HC KSS Synth Demos

clusterchord

• Members

Great JUNO demos, Don!
The self-oscillation is definitely JUNO-60's advantage over my Alpha JUNO. Also the LFO seems to work deeper, and the arpeggiator is good.
The near-sine vibrato sound in the first demo is impressive, and I came to see JUNO-60's filter is better than Alpha. Your sound design makes JUNO a very nice analog poly-synth.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Phase Distortion Synth

Intentionally didn't put synth name at the top, because i know 90% of people wouldn't bother to listen to the demo thinking "ah, this synth is crap". So before saying that, please take just 2 minutes to listen and tell me what you think of this synth.

All the sounds, including drums were made on the Phase Distortion Synth aka Casio CZ-1 Cosmosynthesizer, worth 70 bucks (yup!). No external effects, no EQ, just standard overdub plus volume normalization - custom patches, all recorded directly into the PC - and that's it.

Phase Distortion Synth [02.47]

• Members
wow, that's an excellent production... so clean and airy, great pads... best ex5 demo i ever heard
:thu:

Thanks. I'm glad you like it. It wasn't great effort for me, made it in 40 minutes. There are only 3 overdubbed sounds in this track, believe it or not:) .

The fact is, EX5 is capable of very wide range of sounds, not just standard workstation trumpet-piano-strings ones (which I dislike the most on synths, but still keeping EX5 because of the other reasons, like this one).

• Members

messing around with a sound I did today on the Andromeda. Fun :)

the 2ms envelope delay makes it really snap, and I'm only using the fast settings
for the engine optimiser, not the clicky ultra setting.

basicly a sync tone, arp'ed and latched on the A6, delay is from A6.
Then I was mucking with the settings etc
There is some convultion reverb from the back of a van for ambience :p

http://www.members.optushome.com.au/coolcolj/SoundBites/CC_A6_SyncArp.mp3

• Members

The sound by itself is unremarkable, but it really works well with the arp

add some pitch modulation with the mod wheel, turn on the portamento in
legato2 mode,
switch it to 2 voice unison, and then add the delay effect, play with Filter
2 and the envelope
settings and it does the business :)

http://www.members.optushome.com.au/coolcolj/SoundBites/CC_A6_SyncArp2.mp3

• Members

Great job Mr. Solaris!

I like the sound of the synth but I don't like the dynamics, but i guess that is due to the idea: proving that the CZ-1 can sound fat in a production.

Soon I will publish a production done on a Nord Lead 3 doing Simmons SDS-V drums, MiniMoog, OBX-a, DX-7 and realistic brass, strings and electric guitar... :evil:

• Members
an1x.jpg

Yamaha AN1-x Demos
Built these two demos right after JP demos to prove myself AN1-x can go well beyond JP-8000, JP-8080 and many other VA's when it comes to sound sculpting, thanks to its complex routing. (Yeah, there are no supersaws and deep externall processing as on 8080, but you can't have it all, eh?). AN1-x is peanuts these days, yet it sounds like this:

Multi Demo 1 [03:37]

Multi Demo 2 [04:55] part from 00:00 to 00:30 music composed by Sealed

No external processing. All sounds programmed by Don Solaris.
Note: above demos are available on Sealed's deepsynthesis.net site.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Wow! Those AN1x demos from Don Solaris are amazing! I don't care what anyone says.. to my ears, that is the most analog sounding VA I've heard. Yamaha should really repackage that synth as a more flexible better built unit with more polyphony.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Another one of my meaningless Sunsyn demos (6,61 MB). No FX, no limiting/normalization, two instances of overdubbing:

0:00-0:15 A harpsichord type of sound. If I'd ever do a remake of ELO's Confusion, this would be my starting point. Two sounds layered.

0:16-1:00 A meaningless "tweaking while playing" bassline thingy.

1:01-1:11 A silly sync sound.

1:12-1:30 Another silly sync sound, watch your ears

1:31-2:10 "Hey, that dude is trying to play Vangelis, let's all laugh and point at him!" Layered string pad.

2:11-4:06 Just a meaningless arpeggio I recorded after calibrating the envelopes for the first time.

- CM

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
technicssxwsa1la6.jpg

WSA 1 Acoustic Modeling Synth
Found it for cheap (260). Fantastic for Pads, can stand right next to JD-990. Only problem is the lack of useful waveforms - even D-70 has a better waveform set. This is not "Physical" but "Acoustic" Modeling synth, which means only the resonator parts are modelled. It also has classic 4 tones structure (as the JD) with resonant filters (12/24dB). Lack of some useful waveforms can somehow be compensated by using resonators that can alter the original tone into many different ones - and is most importantly located prior to filter.

Most interesting thing about this synth is that the sound is rich even without using the chorus or delay. For example i can't imagine a sound on JD-990 without a touch of chorus and delay, but over here, you don't need it - it is already "wide" and rich. The synth has 3 efx processors.

Pros: This synth should be awarded for the worst collection of internal presets, which is a good news for me as many people sell them for cheap because "sounds suck!". Thank you people! You don't know how good board you just gave me! BTW programming WSA isn't complicated at all - just RTFM.

Here is a short song i composed last night (custom sounds, everything from WSA-1):

WSA-1 Demo (01:44)

When it comes to pads, it can stand right next to JD - if not better! In two days for how long i have it, i already made some sounds that challenge the best ones i made on the JD - without even learning all of WSA's tricks yet. I have a good feeling about this synth! Give me a month and i will place a patches only demo...

• Members

Thanks for the music made by this very very rare synth. The resonator should be very interesting, and it's great to hear it sounds rich without FX. I've been searching for such decent PCM-based synths.

The pads, especially the vocal one, sounds nice. Is it made with HPF or resonator? And not only the metallic guitar, but I'm impressed with the unique drum sounds.

And the CZ demo above is great, too. Though being a long-time CZ user, I've never known this synth can sound fat and impressive like this.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Wow! Those AN1x demos from Don Solaris are amazing! I don't care what anyone says.. to my ears, that is the most analog sounding VA I've heard. Yamaha should really repackage that synth as a more flexible better built unit with more polyphony.

Eh who needs analog when you have a digital synth and...Don Solaris.

Great job Don!

I have been able to get some amazing sounds out of my AN200, but you take it to another level. Great programming and musicianship!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived