IMPORTANT - a Message from Frank Gambale

• Members

When I think of becoming famous money never even crosses my mind. What I really long for is an appreciation of the artistic side of me, an appreciation of the creativity that runs through my head. I also want to inspire people through music the way other musicians have inspired me. Music does so much for me emotionally I can't even put it into words. Sometimes I don't know if anyone could understand it, you would just have to be me. When I go to a concert I get so hyped up and so into it I forget about everything. Music is like a drug to me. The thing I lack and need improvement on is drive. But I'm working on that.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by PRSnotPOS

When I think of becoming famous money never even crosses my mind.

Interesting frame of thought -- notice that here we are actually looking at "fame" as opposed to money, both of which are different than the art itself

What I really long for is an appreciation of the artistic side of me, an appreciation of the creativity that runs through my head.

Ah, this is where we are seeking reward for the endeavor...fame glory ...which is different than motivation of the true amateur

The root of amateur is "amat" (or, more specifically, "amator" - lover) - the word itself means that, lover...for the love of it

Sometimes I don't know if anyone could understand it, you would just have to be me.

It's a pretty common sentiment among musicians - It can be highly constructive in a number of ways --

a tool to empathize

For instance, if we take the statement

I just think that if you are making music just to make money you should probably find a different career.

and replace Money with fame we get

I just think that if you are making music just to get famous you should probably find a different career.

A perspective to help us balance our personal artistic voice while allowing room for other's personal identities AND simultaneously allowing a greater gestalt to form in an ensemble situation

The thing I lack and need improvement on is drive. But I'm working on that.

That certainly is the craft aspect of it

• Members

Good points. The only other argument I could possibly make is that they need to release this stuff in more modern formats. I wanted to get Kotzen's Rock Chops a week or so ago and decided not to because VHS was the only media available.

Now, I am NOT promoting piracy. THat should be evident in the other thread. I am just side tracking the point in that it does little for me when musicians get all weepy weepy and tell me how they didnt get a new home in beverly hills because I didnt buy their latest CD.

The business has to change. No doubt the only real reason for getting signed to a big record label for me would be for the exposure. Its hard to get exposure if you dont get a big label. Since big labels need money to fund advertising and huge record production, they have to get it from something, duh.

Now from what I have heard, the real money is in concerts. Concert tickets and merchandice is the big $$ is what I heard. I remember when CD's first came out they were all $20+ and cassette tapes were like $12 for new releases. The record industry made a statement that the prices were temporary and would soon drop. Since a CD costs probably less than 5 cents to create and maybe 20 cents by the time you add packaging, they are doing nearly 100x markup by the time it hits the consumer. Does any other industry get away with this? So arent the consumers getting ripped off too? I think the big mistake is that the record companies, like the oil tycoons still do, just rode the wave as long as they could ripping off the consumer for as long as they could get away with. Had they listened to the consumer outcry decades ago about the general and majority dis satisfaction of music media costs, this probably could have been avoided or at least not as seriously impacted.

The consumer gets riped off. The musician gets the backlash over something they had little or no control over. Its a rotten deal. But its a reality thats only going to get worse if things dont change.

• Members

I am one of Frank Gambale's biggest fans. In fact, I have heard most all of the great players out there and I really think Gambale is the most skilled and has the biggest overall range.

Having said that, Frank could take care of this problem by posting some free video of himself on his site. In this day and age people like to see video on the web. Other players post video of themselfs on their sites and it has helped them greatly. More people get to see not only hear their talent.

I think all Gambale needs to do is update his site with some video and this whole thing would be history...no big deal end of story. I just think Frank is not with the times with the video thing. Just post a few songs and that would be enough...no big deal.

Oh, and let me say one more thing that I read on this topic. Frank Gambale never bad mouthed Shawn Lane...that's a lie and the people that bring that up should stop it...that's way worse than posting video of Frank with him not giving the ok.

• Members

Well, putting aside the moral issues of being a greedy rockstar with a big weenie to whip around at the little peeons (that's directed at the Metallica vs. Napster types, not Frank. He's a big shot in the guitar world and very rightly so, but my wife has never heard of him. She's heard of Metallica.. To me, that defines how big someone is.. No offense meant there, just sayin..) The LEGAL issue is, the United States of America has copyright laws in place that provide legal protection for the artist and owners of material. By posting that material, that copyright is being violated. If he, or more to the point, the company that owns the video wishes to go through with the copyright enforment, the poster is toast..

My personal take on downloading videos is this. I'm not about to go throw down $30 on a video that may or may not be some clown up there going "watch me wank, I'm awesome!". I'll download a video, decide if it's just another rockstar moving product, then buy it if it's a legitimately useful learning tool. The SMART move is to encourage this kind of distribution. Case in point, Joe Pass. I'd heard him play before, but never gotten into him. I was browsing the other week and found one of his videos. Ok, this guy is VERY good. Since then, I've bought CDs and videos of Joe and am looking for more. Joe is making money because someone shared a crappy capture of a video. Now, I don't suggest Frank and the like encourage complete distribution, that's like Pepsi leaving the doors open on their vending machines. But, giving 5-10 minute clips of the videos, more than just " Hi, I'm Bob Superstar.. In this video, I'm going to show you............." and it cuts off. Hell no! If you want to earn my money, I want some idea of what I'm going to be paying for.

So honestly, I see both sides here. One hand, the guy is having his property stolen. On the other, that theft could be, and probably is, generating sales he might never have made otherwise.

So, my best advice is to live and let live. Yes you are being ripped off, and no it isn't right. But it's an uphill battle that will drain you and make you look bad to the people that might consider buying your product. Since Metallica went all diva-bitch and nuked Napster, I've not bought a single thing they've released, and I know lots of others that are thinking the same way. I'm not saying you can't win the legal battle, you obviously would because it is your property and it is being stolen. I'm just suggesting that you'll gain more by going with the flow of the internet, and embracing the fact that people care about you and love your music enough to want to download it.

On a strictly personal note, I've been a fan since the early 90's, and it's an honor to even think you, Frank Gambale, might actually take the 5 minutes to read words I've written.. :love::wave:

• Members

Originally posted by MorePaul

When I think of becoming famous money never even crosses my mind.

Interesting frame of thought -- notice that here we are actually looking at "fame" as opposed to money, both of which are different than the art itself

What I really long for is an appreciation of the artistic side of me, an appreciation of the creativity that runs through my head.

Ah, this is where we are seeking reward for the endeavor...fame glory ...which is different than motivation of the true amateur

The root of amateur is "amat" (or, more specifically, "amator" - lover) - the word itself means that, lover...for the love of it

Sometimes I don't know if anyone could understand it, you would just have to be me.

It's a pretty common sentiment among musicians - It can be highly constructive in a number of ways --

a tool to empathize

For instance, if we take the statement

I just think that if you are making music just to make money you should probably find a different career.

and replace Money with fame we get

I just think that if you are making music just to get famous you should probably find a different career.

A perspective to help us balance our personal artistic voice while allowing room for other's personal identities AND simultaneously allowing a greater gestalt to form in an ensemble situation

The thing I lack and need improvement on is drive. But I'm working on that.

That certainly is the craft aspect of it

Is there any point you are trying to make?? Anyways, what I mean is that the emphasis for me is not on the money... I would get the most gratification from people getting something (hopefully good) from my music. I just don't like people that are ALL about money. Like Lars from Metallica. He's so greedy it makes me sick. I love Metallica but it's hard to respect them sometimes. I mean... they are already legends and probably have enough money to last a long time, why be greedy?

• Members

Originally posted by PRSnotPOS

Is there any point you are trying to make??

hmmm, not particularly in a global sense

It's a discussion, lots of facets to consider

I suppose individual parts of the discussion have points to raise

Was there are particular part you are unclear on?

Anyways, what I mean is that the emphasis for me is not on the money...

absolutely, transferring that internal perspective other "the other" can help us artistically, personally politically

so when we find ourselves, going "But, what I meant was..." (feeling, perhaps misunderstood in our intentions through the mechanism of the exercise) - we can give quarter to "the other" to be in that position as well

• Members

Get over it....

As "things" evolve, you need to be more cunning and creative with making money. Nothing compares to a live performance, and there's no way to replicate live performances. So, downloading music forces artist to perform more often. Which is great for their fanbase, sure tickets may cost more, but once someone has an oportunity to interact with an artist, they're more likely to purchase one of their items (instructional videos, CDs, Signature series guitars, etc.) Look at van halen, eric clapton, rollingstones, aerosmith....they tour all the time make tons of money touring and sell their EVERYTHING. .. and they don

• Members

Originally posted by red|dragon

Releasing an instructional video is like giving a guitar lesson. Why shouldn't he get payed? He's teaching you HOW HE DOES WHAT HE DOES. It's a trade. Nothing is free.

I fully agree.

Frank, if you are reading this, here is what you need to do ok. Just make a video area on your web site. Have your web team post song's like "Leave Ozone Alone" and "Spike's song" off of the Monster licks and speed picking video and add "High 5" off of the Modes No More Mystery video and one song from the Concert With Class video. That would be four songs and peope would get a chance to see you play. There would be no teaching in there so if people want to learn they would need to buy the whole video/DVD...you just give them a taste. Trust me, after they see you play those songs live and how well you play them, they will want to buy the video's.

It's a smart way to market yourself in this time we live in now.

• Members

Originally posted by SE1081

Get over it....
---lots of omitted, unnecessary stuff here---

it ain't right

If it ain't right, that means it's wrong. You're aware that it's wrong, and you are also aware of who is perpetrating that wrong, and who the victim is...and yet you tell the victim to 'get over it'?

Please dont be a rat,

Those who are doing the stealing are the rats. If someone breaks into your home and robs you, would you call the police, or just let it go because you don't want to be a 'rat'?

look at lars from metallica, no one likes his crying sissy ass because of his greed and over-doing-it with napster.

He recognized the slippery slope and tried to do something about it. You already pointed out that the big $$ is in performance, so how could his stand against Napster have been driven by greed????

let me close with saying this, I don't do it...but, I'm just speaking for those that do.

Why would you speak with such vitriol for those who do if you aren't one of them yourself?

• Members

Originally posted by Auggie Doggie

Why would you speak with such vitriol for those who do if you aren't one of them yourself?

Yet again, I agree.

Does anyone else think Frank making a video area on his web site just showing a few songs would do the trick? It seems to me people would see the master at work but, not get the teaching part of the deal so, they would be far more likely to buy and learn the teaching part of the video's.

Seems like the key idea to this whole thing, it would be on his site so he give the ok and it would help push the video's.

Looks like a win win to me. Anyone agree?

• Members

Originally posted by Cleansweep

Does anyone else think Frank making a video area on his web site just showing a few songs would do the trick? It seems to me people would see the master at work but, not get the teaching part of the deal so, they would be far more likely to buy and learn the teaching part of the video's.

It's a good idea, although I don't know how much of a difference it would make in terms of illegal downloads at this point. Having samples available might just cause more people to get it illegally.

• Members

I fully agree.

Frank, if you are reading this, here is what you need to do ok. Just make a video area on your web site. Have your web team post song's like "Leave Ozone Alone" and "Spike's song" off of the Monster licks and speed picking video and add "High 5" off of the Modes No More Mystery video and one song from the Concert With Class video. That would be four songs and peope would get a chance to see you play. There would be no teaching in there so if people want to learn they would need to buy the whole video/DVD...you just give them a taste. Trust me, after they see you play those songs live and how well you play them, they will want to buy the video's.

It's a smart way to market yourself in this time we live in now.

I agree with this. I became a Gambale fan after I saw the intro to Monster Licks. The tone, the vibrato, the effortless playing and tasteful use of sweep arpeggios.

When I uploaded the Modes video, I mainly thought of it as a great way of introducing people to his playing and music, as well as showing his great teaching methods. Looking at it now, I probably went a bit far by uploading the whole video, and I understand Frank's reaction.

• Members
Originally posted by Yngtchie Blacksteen

I agree with this. I became a Gambale fan after I saw the intro to Monster Licks. The tone, the vibrato, the effortless playing and tasteful use of sweep arpeggios.

When I uploaded the Modes video, I mainly thought of it as a great way of introducing people to his playing and music, as well as showing his great teaching methods. Looking at it now, I probably went a bit far by uploading the whole video, and I understand Frank's reaction.

Yeah,

I understand what you were trying to do. I think when you posted the teaching part that's why it got hairy. Let's just hope Frank makes a video area on his site soon.

I really think it's the smart way to go. :thu:

• Members

I am definately more partial towards the guitarists that are down to earth enough to offer FREE lessons on their website. It sometimes blows my mind that a musician, whos success financially rides on the size of his fan base, refuses to put up transcriptions and lessons and live footage for the fans. Maybe make a small cheap membership fee, but know that the material is going to be leaked out anyway. I have heard many and most guitarists rant about getting their material ripped off. The one that wounded me the most when I heard Jason Becker "Go Off!" (pun) on his site about "you guys say you are fans, but no one is buying my CD's". That was ...I just couldnt believe I heard him say that because I not only bought his CD's but I had already bought his cassette tapes back in the early 90's. I would have bought his Peavey signature guitar in a hearbeat. The underground modern day shrapnel artists are always going guest columns and free lessons and video clips like Cooley, Stein, Ferari, etc. Most of them charge about $80/hr for lessons, real private lessons and they prob get quite a few scheduled. It wouldnt hurt if they learned the rules of supply and demand. When the demand goes down, lower the freaking price. Hello!?

• Members

Originally posted by Auggie Doggie

It's a good idea, although I don't know how much of a difference it would make in terms of illegal downloads at this point. Having samples available might just cause more people to get it illegally.

All Frank would need to do is make it clear on the video area site in bold print that if the video's are uploaded illegally some place off his site he would go after them, which at that point, I think is fair game.

• Members

I personally own over $1000 in instructional videos and books. I've downloaded videos that I own, it's just easier to have it on my computer and in whatever form I purchased it in.

not that it matters but, I have purchased over 2000 audio cds and I do have a copy of them all on my computer in MP3 format for easier review.

I've paid and will continue to pay my dues, for my media. I'm just saying from my stand point and most others....
no one wants to contribute to anyone who is going to be "that way" about their information. I wouldnt give lars a wooden nickel, just because of his actions. I'd rather see him make more music instead of lawsuits...well, more decent music, their new stuff is horrible!

and, breaking in a home is a horrible analogy...once again, lives at risk is far more serious and important.

I'd rather see the goverment prosecute people for not claiming sales tax on internet purchases and lower our income taxes. etc. etc.

I recently saw alterbridge, and they made a comment about their album saying thanks for listening....buying it, downloading (then laughing) or coming to our show. It's all about hear it and promoting the next sale...hence radio shows, with request.

is it wrong/stealing to request a song on the radio?

• Members

All Frank would need to do is make it clear on the video area site in bold print that if the video's are uploaded illegally some place off his site he would go after them, which at that point, I think is fair game.

I hope you're right. :thu:

• Members

I'm not sure I understand (as in don't understand, not "don't agree")

just so were clear

Let's call the Free stuff Content A

and the for sale stuff Content B

I *think* auggie is asking (and I may be way off base) -- how Content A would be a disincentive to pirate Content B.

Where is sounds like you are more addressing the off-site use of Content A

Is that correct (in terms of the issues you are addressing)

• Members

Originally posted by SE1081

no one wants to contribute to anyone who is going to be "that way" about their information. I wouldnt give lars a wooden nickel, just because of his actions. I'd rather see him make more music instead of lawsuits...well, more decent music, their new stuff is horrible!

I'll repeat my question: if the real $$ is in live performance and merchandising, then how was Lars' stand against Napster an act of greed? He was made out to be the bad guy, yet he wasn't the one stealing!

At the time of that whole fiasco, Metallica was the biggest band in the world. They carried the biggest fanbase and 'clout', so to speak. Many of their fans turned their backs on them as a result. In turn, Metallica gave them the 'St. Finger' cd. That was a message to people: if you value good music, support it by buying it...if you don't support it, you'll get crap....here's the crap!

It's 2006, and record companies, MTV, ClearChannel, and the mass media in general cater to a few select (and manufactured) 'stars' (Eminem...Ashlee Simpson...to name a couple) who are offering more crap. Actual musicians can't get arrested, and have to turn elsewhere to make a living. As a result, they can't spend the time necessary to make the best music they can, and thus it's not available to us.

People want everything, they want it now, and they don't want to pay for it. That's got some serious long-term implications, but hey, why care about the long run when I can get the new Johnny Bravo cd for free right now?

• Members

Originally posted by MorePaul

I'm not sure I understand (as in don't understand, not "don't agree")

just so were clear

Let's call the Free stuff Content A

and the for sale stuff Content B

I *think* auggie is asking (and I may be way off base) -- how Content A would be a disincentive to pirate Content B.

Where is sounds like you are more addressing the off-site use of Content A

Is that correct (in terms of the issues you are addressing)

The point I am making is that Frank needs to understand we live in a new age, video on the web is here to stay and Frank is not with the times. By posting the video songs he would only be giving a taste and trust me, I have talked to countless players that have never hear of Gambale. So, people could post links to his video area and say check this guy out. They would checkout the songs and say WOW...this guy is unreal. They would want to learn from him. Then, Frank could link them to the area on his site to buy the whole video to learn from. If I told them you must buy Frank Gambale's video's if you really want to learn they are going to say...let's see do I want to put down 30-40-60 bucks not knowing what they are getting no way.. not most of them but, if they see simples they will see what they can learn.

It would also help drive them to want to buy his books and CD's. It's just a updated way of marketing. If somebody does upload them somewhere else it's only four songs and they would help people track down Gambale's web site to learn about him. Again, Frank at that point could hunt them down if he cares but four songs is not going to break the bank if you will.

I just think it would take care of the problem.

• Members

The point I am making is that Frank needs to understand we live in a new age, video on the web is here to stay and Frank is not with the times.

Ah, my question is a little different (it wasn't about the mechanism of the point, as such, but more specifically what the point actually was - it sounded like there might have been some talking across slightly different issues)

I'm still unclear on a couple points

1) are you talking about offsite upload of "content A" or "content B"?

2) The primary thrust seems to be of advertising...

How do you see it playing out with the "advertising via content A will motivate folks to acquire Content B, but not necessarilly legitimately acquire.."

type thought

• Members

it's safe to say that we own every or a lot of metallica material. If recording doesn't make them as much money, then touring will. They're not makeing money from the same source, recording, like they used to. the money is in touring...inevitably force them to tour to make money, which is good for me.

Archived