Arpeggios From Hell!

• Members

Holy Crap - I've been dicking around in the electric guitar forum wasting time yacking about equipment and I could have been here actually learning something I can apply.

Boy do I feel like an ass!!

This is the best explanation of Arpeggios I;ve ever heard and I'm running downstairs to try these out right now!!

Thanks Again Harmony Central for reminding me how ignorant I am

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • Members
Originally posted by Jimmy James

You're playing each individual note without the other notes ringing with it. If it rings it's a chord. If they sound separately, it's an arpeggio. Same notes but it's how you play them. You wouldn't fret them like a chord.

Just do it and experiment. You'll find the easiest way to finger it. Everybody is different.
:D

Thats not completely true. To arpeggiate simply means to seperate the chord tones. They can ring, but when they ring all at once, or harmonically, then it is a chord.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Speaking of arpeggios... the most important thing I ever learned musically was from Yngwie Malmsteen's Liar of of Trilogy. Most every Yngwie tune has a short musical interlude of Baroque nature just before the solo. It is this arpeggio "Etude" if you will, that taught me an awful lot. Not technique, mind you, but of music theory! I forget right now what key it is in as I have not been an Yngwie clone in years:) but remember it being in a minor tonality. When I learned the pice, I brought it to the attention of my instructor because there were arpeggios that just were not supposed to be in this key! But it sounded great and twisted the ear a tad. He explained to me that it wasn't based soley on a Minor chord scale, but he took the Aeolian mode and made a chord scale from that, then did the same for the Dorian mode, and then the Phrygian mode. Compared the similar "chords" of the 3 minor mode "chord scales" and noticed the chords that differed between the them. This opens up a new world musically and doesn't limit you just to the typical Minor key which is based off of Aeolian.

Sorry that my musical prowness is not sharp as i am mostly self taught and can read Chineese faster than I can read music... but for example... hamonize a chord scal from A aeolian. Then do the same for A dorian, then A phrygian. Compare what you have and run with it! You can make some really haunting movements especially using adjacent major arpeggios where they normally wouldn't be in typical A minor.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Originally posted by NYC-Rider
I originally posted the rambling arp under the CarvinRock moniker. (Lost the password)

Anyway, I tried to answer fingering questions and the names of the scales. I believe the names are correct, but I am not sure the fingering is "technically" correct. The fingering indications are representative of how I play the scales. Others may have better suggestions/styles.

• Members

Originally posted by Jimmy James

------------------------------7-10-----------

-------------------------7-8------------------

------------------4-7-------------------------

-----------4-5--------------------------------

-----2-5--------------------------------------

2-3-------------------------------------------

hey jimmy, sorry im just starting out on this stuff, isnt a GM7 arpeggio the root 3rd 5th and 7th of dorian mode in G. thats at least what i read at another site. help me out im confused:confused: and if you are playing the GM7 arpeggio why doesnt it start in G? the first note in the tab is F#

• Members
Originally posted by Guitarfreak911

hey jimmy, sorry im just starting out on this stuff, isnt a GM7 arpeggio the root 3rd 5th and 7th of dorian mode in G. thats at least what i read at another site. help me out im confused:confused: and if you are playing the GM7 arpeggio why doesnt it start in G? the first note in the tab is F#

The notes in G Dorian are G-A-Bb-C-D-E-F

A GM7 (GMajor7) chord has the notes G-B-D-F#

So you would have a couple of clashes there, the B (major 3rd) and the F# (major 7th) against the Bb (minor 3rd) and F (minor 7th).

The Dorian mode is minor, you could play a Gm7 (Gminor7) over it, as Gminor is chord I in G Dorian and the 7th extension is minor as F is a minor 7th higher than G.

The arpeggio he's written starts on F# because he wants it to :) You don't always have to start an arpeggio on the root note (which would be G in this case), I think a big point of this thread is to encourage people to experiment, so if playing a GM7 arp starting on the 7th (F#) sounds cool to you, then go for it :)

• Members
Originally posted by Andelusion

The notes in G Dorian are G-A-Bb-C-D-E-F

A GM7 (GMajor7) chord has the notes G-B-D-F#

So you would have a couple of clashes there, the B (major 3rd) and the F# (major 7th) against the Bb (minor 3rd) and F (minor 7th).

The Dorian mode is minor, you could play a Gm7 (Gminor7) over it, as Gminor is chord I in G Dorian and the 7th extension is minor as F is a minor 7th higher than G.

The arpeggio he's written starts on F# because he wants it to
:)
You don't always have to start an arpeggio on the root note (which would be G in this case), I think a big point of this thread is to encourage people to experiment, so if playing a GM7 arp starting on the 7th (F#) sounds cool to you, then go for it
:)

awesome, now i understand, thanks man

• 3 months later...
  • Members
Originally posted by typedeaF

This thread is extremely weak. It has one example of playing a 7th flavored arpeggio and then a transcription of the ever common "Crossroads" section. I expected to see some crazy arpeggio sequences and theory.
This does not deserve to be a sticky!
:mad:

+1. Maybe its just me but I never think people's "crazy" arps are crazy at all, theyre pretty tame. Also, if hes playing two notes per string how is it even an arpeggio, its a scale. Regardless, here is a crazy arpeggio:

----------------10------------------------
------------13-----13-----------------------
--------10-------------10-------------------
----14---------------------14---------------
-12----------------------------12----------
---------------------------------------------

------------------14---------------------------
--------------17-----15--------------------------
----------16-------------14---------------------
------14---------------------15------------------
--15-----------------------------17--------------
------------------------------------------------

Now those are crazy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by NITEFLY182

Also, if hes playing two notes per string how is it even an arpeggio, its a scale.

Well, no, you seem a little confused...

An arpeggio can be played on just one string if wanted: it does not necessarily need to be spread across several strings; you can play 3 notes on one string, two on the next, one on the next, you can skip strings, go backwards etc. It has nothing to do with the strings you use, it is all about the notes.

And, a scale is the same: it can be played one note per string, 3 notes per string, all on one string, strings can be skipped, etc. It's the notes that are important, not where they are played.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

I'm a little confused about the theory behind the original post. Are you saying you got the GM7 from the Am chord scale? If this is so, when I try to do that I end up with an F as the 7th note, not the F#. What am I doing wrong here?

thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

thanks :) , and when sweeping down I should release pressure on the strings I just passed with my right hand by lifting up my finger but keeping the top of it on the last string? mmmm this is gonna take some practice but I'll work on it .

Thanks again !

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

5 String Sweep arpeggios

A Major
|------------9-12-9
|---------10--------10
|-------9--------------9
|----11-----------------11
|--12---------------------12
|------------------------------

A Minor
|------------8-12-8
|---------10--------10
|-------9---------------9
|----10-------------------10
|-12-------------------------12
|-------------------------

A Diminished
|------------9-11-9
|---------10--------10
|-------8--------------8
|----10------------------10
|-12------------------------12
|-----------------------

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Speaking of arpeggios... the most important thing I ever learned musically was from Yngwie Malmsteen's Liar of of Trilogy. Most every Yngwie tune has a short musical interlude of Baroque nature just before the solo. It is this arpeggio "Etude" if you will, that taught me an awful lot. Not technique, mind you, but of music theory! I forget right now what key it is in as I have not been an Yngwie clone in years:) but remember it being in a minor tonality. When I learned the pice, I brought it to the attention of my instructor because there were arpeggios that just were not supposed to be in this key! But it sounded great and twisted the ear a tad. He explained to me that it wasn't based soley on a Minor chord scale, but he took the Aeolian mode and made a chord scale from that, then did the same for the Dorian mode, and then the Phrygian mode. Compared the similar "chords" of the 3 minor mode "chord scales" and noticed the chords that differed between the them. This opens up a new world musically and doesn't limit you just to the typical Minor key which is based off of Aeolian.

Sorry that my musical prowness is not sharp as i am mostly self taught and can read Chineese faster than I can read music... but for example... hamonize a chord scal from A aeolian. Then do the same for A dorian, then A phrygian. Compare what you have and run with it! You can make some really haunting movements especially using adjacent major arpeggios where they normally wouldn't be in typical A minor.

I never thought of doing this. Thanks for the tip there man I'm going to work on some ideas with this tonght.

Archived