Multiple forum poll

Dave Bryce

• Members
Originally posted by The Pro

But the problem with that is that it is the administrators themselves who are posting that football crap here, which says it all about how much they care about keeping this forum on-topic.

And another thing - anytime a poll has been put forth that offers a choice between change or the status quo, the status quo wins hands down. If the administrators were serious about improving this forum (and I don't think they are) then they would provide some leadership by making the change to a multiple topic forum, give the forum time to settle a bit, and then take a poll as to whether the forum should stay with the new changes or revert back to it's old form. I'll bet new status quo wins, but I'm equally certain we'll never know.
:rolleyes:

It's not "the administrators", it's just me...and you know that. You can address me directly. I won't hurt you - I promise. :D

.,..and when someone asks you to moderate a forum, you can feel free to do it the way you want. Until then, I suggest to you that snippy little posts like this may not be the best way to get people to see things your way.

On the record, I'm fine with the forum either way - whatever makes the most people who hang out here happy.

dB

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But the problem with that is that it is the administrators themselves who are posting that football crap here, which says it all about how much they care about keeping this forum on-topic.

So you're saying you like Tiki Barber better than Shaun Alexander?

• Members
Originally posted by steadyb

So you're saying you like Tiki Barber better than Shaun Alexander?

I'll take Alexander.

And I also prefer a forum that has a little fun and is not all down to business.

And I certainly never meant to imply that members who aren't performers or gigging regularly aren't musicians. All I was trying to say is that there aren't very many of us in here that do this sort of thing. There are probably better musicians than me in this forum who have never played in public. Or is it "I" ...I always have a problem with which to use. :confused:

• Members
Originally posted by mrcpro

There are probably better musicians than me in this forum

Ahhhhhh....better musicians...what does that mean, really?

Some may have more experience...some may have more raw talent...some may practice more...but in the end, who's to say who is really better than who?

...and what's the point of doing so, really? In the end, if you and the people you play for enjoy what you do, isn't that all that matters? :cool:

dB

• Members
Originally posted by Dave Bryce

It's not "the administrators", it's just me...and you know that. You can address me directly. I won't hurt you - I promise.
:D

.,..and when someone asks you to moderate a forum, you can feel free to do it the way you want. Until then, I suggest to you that snippy little posts like this may not be the best way to get people to see things your way.

On the record, I'm fine with the forum either way - whatever makes the
most people who hang out here
happy.

dB

I was agreeing with someone who made a good point about your football crap. You got an issue with that - take it up with the original poster.

Your last statement should read "whatever makes the most people who hang out here that's left happy. :rolleyes:

• Members

I was agreeing with someone who made a good point about your football crap. You got an issue with that - take it up with the original poster.

The original poster wasn't rude. :idea:

Your last statement should read "whatever makes the most people who hang out here
that's left
happy.

It always cracks me up when someone decides he's the spokesperson for a bunch of other people. ;)

Whatever....you've made it pretty clear that you don't like my moderating style, and you've made it pretty clear that you really like to bitch...so knock yourself out. I'm all in favor of your right to express yourself.

Do have a nice day, okay? :)

dB

• Members

Your last statement should read "whatever makes the most people who hang out here
that's left
happy.

I dunno The Pro...looks like the place has grown about 25% lately. But I don't want to start an arguement with you...I think you and PFC are the two in here that play out more than I do. I've only got 7 nights this month. No weeknights, and the last Saturday's open and I don't think it's going to get filled! :eek:

• Members

Oh good - that means you're not going to threaten to ban me for expressing my opinion like you have before?

I speak for myself - you imagine the rest. Show me one example where I've spoken for ANY group of people and perhaps you have a point. Since you can't, you've just made a different kind of point altogether.

You're much better at being pleased with yourself than at moderating a forum, but we all have to have at least one talent don't we?

• Members

The Drum forum only gets one, the bass forum only gets one... actually, it looks like we have two, but the other one isn't a forum... it's just the 'Bass FAQ's' where the mods post answers to questions that get asked a lot (ala any FAQ :D)... you can't post in it.

• Members

Show me one example where I've spoken for ANY group of people and perhaps you have a point.

You mean like this?

that's left
happy.

I don't imagine you have any business speaking for who has or has not left, nor why they have..and if you can't see how the quoted sentence above speaks for others (that I do not believe have asked you to speak for them), nothing I can say will make a difference. Like the man says: Never try to teach a pig to sing...it wastes your time and annoys the pig. ;)

Of course, by continuing to exchange pleasantries with you, I'm violating the other pig corollary: Never wrestle with a pig - you both get dirty, and the pig likes it. :rolleyes:

...and, BTW...MRCPro is right. Forum participation is totally up since the summer...but thanks for playing.

You're much better at being pleased with yourself than at moderating a forum, but we all have to have at least one talent don't we?

What a nice, warm person you must be. Thanks for taking the time to hang out here! :)

Looking forward to your next round of sunshine,

dB

• Members

Originally posted by Fear My Potato

Yeah, I really don't think we could fill a dedicated Hammond/Vintage board to save our lives...but if you give us one I'll use it.

I disagree, Harmony Central is one of the planets BIGGEST and most WIDELY USED music pages on the PLANET!

I think if word got around that there were dedicated vintage synth forums, people would flock here like bees on honey.

Hammond people LOVE to talk Hammond.

Rhodes people LOVE to talk Rhodes.

One of the reasons there isn't much vintage talk around here is because there isn't much vintage talk around here.

Chew on that for a minute.

Could there really be any harm in throwing up a "Vintage Keys" forum and see what happens? I mean, if people don't want to go there, they don't have to.

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzy4dice

I disagree, Harmony Central is one of the planets BIGGEST and most WIDELY USED music pages on the PLANET!

I think if word got around that there were dedicated vintage synth forums, people would flock here like bees on honey.

Hammond people LOVE to talk Hammond.

Rhodes people LOVE to talk Rhodes.

One of the reasons there isn't much vintage talk around here is because there isn't much vintage talk around here.

Chew on that for a minute.

Could there really be any harm in throwing up a "Vintage Keys" forum and see what happens? I mean, if people don't want to go there, they don't have to.

There are a couple organ forums no one really knows about except techs and some serious organ players on the web. Most people here would not be that interested in here. What is interesting is the people that love those vintage sounds are gigging keyboardists.

• Members

Originally posted by steadyb

I guess The Pro picked up his balls and went home ...oh, that reminds me, what a great Rose Bowl game last night.

The "teaching the pig to sing" thing was so clever and fresh that I was totally blown a way.

• Members

I don't think that dividing the forums will alleviate any tensions that there have ever been; if people see a forum devoted to one thing they are against they will most likely go there and say "LOL, piano / synths / pancakes are {censored}, LOL".

This forum is more peaceful than most anyway. Dividing it will only lead to a loss of the dynamic it has, so I say keep it.

• Members

Splitting this forum into few ones might solve some issues, but won't solve the major problem. That is the time slot of individual post, which is ridiculously short. You post reply to someone, next day your post is 5 pages behind, where no one even bothers to look. While on the main page there are same questions again and again (but from new members) "why my cubase wont run smooth" and "what is the best newbie synth".

Unfortunately other forums have the same timeslot problem (till someone writes better software). Example of a good post organizing is usenet where all posts that you read are automatically removed from your view (if set within your news agent). So even when someone answers your message five days later and you login two days after that, you will normally see the message, it wont be 5 pages behind.

I've been lurking this forum for about 2 years, but preferred usenet "rec.music.makers.synth" for asking any specific questions / problems I had with the gear, because over here, you are gone within 24 hours - and that

• Members

Originally posted by meep

I don't think that dividing the forums will alleviate any tensions that there have ever been; if people see a forum devoted to one thing they are against they will most likely go there and say "LOL, piano / synths / pancakes are {censored}, LOL".

This forum is more peaceful than most anyway. Dividing it will only lead to a loss of the dynamic it has, so I say keep it.

If there were two forums. I for one would not go over and start any trouble on something I did not care about. I think the tension you talk about would be greatly alleviated. Looking at the poll results I can see everyone wants one forum but the number seems a little suspect on how much it is weighted one way. Just an opinion.

Archived