IMPORTANT - a Message from Frank Gambale

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Auggie Doggie

It's an instructional video. You're supposed to learn from it.

If you go to a university and tell them you want to take classes and get a degree, but you refuse to pay for anything, what do you think they'll say to you? What if everyone (the slippery slope!) did the same thing? The school would soon go out of business, and you'd have to take your classes and get your degree elsewhere. So you go to a second school, tell them you want classes and a degree, but that you refuse to pay for it...when this repeats itself enough, all the schools are closed down, and nobody gets an education or a degree.

If you go to a guitar teacher and tell him you want to take lessons, but that you won't pay him for his time, what do you think he'll tell you?

If you go to the library, grab a bunch of books, and leave without signing them out, and tell the librarian you have no intention of returning them, what do you think she'll say?

People seem to think they are simply entitled to take (not buy, take) what they want, with little to no regard for how it affects anyone else in the short OR long term. Did the meaning of the word 'value' change when I wasn't looking?

That's just it. If Frank Gambale were to update his web site with a video area and have the simple songs it's like the teacher saying...see that song I just played. If you would like to learn how I did some of it here is a link to my video/DVD area on my site, buy the whole video and learn. In BOLD print under the video you say if this video is uploaded anywhere and is found charges will be pressed.

So by posting songs he is not teaching he is just showing what he can do which is a teaser as to what the video/DVD is all about. Frank could do it video by video.

You know like here is the Song so and so that I played off of this video.. if you wish to learn all that I teach in the video buy the video off my site and link to the place to buy...it's great marketing.

Let's say Gambale's name comes up when people are talking about great players and teachers they can say hey, check out Frank Gambale's site and go to his video area and check out the songs there or link someone to them...again smart marketing and we are only talking about a few songs so it's not like he would be giving away too much.

I see it as a win win.

• Members

Originally posted by Cleansweep

That's just it. If Frank Gambale were to update his web site with a video area and have the simple songs it's like the teacher saying...see that song I just played. If you would like to learn how I did some of it here is a link to my video/DVD area on my site, buy the whole video and learn. In BOLD print under the video you say if this video is uploaded anywhere and is found charges will be pressed.

So by posting songs he is not teaching he is just showing what he can do which is a teaser as to what the video/DVD is all about. Frank could do it video by video.

You know like here is the Song so and so that I played off of this video.. if you wish to learn all that I teach in the video buy the video off my site and link to the place to buy...it's great marketing.

Let's say Gambale's name comes up when people are talking about great players and teachers they can say hey, check out Frank Gambale's site and go to his video area and check out the songs there or link someone to them...again smart marketing and we are only talking about a few songs so it's not like he would be giving away too much.

I see it as a win win.

He is not OBLIGATED to GIVE away his intellectual property for FREE, no matter who says what about him. Could some samples on his website help? Maybe. It doesn't matter though.

• Members

Originally posted by fatfat

He is not OBLIGATED to GIVE away his intellectual property for FREE, no matter who says what about him. Could some samples on his website help? Maybe. It doesn't matter though.

Of course he is not obligated..that's not the point. The point is, it would help slow down the rip off jerks and would be smart marketing for his videos/DVD's.

People would have little need to rip the video if Gambale himself had simples on his site. So, again it's cutting people off before they get started. They could post links to his video area and have no need to look for ripped samples. The guy that ripped the Modes video said he did it so others could see how good Gambale is as a player and teacher. I don't think it was the right thing to do but, people like to know what they are getting before they buy. So, Gambale would be teasing them on his own site.

I think it's a way to out smart the rip off teams out there.

• Members

While I think the idea is a good one (even regardless of the piracy concerns), it seems to me that it will all boil down to the (gulp) honor system.
:freak:

• Members

While I think the idea is a good one (even regardless of the piracy concerns), it seems to me that it will all boil down to the (gulp)
honor system

:freak:

I agree but, if someone ripped a whole video or the simple songs and uploaded them and Gambale nailed them, I don't think they would try it again and it would teach others not to play around. With the bold print stating no ripping and no uploading off my site Gambale could never lose that fight.

• Members

I agree but, if someone ripped a whole video or the simple songs and uploaded them and Gambale nailed them, I don't think they would try it again and it would teach others not to play around. With the bold print stating no ripping and no uploading off my site Gambale could never lose that fight.

I just wonder about the practicality and viability of being able to nail the offending parties. File-sharing services don't seem to be very well-policed, or if they are, it's been kept eerily quiet.

I can also imagine the internet backlash against him (we've already seen a bit of it here already) if he did successfully prosecute even one person. There would be an outrage!

• Members

I just wonder about the practicality and viability of being able to nail the offending parties. File-sharing services don't seem to be very well-policed, or if they are, it's been kept eerily quiet.

I can also imagine the internet backlash against him (we've already seen a bit of it here already) if he
did
successfully prosecute even
one
person. There would be an outrage!

Ok,

I understand what you are staying so here is a case in point.

There is a player a shred player by the name of Michael Angelo Batio. He is a very good player not on Gambale's level but still very good. He uploaded a few videos songs on his site and the word is it really helped his video sales. Sure, if you go on You Tube some people have uploaded on the site but Batio does not seem to care because it helped his sales out so much. So, there is a case in point where it's a smart thing to do.

• Members

Ok,

I understand what you are staying so here is a case in point.

There is a player a shred player by the name of Michael Angelo Batio. He is a very good player not on Gambale's level but still very good. He uploaded a few videos songs on his site and the word is it really helped his video sales. Sure, if you go on You Tube some people have uploaded on the site but Batio does not seem to care because it helped his sales out so much. So, there is a case in point where it's a smart thing to do.

If it truly did work in Batio's favor, then that's indeed a good sign.
:thu:

• Members

If it truly did work in Batio's favor, then that's indeed a good sign.

:thu:

I saw a post on Batio's site where he said it did. He started with one and has made more so if it hurt him, I don't see why he would make more.

One more case in point. There is a other shred player by the name of Rusty Cooley fast, but not the best music but anyways, he started posting video on his site and on google video and the word spread like mad about him. Before he started doing that he was a nobody.

Have I made my point yet :rolleyes:

:D

• Members

I really can't understand why someone would go through the trouble of contacting someone just to narc on a board member - and then the guy just happens to not be able to log on to this site? I mean, a million other guys don't seem to have any problem.

Just smacks of "Look at me! Look at me! I'm posting something important!!!"

Shees...gimme a break. What's the guy losing, his royalties on the sale of a single copy of a video maybe? Seems far more likely that five or ten people will watch that video and say, hey, this is some good stuff, and actually buy the damned thing.

• Members

Originally posted by Little Dreamer

I really can't understand why someone would go through the trouble of contacting someone just to narc on a board member - and then the guy just happens to not be able to log on to this site? I mean, a million other guys don't seem to have any problem.

Just smacks of "Look at me! Look at me! I'm posting something important!!!"

Shees...gimme a break. What's the guy losing, his royalties on the sale of a single copy of a video maybe? Seems far more likely that five or ten people will watch that video and say, hey, this is some good stuff, and actually buy the damned thing.

You know, I was thinking the samething. I don't see how Frank can't register and log in? I have a deep respect for Mr. Gambale but, I do think he was very short with the guy that ripped the modes video.

I could be wrong but, it may be a case where Frank Gambale would like to have a video area on his site but does not know how to do it nor can pay people to do it for him, or he may just be too busy but, if it made him that angry he should take action now and make a video area on his site so he can have something to say about it.

Not that I know it all...but I think my idea for his web site would work and would take care of the whole thing and again if he cares that much he should get right on it now. If he is not there to do it himself bring people on to do it.

It all does seem a bit out of place?

I hope he reads this topic and thinks it over and makes it happen. It seems to be the way to handle this thing IMHO.

• Members

You know, I was thinking the samething. I don't see how Frank can't register and log in?

If you try to register using an anonymous (non-ISP) email account like yahoo or hotmail, you can't get in.

I can understand why someone like him wouldn't want to use his personal ISP account; it's a lot easier to avoid the spam and the crackpots with an anonymous address.

• Members

If you try to register using an anonymous (non-ISP) email account like yahoo or hotmail, you can't get in.

I can understand why someone like him wouldn't want to use his personal ISP account; it's a lot easier to avoid the spam and the crackpots with an anonymous address.

Indeed,

Very good point. :idea:

• Members

Originally posted by MorePaul

Is there any point you are trying to make??

hmmm, not particularly in a global sense

It's a discussion, lots of facets to consider

I suppose individual parts of the discussion have points to raise

Was there are particular part you are unclear on?

Anyways, what I mean is that the emphasis for me is not on the money...

absolutely, transferring that internal perspective other "the other" can help us artistically, personally politically

so when we find ourselves, going "But, what I meant was..." (feeling, perhaps misunderstood in our intentions through the mechanism of the exercise) - we can give quarter to "the other" to be in that position as well

I don't think I like you. I don't know if you realize this or not but half the crap you say doesn't make any sense. Are you from another country?

• Members

Indeed,

Very good point.
:idea:

The skepticism about the validity of the "Gambale reply" (ooh,it makes me feel so history channel) is healthy and welcome
and verification is probably a good step

As you seem skeptical yet open, and have some things you want to run by Mr Gambale anyway I propose this

I send you the email address used and the email subject line (so that Mr Gamble can take notice of the issue)

you idenpendently (for validation reasons) grab the statement and Mr Gambale's email from his website
and email asking him if the posted statement is, in fact his

Fair enough?

• Members

Whats your idea of the perfect microwave dinner?

absolutely, transferring that internal perspective other "the other" can help us artistically, personally politically

so when we find ourselves, going "But, what I meant was..." (feeling, perhaps misunderstood in our intentions through the mechanism of the exercise) - we can give quarter to "the other" to be in that position as well

• Members

How do you feel about the war in Iraq?

• Members

I don't think I like you.

completely fair, and I doappreciate you being forthright about it.

While I do attempt to be on good terms with everyone on the forum, it might be unrealistic to expect to "bat 1000" and there have been others who haven't been particularly great fans -- singingax and walters9515 spring, immediately, to mind

I don't know if you realize this or not but half the crap you say doesn't make any sense.

I do have to apologize for the egregious number of typos lately -- on a notebook that i unfamiliar and both the keyboard response (esp "s", space, and l seem to not trigger as I like) and the glidepoint device are problematic

for instance, in the quoted post

should read

absolutely, transferring that internal perspective to "the other" can help us artistically, personally, politically...

("other" was a glidepoint glitch I suspect)

Are there any particular parts I can make more clear for you?

Are you from another country?

I suppose it depends, relative to what country?

• Members

Why are Japanese cars better than American made cars?

Archived