Multiple forum poll

Dave Bryce

• Members

Okay, it's been more than a few months since that last poll (which was clearly hosed because of the way it was worded); and, as promised, I'd like to take a look at whether we should consider splitting the forum onto more than one.

For the purposes of this poll, I only want to have two options: one forum, or multiple ones. If the multiple ones thing passes, we'll deal with categories then...

dB

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the benefits of reading of the many ways to skin a cat outweigh the efficiency of lumping people into a 'like-minded' group.

It's taken a few years - but I may soon try out a softsynth ot two based on what i've read here. If I spend my time reading about what I use regularly in my studio, romplers and virtuals, I may not get the input about other options. And to get the varied opinions in a multi-forum format would mean a lot of cross-posting.

• Members

That may be true, but I think there are a lot of folks here (and might be more) who don't know what the crap romplers and virtuals are.

Many of them don't care to know.

We could get a lot of new folks in here if we specialized in a few flavors.

Every other topic has multiple forums...even friggin' bass.

Sheesh.

• Members

Please, Please have more than one forum. It is so gear related here all the time. We have some people that are semi-professional/professional musicians and a lot of younger people that do not share the same background and it causes flame wars. The one forum thing does not work and a lot of junk is on the forum than it was 5 years ago even. Some of us would rather have a forum more customizied to our needs , that would be great.

• Members

I'm just wondering how to draw a line - how do you define what's vintage and what's new? An instrument like the Nord Stage, that has so much to do with vintage stuff, where to place it? Or the MEK for that sake... I just try to steer clear of threads that do not apply to me, I believe that one forum and a lot of topics is the way to go. Just my 0.02... :)

• Members

I'm a firm believer in the 1 forum approach, but if it were divided I think the more logical division is:

Keys - Stage pianos, workstations, technique, "keyboarder's" stuff, more traditional band gigs.

Synths - Synthesizers, samplers, sound design, DAW, more laptop or sequencer oriented gigs.

But I still would rather have 1 forum.

• Members

Originally posted by urbanscallywag

I'm a firm believer in the 1 forum approach, but if it were divided I think the more logical division is:

Keys - Stage pianos, workstations, technique, "keyboarder's" stuff, more traditional band gigs.

Synths - Synthesizers, samplers, sound design, DAW, more laptop or sequencer oriented gigs.

But I still would rather have 1 forum.

Yeah, if we really have to divide, then let it be players vs. synthesists :D

I too would rather have one forum.

• Members

Originally posted by Umbra

And how are we supposed to answer if it's a good idea or not if we don't know what the idea is?

Look, there's no other way to do this. If you saw how the last poll went, you should know that. :idea:

If we put up all of the mutiple choices now, then the people who want more than one forum will be fragmented, and the people who want only one will win.

If there are more people who want it split, then we'll deal with how to do it then.

This is simple...if you can see a way - any way - that we would derive more benefit from having more than one forum in the KSS area than lumping everything together into one forum, then vote for that. If you want everything in one "room", then vote for that.

dB

• Members

Originally posted by RockXtreme

From my point of view the posts here tend to be dominated by synth players. Hammond, piano, band and theory thread tend to get lost in the shuffle. It may turn off new people who are not synthsists from the forum.

I suggest that KSS be renamed "Keyboards" plain and simple. This would help encourage all those who aren't synth nuts to post. :)

PS I am a synth nut, but I also enjoy the piano & composition threads.

PPS One forum. :thu:

Archived