got pinspots, no real ideas yet though

• Members

mad some wheeling/dealing a month ago, got 4 wedges and two power amps from a friend (i paid a fair price, not given away or anything).

when i was leaving he threw a bunch of lites in my van. mostly boring stuff i wont use but the 4 pinspots caught my eye - and they all work. chauvet ya5 or something. i looked it up and the 4 would cost around $100 new, and they are like new. no scratches.

i have 2 dimmer packs that can be switched from dimmer to switches on an individual output basis (and 3 that cannot). i really like these pinspots but havent come up with any ideas on what to do with them yet. maybe a fan pointing out above the drums? something up front?

everything is on tripods, no truss. i have four 4-bars.

• Members

A good while back I had a set of 4 of them and used a dedicated box for them that could be switched or dimmable. I used it as a switch box for the 4 of them, each on its own channel. For a while I sed them as a fan from the rear truss over the drummer as you mentioned. It was OK but not special enough to be worth the trouble. I didn't want my lights to look like everyone else's. The best effect I had with TIGHT pin spots was to mount them tight together on a bar with the switch box. The bar was on the floor behind the drummer. The pinspots were set to shine like a fan starting on the floor and going to the roof and sidewalls of the bars. When I had enough haze going, and you hit them all on, it looked like the drummer was at the center of a fan going up and out. By having them on seprate channels, I could make the beam move from one side to the other (cheesy like stop action photography...only four distinct steps.) That did make it stand out more than the standard fan. Lately, they get used as a doorstop for the shop. I gave up on them because the effect just wasn't enough to justify the added labor of mving and setting them up, not to mention the wiring and programming channels being consumed for a brief, but cool effect.

• Members

Those pins may not play well with some dimmer packs. They have a step down transformer in them. Switchpack is the way to go. I like lots of small bright pinspots with haze great effect light with lots of beams possible.

• Members

gordonsound2 wrote:

Pinspots are really only good with fog or in a smoky bar or on a mrror ball, you could rewire and make acl's out of them w/ 28 volt lamps

That reminds me - there was a closeout on 12V floods the right size at Home Depot a few years back and I stuck some in pins, great little dim uplights (the pins have 6V transformers) for placement near an onstage mixer or whatever.

Archived