more concerned about stomping at the right times instead of are you singing well!

If you are using midi already and keys especially, then you may have a completely different experience to mine.

A note on the V4, I think you mean output vs. input, since you still have to get the guitar in to have the harmony work. I believe the output will share a mix out on the unit (shared with the vocal out) and this would be similar to the VoiceLive unit but the VoiceLive pots are pretty sensitive int he worst way. A slight turn sends you up or down pretty fast and way past the setting you are looking to have. Don't know what the V4 will have but I do hope it will be more analogue in its feel so you can adjust with ease.

Be very interested to read your reactions to both.

I want a unit to use both live and in the studio. When playing live I play guitar and vocals. I heard that the V4 does not require the use of a guitar (you can select scale or something). I really don't want to have to use a guitar or other instrument to guide it (my guitarist and I both play the songs, sometimes I do the fills and sometimes he does). I appreciate the info on the TC being cumbersome because that is very important to me. I want something that sounds good (pitch correction works well) realistic harmonies (my group cant sing), does not require an instrument input to guide it, and to be easy to use............I may be wanting too much.

• Members

First posting here....Hello everyone!

I am going back and forth between getting the TC Helicon and the VL4. I am the lead singer and rhythm guitar player in a classic rock cover band. The essential feature set of these units (ie, harmony generation and pitch correction) are exactly what I am looking for. The big impact it will have on the band is the ability to bring new material in quickly...for us it usually takes far longer to learn the harmonies and get them solid than it does to learn the song!

Money isn't really a factor. From what I can see, I can get a VL4 for $500, or a Helicon for $800, plus another $200 for the MIDI interface so it automatically reads the guitar chords. All things being equal, I'd rather not spend the extra $500, but if that's what it takes to get the right sound and the right setup, then no problem.

From what I've read, it seems like the "pros" of the DigiTech really come down to simplicity. Simple to learn, simple to setup, simple to use. And price too, I suppose.

The "pros" of the Helicon are sound quality and flexibility. Also long term road-worthiness. I guy I know has one, and its a brick. Very tough.

The "cons" of the DigiTech are (a) Is it really pro-level gear? I've seen DigiTech stuff in the past that is more 'toy' than 'tool'. will it hold up night after night in a working band situation? (b) Is the sound quality really there?

The "cons" of the Helicon are its complexity, both in setup and in operation. And the price.

At the moment, I am leaning toward the VL4. Even if the MIDI interface on the Helicon works as described, its my sense that I would still spend more time fiddling with it on stage than the VL4. I want to interact with my audience, not my pedals! My thinking on the sound quality question is that the Helicon may be somewhat better, but that the difference would be lost in the overall bar band environment. Its not like this is a quiet listening environment, and its not like people are studiously listening for every nuance.

Any thought or comments?

I've been posting that I've had troubles with the TC Helicon unit. Two issues on the one I purchased and one on a loaner. Both were new units purchased in December - one I bought and one the store kept as a rental. My unit has an issue with power on/off - the rental/loaner has just crapped out with the software in that you can't edit patches - it loops back to the starting 1 position.

I am interested in your reference to "built like a tank". The unit feels that way but I would say that there is an issue with the software and perhaps power board. There is no on/off switch on these (nor the V2) and I can't help but feel the power surge on start up is an issue. My experience says the thing is NOT road worthy.

The V2 does seem less sturdy to be sure but there isn't the issue of programming with it. The disturbing thing to me is losing my patches on the Helicon. Yes, you can use (and save) with midi but I don't have a computer to do that at this point. The V4 will have writable patches and you (we) may find similar issues with it. Currently the V2 seems like a great compromise in simplicity and reliability. It is small enough to fit well on a pedal board with other effects you might use for one. The TC Helicon unit that tracks guitar for harmony is an add on and you will have to run this into the original unit. Now, that's two pieces and the big unit does not adapt well to a pedal board. It really is meant to stand on its own I think without any other stuff.

So, have a look at both but definitely try the same songs on each and, if you use other effects, I'd sure bring those out so you can get the feel of what you have to do with the Helicon to keep it all together in your song - playing, singing, stomping etc.

I was just blown away with the DigiTech and this was before the TC Helicon loaner went on me.

I really believe in the "three strikes" concept. That's three for the TC Helicon and it's "out" Can't rely on it for a show. Now my problem is what to do with it when my own unit gets repaired. I am hoping the store will buy it back. Either way, wanting to be honest, I'll have to say it was in the shop twice and it is only seven months old.

If anyone has had issues with DigiTech I'd like to know. I guess the V2 is just too new to know if there will be any "roadworthy" problems. This plus the V4 now coming, could complicate things for a while until we hear about the live experiences with it.

Anyhow, hope this helps a bit on your thinking

• Members

Any thought or comments?

The argument that the audience may not hear the difference in a band environment between the TC Helicon units and the DigiTech units is valid to a point, but ask your guitar player to use only one $300 guitar and only a Pod 2.0 direct to the board with no additional effects or guitar amps etc because the audience will not know the difference.

I use IEM’s and believe me the difference is noticeable between the TC Helicon units and the DigiTech units. It’s a more pleasing singing experience sonically with the TC Helicon units but it's an easier (and sometimes) harmonically more accurate musical experience with the DigiTech units. DigiTech's musIQ™ is a hoot!

Whether the new TC Helicon Harmony Control Guitar will bridge that gap and make TC Helicon gear the better overall choice remains to be seen.

For me it’s simple: the better the overall PA the better I can sing. Why? Because I always sing in a relaxed manner with a moderate dynamic and let the PA do the work. I never try and make my voice overcome inadequacies in the signal chain.

• Members

I want a unit to use both live and in the studio. When playing live I play guitar and vocals. I heard that the V4 does not require the use of a guitar (you can select scale or something). I really don't want to have to use a guitar or other instrument to guide it (my guitarist and I both play the songs, sometimes I do the fills and sometimes he does). I appreciate the info on the TC being cumbersome because that is very important to me. I want something that sounds good (pitch correction works well) realistic harmonies (my group cant sing), does not require an instrument input to guide it, and to be easy to use............I may be wanting too much.

You'll still have to get the guitar into the unit but there is an option to be more elaborate with your harmonies. I may be wrong here - maybe you can track guitar chords as well as go independent. The V4 promises to have built in patches, as well as user built ones, pitch correction and other things.

My fear is that this will take away some of the V2's core simplicity and perhaps not last (see my other post references to the TC Helicon and issues around power). None-the-less both the V2 the V4 are laid out more effectively for a guitar player to use in context with other effects on your rack or board than the TC Helicon.

The V4 is going to be double the length of the V2 and that really isn't that much larger. The V2 is so light it hasn't added any weight to my rack. I expect the V4 will be nearly the same actual weight so, to me, that is a good thing and big selling point for road use. Especially if you like to keep your sound consistent on shows - be they two song open stage work or longer gigs.

I repeat that the amazing thing about the V2 is that you plug yourself in and sing! Awesome (as long as your guitar is in tune and the input level is high).

I read the reviews of the TC Helicon at Harmony Central and many talked about the programming issues. In retrospect, I should have heeded these "warnings" a bit more but, at the time, the unit was one of the few "road" unit options available and had been out for a couple of years so I went for it.

I really do want to hear of anyone else who has encountered power/ and/or software issues on the Helicon. I find it just too odd that two different units would encounter problems in the space of seven months. Can't be just bad luck on my part - has to be something else.

If we see reports about the V2 and V4 going down in the same time limits, I'll be writing exactly the same thing about them. But I think anyone reading this should know about the problems with the TC Helicon when they are comparing the two company units (DigiTech vs. Helicon).

The repair tech told me explicitly that the TC Helicon's have been coming in for the power patch fix and, if this fix does not work, the board gets replaced. I really think it may be a recall issue. But now I'm ranting. Sorry :0)

• Members

The argument that the audience may not hear the difference in a band environment between the TC Helicon units and the DigiTech units is valid to a point, but ask your guitar player to use only one $300 guitar and only a Pod 2.0 direct to the board with no additional effects or guitar amps etc because the audience will not know the difference.

I use IEM’s and believe me the difference is noticeable between the TC Helicon units and the DigiTech units. It’s a more pleasing singing experience sonically with the TC Helicon units but it's an easier (and sometimes) harmonically more accurate musical experience with the DigiTech units. DigiTech's musIQ™ is a hoot!

Whether the new TC Helicon Harmony Control Guitar will bridge that gap and make TC Helicon gear the better overall choice remains to be seen.

For me it’s simple: me the better I sound the better I can sing.

I want to add here that to get the "better sound", and I think that's debatable) from the Helicon takes a lot more fiddling around! That may not matter to some but, all I can say is that I'd rather spend time focusing on delivery than programming.

Every time you try to throw in some nuance on your vocals with the Helicon you get bad harmony - it's been real hard to program for the nuances ... when you do you have to sing it exactly the same way and stomp your way through the cycle to follow your vocal line. The DigiTech goes with you better. The only issue I've found on the DigiTech is that you really have to hit your chord change first before singing or the harmony won't quite go where you want it to. I believe an earlier review pointed out that this becomes somewhat intuitive after working it a bit. I also get more noise (hiss) from the Helicon than the DigiTech - noticeable on recording vs. live. I do hear a difference in the mix you can do from the Helicon vs. the DigiTech but not so much the quality of the harmony per se. I have found the DigiTech to be limited in the sound balance. But, I want to point out that getting the same balance on all your effect harmony patches with the Helicon was not quick. Separate adjustments of all of the vocal parts and room effects etc, etc. It was, like, 5 hrs to set up for almost every song. I'm sorry but that isn't fun to me - not having to bend down and adjust and then play the song again and see if it was right. I'm speaking as a player here - you almost need a "Helicon set up roadie" who can adjust while you play ... so you can get the exact setting you want on the patch. A further annoying thing on the unit is the controls digitally fly adjust - by that I mean, you can't always avoid zipping by the setting you want. Very frustrating to work with. But, some people may enjoy that aspect of the "production" so to speak.

Be interested to know if anyone else feels the size and weight differences between the Helicon and the DigiTech are a deal breaker. I mean, I can't be the only one who doesn't like the layout and bulk of the Helicon? The DigiTech is so lean and light - it was a pleasure dropping it in my board beside some other effects.

• Members

There's a saying that I've often relied on in business: "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good".

Somehow, I'm starting to get a sense that that is in play here. The TC Helicon unit seems like it is targeting a "studio rack" level of capability. I don't think I really need that in a live environment.

On the other hand, I'm kindof sour on Digitech stuff. What I've seen over the years did not strike me as pro gear. More like stuff a high school kid would use to play around in the basement. I haven't put my hands on a VL4 yet, so I'm more than willing to be convinced that that impression is wrong in this case.

In any case, I'm going to buy a VL4 through Musician's Friend. Not sure when it will ship, but I'll post a review once I get it.

Just a quick update....

I just got off the phone with Musician's Friend. They gave me a nice discount thanks to the large amount of business I do with them. That's the good news.

The bad news is they still don't have any in stock. Other than the pre-production demo that Digitech showed them, they are yet to see their first unit. I asked how many they had on pre-order, and he couldn't say exactly but did offer that it was well over 200 units.

• Members

There's a saying that I've often relied on in business: "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good".

Somehow, I'm starting to get a sense that that is in play here. The TC Helicon unit seems like it is targeting a "studio rack" level of capability. I don't think I really need that in a live environment.

On the other hand, I'm kind of sour on DigiTech stuff. What I've seen over the years did not strike me as pro gear. More like stuff a high school kid would use to play around in the basement. I haven't put my hands on a VL4 yet, so I'm more than willing to be convinced that that impression is wrong in this case.

In any case, I'm going to buy a VL4 through Musician's Friend. Not sure when it will ship, but I'll post a review once I get it.

Just a quick update....

I just got off the phone with Musician's Friend. They gave me a nice discount thanks to the large amount of business I do with them. That's the good news.

The bad news is they still don't have any in stock. Other than the pre-production demo that Digitech showed them, they are yet to see their first unit. I asked how many they had on pre-order, and he couldn't say exactly but did offer that it was well over 200 units.

Yes I meant to comment on this in an earlier post. I too have found DigiTech stuff to be poor in other units - returned them to the store.

The V2 reverb, compressor and enhances (the left side of the unit if you will) are a little weak and do have a toy like feel to them. However the reverb is acceptable enough if there is no alternative. The compressor gate is something you can't adjust on the unit unless you rdo not use the effects at all. I find on a recording you do get the sound of the gate coming on and off at points and this bothers me. It's not so bad live since there are lots of competing sounds that mask it. The gate is useful to stop leakage of your guitar through the mic - especially useful on an acoustic but, again, annoying in that you can't really adjust the timing of it on the V2. I believe the V4 will give you this capability.

I'd say the V2 will give an impression of being more "toy" like than the Helicon - no contest there. But, to paraphrase your start ... "less is more".

I've found Berringer product and Dan Electro to give the same "toy" vibe but I still swear by my Dan Echo unit and my Berringer DI - they just seem to do the trick for me. So, maybe it's a case of what does the job well enough and reliably enough. Time will tell if the V2 can hack it - the knobs and effects-harmony on/off pads do not give that "tank" like impression.

Not sure where you are located, but I've had the V4 on order since February here in Toronto Canada. It may be a while before it gets here. I am very curious how it will enhance on the V2. Let us know what you think as soon as you get yours and how it stacks up in your mind.

• Members
I want to add here that to get the "better sound", and I think that's debatable) from the Helicon takes a lot more fiddling around!

No it does not, as the inherent quality for the pitched vocals are better, and the signal path is much cleaner (i.e. S/N ratio) and the effects are better.

• Members

I read the reviews of the TC Helicon at Harmony Central and many talked about the programming issues. In retrospect, I should have heeded these "warnings" a bit more but, at the time, the unit was one of the few "road" unit options available and had been out for a couple of years so I went for it.

I really do want to hear of anyone else who has encountered power/ and/or software issues on the Helicon. I find it just too odd that two different units would encounter problems in the space of seven months. Can't be just bad luck on my part - has to be something else.

Many people do not know MIDI from a mud pie let alone basic harmony, chord and scalic theory, as to "programming issues" I expect those same people would have "programming issues" with a number of modern devices, if you like simple the VL2 is your best bet by a country mile.

BTW I own two TC Helicon harmonizers, and I do not have "programming issues" or any other "problems" but I am interested in the VL4 for ease of use and the very-very cool MusIQ! I just wish the DigiTech units had equal quality sound and MIDI access.

• Members

Many people do not know MIDI from a mud pie let alone basic harmony, chord and scalic theory, as to "programming issues" I expect those same people would have "programming issues" with a number of modern devices, if you like simple the VL2 is your best bet by a country mile.

BTW I own two TC Helicon harmonizers, and I do not have "programming issues" or any other "problems" but I am interested in the VL4 for ease of use and the very-very cool MusIQ! I just wish the DigiTech units had equal quality sound and MIDI access.

Good point ;0) Ya got to decide where you want to go with the song in all cases at the Helicon (us mud pie-ers anyway) and go from there with each and every adjustment possible but you know that.

For me, the unit knobs just zip by the setting you want (way too fast say between -1, -2,-3 etc) and it is the added work of adjusting, trying it out, adjusting some more, trying it out some more, etc etc that is very labour intensive. I think people need to know that the Helicon is not a simple beast but a beast of burden in the sense that you've got to work it.

If you are going through midi at a keyboard I guess you've got the same advantage as with the guitar in going through the V2. I think it's a bit of apples and oranges there.

I hope you won't have issues with either machine(s). You've got to admit it's pretty frustrating to see two 980+ dollar units go south in less than a year.

• Members

No it does not, as the
inherent
quality for the pitched vocals are better, and the signal path is much cleaner (i.e. S/N ratio) and the effects are better.

I'd just add in rebuttal theory (inherent) is one thing. In play, the sound on both can sound pretty bad. A lot of what the Helicon offers is just junk that you would never use such as kid voices and such. On a basic comparison, while singing and playing your axe, I think most would conclude the sounds are pretty close. In both units, the mix is a key I think. Too much of the harmony on either unit sounds "false" and the blend of the live voice is critical. A lot of singing teachers hate the whole concept including my own teacher but I love that you can add dimension to your solo work or band vocals. I hope we can agree that it is best used subtly no matter what unit you choose.

• Members

Hi whinersmusic,
You make some good points too and yep I agree that vocal processors have becomes a bit of a money pit the last few years. For me I would take exception that “a lot of what the Helicon offers is just junk that you would never use such as kid voices and such”.

Here’s why: I do a solo act and on breaks I’ll invite people up to show them all the cool toys, it really draws them in, and they will ask for my business card and want to get to know me better (not always a good thing mind!).

I do a number of novelty and comedy things and the TC is great for that stuff, example singing church-choir-style “Dearly beloved we are gathered here to commemorate the loss of…….”

For the tune “Tequila” a bizarrely altered voice is a hoot! I would say about 10% to 20% of my tunes might use the VoiceWorks rather prominently.

As to how much I use them in the mix that is a tough one to assess, it really depends on the tune and what I am trying to do, i.e. subtle, overt, funny, serious.

I think of the TC VoiceWorks more as a performance tool than an adjunct (or compliment) to my solo voice. I have been using vocal harmonizers live in my solo act since the early ‘90s starting with the DigiTech ISP33 so I have some experience in that regard.

What you may well find is that after the blush wears off you will want to push the VL2’s performance capabilities, and in that regard it will be disappointing.

The VL2 is clearly more of a set-it and forget-it meat and potatoes average sounding device as compared to the VoiceWorks and possibly the VL4, but the VL4’s performance capabilities remain to be seen. The fact that the VL4 is MIDI-less is not a good sign however.

Archived