That song that made you want to play?

knotty

• Members

kherman wrote:

OK!

I'll admit it!

KISS ( in the 70's)

kiss

No real single song. I loved (still do) a lot of the 70's era KISS.

Strutter, Black Diamond, Detroit Rock City, Love Gun. Etc...

Made me want to learn an instrument.

Kiss Alive

Kiss was the one for me, too. Especially Alive. That was the first Kiss album I ever owned. More than any other record, that was what really made me want to play. I wanted to learn all those killer riffs. And I did learn many of those songs. I don't play them much anymore, but I pull them out once in a while -- it's still in the muscle memory.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Can't name a song that made me want to play as I started so early but I can name an acoustic piece I dreamed of being able to play and eventually achieved it. Alex de Grassi's Causaway felt at one time unachievable and I did learn it and recorded it in a studio for a cover album I did in the 90's.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=5780414

On electric, I think "Lazy" from Deep Purple is one I was proud I could finally play.

• Members

"Wipeout" by the Surfaris.

It was the first song I learned to play on electric guitar. My younger brother got a drum set at the same time I bought my first electric guitar and we would charge the neighborhood kids a quarter to come hear us play "Wipeout" in our basement.

I still play it today at my gigs. The crowd loves it.

• Members

Alexilaiho wrote:

I first heard iron man back in 2003 and decided "screw the violin!!" And basically forged ahead with it

Why is that? I've read stories where players like Eddie Van Halen and Jake E Lee were classically trained pianists, and they gave it up for guitar.

I understand rock and rebellion, but why didn't you also try to incorporate the violin into that? You may have; I'm not assuming that you didn't. Just asking.

If you have not already, check out late sixties Fairport Convention, because Dave Swarbrick was a classically trained violinist who converted to a more rock style and would trade lightning speed licks with Richard Thompson on guitar.

• Members

this song kicks ass!! and yes i can play it.

got the lethur records version of this album i was 11 and love the whole album.

I got it at some little record store in reseda around the corner from the country club

81 or 82?this was the first motley song i heard!!

saw them for the first time opening for Kiss (creatures of the night)tour.

• Members

" All Along the Watchtower " Hendrix version, I was 8 years old in the late sixties and the neighborhood I grew up in had more than its share of rock star wanna be's. There were always bands playing in someones front yard,garage or basement. And the one song they could all play was " Watchtower ". I remember hearing that and watching the older guys jammin and I said that's what I wanna do, and I did. and YES, I can play an acceptable version of it

Archived