What synths does Yanni use?

Malik

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

wtf are you guys spamming? I am not a fan but seriously, Yanni have done beautiful music! I am not getting why you are so rude.

Yanni was just a convenient butt of a joke for New Age music and the 1980s yuppie lifestyle associated with it, because everyone knows of him. :idk:

He actually makes pretty decent music, if a tad schmaltzy at times. (This is unlike, say, what Chip Davis became after a few decent albums... :facepalm:)

• Members

wtf are you guys spamming? I am not a fan but seriously, Yanni have done beautiful music! I am not getting why you are so rude.

Yanni is the poster child for rich guy posers trying to be all cool getting all spiritual and new age and bored housewives putting on syrupy background music to go with their patchouli incense or potpourri. I have a rich doctor uncle who has done a lot of world traveling and accumulated lots of weird art from all over the world and done his house, garden, and pool all Buddhist-zen-spiritual. The house and garden are actually pretty cool, but at the same time I just sorta get this shallow American guy trying to get all intellectual - like a rich hippie kid living off his parents and doing yoga with a guru all day. The last time I was at his house for a party he had Yanni going non-stop on his uber flat-panel media system. I do have to say though this is the same guy who got lots of laughs from me when he made his daughter (my cousin) cry because he said that "New Kids on the Block" didn't have much musical talent (even though he took her to the concert in a limo and got first row tickets).

Kenny G and John Tesh are pretty funny comparisons.

• Members

Its the keyboard that allows you to play one note for 10 minutes and a drippy pad sound bathed in reverb comes out.

Begs the bigger question, couldnt you think of baseball, starving children, a Kurzweil, if you were trying to stave of the premature love goo?

• Members

Yanni has been arrested repeatedly.

But hey, who hasn't?
;)

We're talking about a real sick-o here.

According to Mr. Yanni's companion Silvia Barthes, 33, Mr. Yanni woke up Friday morning and began playing one of his albums. Apart from the "rather loud volume for that time of day," Ms. Barthes said she did not find anything unusual in Mr. Yanni's actions.

"He always listens to his own music when he wants to make love to me," she told police. "Otherwise he has difficulty performing. So I just thought he was giving me a wake-up call."

On Friday, however, Mr. Yanni was not in the mood for love, unless he had self-love in mind. By noon he had listened to Niki Nana (1989), Reflections of Passion (1990), Out of Silence (1990), Optimystique (1990), Keys to Imagination (1990), Chameleon Days (1990), and In Celebration of Life (1991). Ms. Barthes told police she had begun to fear that Mr. Yanni intended to listen to his entire thirty-album oeuvre in sequence.

"I tried to tune the music out," said Ms. Barthes, "but Yanni has speakers in every room of the house, and he controls them from a master panel in a locked closet. I went out to the pool for a swim, but he turned on the outside speakers. I was on the verge of a panic attack. There's only so much Yanni a person can take."

The mug shot: yanni_155.jpg

The whole sordid story.

• Members

Jokes, (not talent) make up the majority of this thread

and quite frankly (most of) the forum as well...so I'm not

surprised to see the bashing of a competent pianist whos

had great success in accomplishing his goal.

As it sits Yanni could hand most everyone in this thread/forum

their asses on a casio portitone 49key circa 1996!:thu:

The goal is the creation of music and

subsequently touching people who listen to it/appreciate it.

I personally don't care for the schnerp but it sure is

butthurt in here:poke:

• Members

Well it is not really a joke. Different music and musicians appeal to different people and musicians frequently find a niche that works. It just happens that many of us don't care for some of those niches. Hence the joke "Yawni", i.e. I find his music boring. I don't like Barry Manilow much either but he is definitely a talented guy at writing and performing jingles and commercial adult contemporary hits (back in the 70's) and racking in the dough in Vegas.

Really it is not Yanni specifically that I am targeting but the people who get all pseudo-cultural and pseudo-intellectual about new age stuff.

Incidentally, I have a friend and coworker who used to hang out with Yanni when he was a local musician here in MN and she said he was a really nice guy back in the day. But you never know, everyone is a nice guy to a cute little Teutonic blue-eyed blond chick (even now in her 50's she is still cute).

• Members

Jokes, (not talent) make up the majority of this thread

and quite frankly (most of) the forum as well...so I'm not

surprised to see the bashing of a competent pianist whos

had great success in accomplishing his goal.

As it sits Yanni could hand most everyone in this thread/forum

their asses on a casio portitone 49key circa 1996!
:thu:

The goal is the creation of music and

subsequently touching people who listen to it/appreciate it.

I personally don't care for the schnerp but it sure is

butthurt in here:poke:

Your internet heroics are most admirable.

What's a "schnerp?"

• Members

Really it is not Yanni specifically that I am targeting but the people who get all pseudo-cultural and pseudo-intellectual about new age stuff.

I believe that prominent New Age artist Liz Story once quipped something along the lines of "New Age? Doesn't that rhyme with sewage?"

Some of the "new age" artists (the Wyndham Hill folks) really were just neo-classical in a sense, mostly doing electronic versions of light Romantic era fare / Baroque pop. Why this appealed to pseudo-intellectual yuppies, I don't know. I doubt the artists liked that very much. Also lumped into "new age" were the electronic folks like your Tangerine Dreams and Jean Michel Jarres and whatnot.

I got the impression that a lot of the artists were not very happy about the "New Age" term, nor the marketing pressure that went along with it. Patrick O'Hearn's instrumental work is one example that I personally think got a *lot* better when the New Age fad died, he was actually allowed to be haunting and dark and not schmaltzy and happy all the time.

Then there was space music and darker ambient. Steve Roach got lumped into "New Age" for a while, even though his albums are about as far from Yanni as you can get.

• Members

yes. both Patrick O'Hearn & Yanni were both on the same label: Private Music. which was started by former Tangerine Dream member Peter Baumann: considering both Krautrock & New Age have slowly come into "vogue" fairly recently, i think its high time to be honest & really weigh the actual merits of Yanni's work & not the negative connotations that grew w/ the genre over the years.

• Members

Your internet heroics are most admirable.

What's a "schnerp?"

Schnerp is such an ambiguous word

and synonymous with rules of fight club (sounds douche-y I Know)

You won't find the definition in any wiki nor dictionary but

through careful analysis and deduction here they are: :)

-Being overtly soft, counterproductive towards male bravado.

-An effeminate male or having effeminate qualities

-Having perceived superficial qualities of inadequacy amongst his peers (citation needed)

-And as a general rule:

-The failure of the (aforementioned Schnerp) to connect

with his/her technical demographic with respect to their

own expectations of what a keboardist, pianist/musician should be...

Can all be classified as (The) Schnerp, being schnerpy,

one who is full of schnerpness. [End Rant]

In the gaming world "button mashers" are

perceived as having zero talent/proficiency even though they

might actually win in a competitive match.

I've noticed that throughout my tenor as a keyboardist

people view Yanni as a no talented hack who is the pianists'

button masher of the gaming world, who just happens to luckily

hit the correct notes in succession in a given key signature and whose emotive quality is directly reflected upon his carefully implemented

pianissimos and foretissimos are actually perfect examples of

a pianist who connects with the music he's playing.

I've never once been tempted to purchase

any of his albums nor watch his latest on the local access

channel but not only do I see the talent in his abilities, but

I mainly felt it prudent to say something of an artist who is

allowed complete autonomy musically of course and who attained

his dream...the very same dream perhaps most if not all of us

wish would come true.

To either make a living or get paid to do what we as musicians

*Love* to do.:thu:

• Members

Is it accurate to say, the greatest musical tragedy of our era, is the day John

Tesh & Yanni decided not to become a duet? They stiffed all humanity to pursue

their own narrow artistic visions. And today, the world hungers for real music -- music

John Tesh & Yanni might have made together, but for their own short-sighted selfishness.

• 9 years later...
  • Members

As  i recall on the opening of john tesh when he came out he wanted the same attention and claim that was originated by yanni  john tesh  reacked of yanni ency it was clear to see by all  john tesh shouldve just stayed in journalism or what ever career in show buissness /main stream news he was in  ? It waqs a shock to me to see him come out and try and replicate the very thing yanni  did  at the acropolis !  mind you with much help from linda evans  as yanni voiced his apreaciation to her on his success but his past work with camillian up to the point of of acropolis to present day he has strived to point most of his successs to all the musicians  in his orchestra  past and  present  its about the  world and all its cultures and not about what his capabilities are in being well versed in music theory  ! Music is Music how ever it comes  rather by  reading by  notation or simply just picking up an instrument and being ableto p[lay it without musical notation at all !! yanni  is  of that type ! but he knew he had to translate his compositions somehow  being that all his focus was in creating music  by ear he never needed to learn to read or  write musical notation he was happy and content with just playing in his early life  learning the piano by ear  he had a given talent  as a child  for  some reason  he was not pushed to learn to read and or play by notation because maybe it wasnt the direction of his  parents  but  swimming  was and he excelled at that too ! But for what ever  reason they didnt see that it shouldve been  in prosuing  education of  his music composing rather than the sport of swimming  whos to know ??  anyways Yanni realised this and so created  his own system of translation of music in  his own method which he  has spoken about and  also teaches this form of musical translatrion to others !  yanni has done  great and is  great im impressed with his outlook and who he surrounds himself with ! 

Archived