Multiple forum poll

Dave Bryce

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Outkaster

If there were two forums. I for one would not go over and start any trouble on something I did not care about. I think the tension you talk about would be greatly alleviated. Looking at the poll results I can see everyone wants one forum but the number seems a little suspect on how much it is weighted one way. Just an opinion.

Whereas you personally state that YOU wouldn't start trouble in any new forums, experience at HC tells me that people in general's conduct would be otherwise. :)

I also think that the quibbles you have had here are relatively small fry and would probably happen in any forum, regardless of classification. FACT: internet forums tend to have disagreements sometimes.

If you were to take the little argument you have out of this forum I would see it as a bad rather than good thing. :)

• Members

Originally posted by Don Solaris

That is the time slot of individual post, which is ridiculously short. You post reply to someone, next day your post is 5 pages behind, where no one even bothers to look. While on the main page there are same questions again and again (but from new members) "why my cubase wont run smooth" and "what is the best newbie synth".

I've said it before and i'll say it again: Go to the "Guitar amp" forum on this site, on a day/evening with fair traffic. A post will be three pages down within

• Members

Originally posted by meep

Whereas you personally state that YOU wouldn't start trouble in any new forums, experience at HC tells me that people in general's conduct would be otherwise.
:)

I also think that the quibbles you have had here are relatively small fry and would probably happen in any forum, regardless of classification. FACT: internet forums tend to have disagreements sometimes.

If you were to take the little argument you have out of this forum I would see it as a bad rather than good thing.
:)

I hear you, I guess it is something I will have to get used to. I stopped posting for a long time about two years ago. I know there will never be two forums so I will grin and bear it.

• Members

Originally posted by Outkaster

There are a couple organ forums no one really knows about except techs and some serious organ players on the web. Most people here would not be that interested in here. What is interesting is the people that love those vintage sounds are gigging keyboardists.

I think that's the whole point. If HC were the central place to post about EVERYTHING then we would also benefit from having those techs and serious organ players around here.

By the way, I was kidding with the "Beatles were a {censored}ty band" comment earlier. I should have put some rolly-eyes.

GREAT I'm Down vid!

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzy4dice

I think that's the whole point. If HC were the central place to post about EVERYTHING then we would also benefit from having those techs and serious organ players around here.

By the way, I was kidding with the "Beatles were a {censored}ty band" comment earlier. I should have put some rolly-eyes.

GREAT I'm Down vid!

They were really never a good live band compared with the Stones.

• Members

Originally posted by Mike Conway

This is a forum, not a talent show.

I second that.

I like to think this is a forum to people who like synths, keys and samples. Pro or not-pro.

In the previous years, we had polls to create sub-foruns and this is always good to talk about.

I see some more tech people, and some more skilled people prefering to have a separate place to talk, without other not so skilled around, andwithout other not so tech sugesting something not to high minded.

May be they are shy to be here?

I don

• Members

Hey DB,

What's your opinion on this?

I would assume that one of your roles in coming here was to help grow the forum(s).

Do you feel that the current style of topics and the range of active participants is such that it will attract the widest amount of new members?

If the answer is yes than why even bother with a poll?

If the answer is no than why would you leave it up to the status quo to decide the future direction of this forum?

• Members

Originally posted by RockXtreme

Hey DB,

What's your opinion on this?

I'm not sure that matters any more than anyone else's...

I would assume that one of your roles in coming here was to help grow the forum(s).

I guess so, yeah...no one ever really laid any goals out for me.

I believe it's more important to have it run smoothly than it is to grow it, though...seems to me that if it's running smoothly, it'll grow on it's own.

Do you feel that the current style of topics and the range of active participants is such that it will attract the widest amount of new members?

Well, I do think that more forums and/or a subsequent wider range of topics/actual set of choices in forum categories would probably yield better immediate results in that area.

However, I'm not sure that immediate results are what we're after here. Read on...

If the answer is yes than why even bother with a poll?

If the answer is no than why would you leave it up to the status quo to decide the future direction of this forum?

Look - everyone has different perceptions of forums, and people come to them for all sorts of different reasons. Some look to them as sources of information...some look to them as entertainment...some look to them as a community of friends and peers. I think for most of us, a forum is a mix of these things, and more.

However, I see the most important thing about a forum as being the sense of community. That's the first and foremost reason I come here. To that end, it seems to me to be Job One to make sure and uphold that sense of community. That's why I put the poll up - it's important to me to try and get a sense of what the people who come here want, and to learn why they want it, and for everyone else to try and get a sense of what their fellow members want as well. I think discussing things like potential changes to the forum contributes to that in a big way.

I believe that if we establish/maintain a strong sense of community...a place where people can come and feel comfortable as well as get good information and discuss stuff that's important to them...a place where they can hang with old friends and maybe make new friends...that other people will (hopefully) naturally be drawn to it.

Would having a few forums make things easier and more accessible? Maybe...I actually think it's likely, and I also think it'd be likely that people who are against the idea would probably not find it as much of a turn-off as they think...but I don't believe in the concept strongly enough to force it on a place where most folks seems to be getting along pretty well, and where a clear 2/3 majority would really rather leave things the way they are.

dB

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzy4dice

GREAT I'm Down vid!

you're welcome

• Members

Originally posted by Dave Bryce

However, I see the most important thing about a forum as being the sense of community. That's the first and foremost reason I come here.

Thanks for the response.

Hope you don't think I was baiting you in my questions. Just wanted to get a feel for what was trying to be accomplished here.

Given that response, than one Forum would appear to be the only logical conclusion. Let it change, develop and evolve naturally over time.

If people want to steer it in other directions it is up to the participants to bring up new topics and actively push additional thread conversation.

• Members

Originally posted by RockXtreme

Thanks for the response.

Hope you don't think I was baiting you in my questions.

Not at all.

Given that response, than one Forum would appear to be the only logical conclusion. Let it change, develop and evolve naturally over time.

Agreed.

If people want to steer it in other directions it is up to the participants to bring up new topics and actively push additional thread conversation.

Also fully agreed. I'm not sure why more people don't get that... ;)

dB

• Members

Originally posted by steadyb

The Beatles were more together musically and vocally live than the Stones could ever hope to be.

Doubt it.......what band is still around today? The Stones may be older and not all original but they are a lot better than they were musically.

Archived