Which one should I get?!?!?

• Members

I know this should be in the gear forum, probably, but I respect alot of you guys' opinions, so I figured I would ask..

I am torn between a few different models of Suhr that I may want to get...

Here they are:

http://www.jerrysleftyguitars.com/suhr_guitars/suhr-pro-s6-blue-burst-lefty.html

or:

http://www.jerrysleftyguitars.com/suhr_guitars/suhr-pro-s2-cust-surf-green-left.html

or:

http://cgi.ebay.com/suhr-Pro-Series-S3-Lefty-Electric-Guitar-2009-Left-wOHC_W0QQitemZ230446124040QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item35a7a8cc08

The first one (with the floyd rose) would come with a tremol-no as well, just FYI....

What do you guys think???

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, Virg... My first guitar (which I still won) is a Charvel 475 Deluxe... It has a floyd... I used to use the {censored} out of it... I like using it for all those articulations: vibrato, flutters, "sliding" into chords, etc. But because I have been playing my strats, teles and other guitars where the tuning stability of the bar (IF THERE IS A BAR) IS LESS THAN STELLAR... my understanding though, is that on the Suhrs, even the non locking trems are pretty stable tuning-wise...

As far as color, I am most partial to the blue one (with the floyd) but it is also the priciest of the bunch, and if it doesn't come wit hthe tremol-no, it would be a deakl breaker (as I now do alot more stuff that requires my guitar to stay in tune while droning a bassnote and bending and contorting on top..)

• Members

Hmm.

Well, don't get something that will not suit your needs.

I can't see how a non-locking trem could work as well as a Floyd type. It is just superior technology.

You can get a Tremol-No for $70 from All-Parts and put it on your Charvel.

Then send the balance ($2400+) to me. I'll send you back half of it and you can use the money ($1200.00+) to buy a big screen TV. Think how much fun watching that TV will be! Plus I got you a 50% return on your money.

I'm just trying to help.

[YOUTUBE]xiZnipHc1ec&feature=player_embedded#at=38[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

LOL... Thanks, Virg... You're a real pal.

Seriously though... I have always wanted a really nice boutique guitar (except for my 8-string, which is a bit too beastly...) and having Carvins has not really floated my boat... I own alot of guitars... Strats, Teles, Carvins, a Washburn Idol, formerly a 71 Les Paul, blah blah blah.... I just want a sweet "modern vintage" guitar that can really do it all... I have heard nothing but good things about the Suhrs and I really feel like treating myself to a superior instrument.

I think at this point, I have earned the right, you know?!?!

Enough with the souped-up Frnaken Strats I am playing... I want a real firebreathing beast.

• Members

I've spent more money on guitars than is really healthy over the past 20 years, and no matter how much I spend, I keep going back to my 1990 tele plus. It's my baby!

That being said, I've never played a suhr and I hear great things about them. I'd go with the Floyd as well since you use the bar so much.

BTW - I just purchased a "Frankenstrat" as you call it, and it's the first guitar in as long as I can remember that is taking significant playing time away from the tele.

• Members

I just want a sweet "modern vintage" guitar that can really do it all... I have heard nothing but good things about the Suhrs and I really feel like treating myself to a superior instrument.

I think at this point, I have earned the right, you know?!?!

Enough with the souped-up Frnaken Strats I am playing... I want a real firebreathing beast.

I hear you. Go for it.

• Members

I've spent more money on guitars than is really healthy over the past 20 years, and no matter how much I spend, I keep going back to my 1990 tele plus. It's my baby!

That being said, I've never played a suhr and I hear great things about them. I'd go with the Floyd as well since you use the bar so much.

BTW - I just purchased a "Frankenstrat" as you call it, and it's the first guitar in as long as I can remember that is taking significant playing time away from the tele.

I mean, as far as the floyd goes, I USED to use it alot.. I haven't really been giving the Charvel any playing time... It needs a little repair shop love... But I am torn between the non-floating trem and the floyd...

Whatever... I gotta buck up and figure it out..

I should be getting a call from the luthier about the tremol-no and th warranty either being voided or not...

regardless... Any ones look particularly visually appealing to you guys??

• Members

I mean, as far as the floyd goes, I USED to use it alot.. I haven't really been giving the Charvel any playing time... It needs a little repair shop love... But I am torn between the non-floating trem and the floyd...

Whatever... I gotta buck up and figure it out..

I should be getting a call from the luthier about the tremol-no and th warranty either being voided or not...

regardless... Any ones look particularly visually appealing to you guys??

Personally, I like the green color better. Keep in mind, I just bought the Hello Kitty Fender Squire, so...

• Members

There are other colors too... The S2 (alder body) they have in a seafoam green, powder blue and fiesta red....

The fiesta red is out, because it looks like a faded dog dick...

The other two, meh... I am not a huge fan of that retro 60's color scheme, but I am willing to be a convert, I suppose... (If it's good enough for Jeff beck, I could prolly hang...)

I just like the flamed maple tops they have, particularly on the S6 (with the floyd)... It's just so nicely detailed.

• Members

See, that's the thing, bro... Those are all essentially the same guitar (well, the S1 and S2 have alder bodies while the others have basswood bodies with a flamed maple top). So, tone-wise, they are pretty similar... The floyd may affect the resonance some, but should be taken care of with the tremol-no...

So it's almost purely an aesthetic thing... I dunno... I just think the blue one is the hottest one.. Plus i am a sucker for a nice flamed malpe top... or spalted maple...

• Members

See, that's the thing, bro... Those are all essentially the same guitar (well, the S1 and S2 have alder bodies while the others have basswood bodies with a flamed maple top). So, tone-wise, they are pretty similar... The floyd may affect the resonance some, but should be taken care of with the tremol-no...

So it's almost purely an aesthetic thing... I dunno... I just think the blue one is the hottest one.. Plus i am a sucker for a nice flamed malpe top... or spalted maple...

They do make it in hot pink! :poke:

• Members

Does the tremol-no really help with the resonance?

If so, I really need to think seriously about this.

I was quite astonished the difference it make when I un-blocked the floating trem on my strat. When I first received the strat, I blocked the trem before setting it up for play, because at that time I was sick of the string breakage and string bend puts the other string out of tune problems on my previous floating trem.

The recently, I decided to unblock it and see if I could master the art of keeping the notes flowing and moving with the trem bar (a la Gilmour :) )

The first thing I did after playing a few notes was check my leads and the settings on my amp, such was the extent of "deadening" of my beautiful guitar!

(Back on topic, I somehow can't warm to those sharp edges on the body :idk: )

GaJ

• Members

I have had no experience with Suhr guitars - none. So bear that in mind when considering what I have to say.

Firstly, I dont like Floyd Rose systems. They have their place FOR SURE. But are just not for me. Too much twiddlin and messing about - I feel locked in tuning wise.... totally mental thing. I ride the bar pretty hard and my Strat has always been able to hang with it.

Not really a huge fan the headstock... looks kind of cheap ... although if it is a great sounding and playing axe who gives a crap.

Of those the flamed finish caught my eye ... although if I were to actually buy one I would likely restrain and go with the blue which looks awesome too.

I am SEVERELY trying to fight of GAS right now so I am totally out of it with regards to what is happenin out there. I just dont want to know : ) Most days I feel like I can barely play the ones I currently own!

• Members

well, money is not really an object right now..I am hearing lots of different things though... A friend of mine who is pals wit hGuthrie and gets to play most his guitars said I shuld get one with the standard strat style bridge.. he said it stays in tune incredibly well...

I may have to go for the root beer stain one...

We'll see, though...

• Members

Firstly, I dont like Floyd Rose systems. They have their place FOR SURE. But are just not for me. Too much twiddlin and messing about - I feel locked in tuning wise.... totally mental thing. I ride the bar pretty hard and my Strat has always been able to hang with it.

None of my favorite whammy bar operators use one: David Torn, Jeff Beck, Allan Holdsworth, Terje Rypdal.

Torn usually has his bridge set up a certain way, and extra routing in the body to allow for pulls of minor 3rd or greater upwards. I think a few of his buddies (Matte Henderson, Ed De Genaro, etc.) also have their guitars made this way.

• Members

Yngwie Malmsteen doesn't use a Floyd either.

But he has about 30 guitars onstage and a guitar tech to hand him a freshly tuned guitar when he needs it.

Eddie Van Halen does use one.

Traditional bridges are just not up to the demands of serious usage if you going to rely on just one or two guitars.

As far as Floyd type bridges being difficult I don't see it. But you would need a backup in case you break a string.

Occasionally you do find a strat with a traditional bridge that will stay in tune fairly well. However you need to adjust the whammy bar a bit as you play.

The Floyd is just a better mousetrap.

• Members

Traditional bridges are just not up to the demands of serious usage if you going to rely on just one or two guitars.

Torn's current rotation is 3 guitars. Each is so different from the other though that none is really a "backup".

EVH is the one Floyd user whose tone I like - but I prefer his pre-1984 tones.

Maybe Jeff Beck has the luxury of a 30-guitar stable and on-call tech. I doubt Rypdal does though.

• Members

in response to all of this... I have decided.. gulp.. to NOT go with the floyd equipped guitar, eventhough I LOVE THEM, personally... I also love other types, like stop tailpieces, strat trems and tune-o-matics....

BUT, I have decided to go for the classic... I will get a Jeff Beck inspired seafoam green Suhr, alder body... No flamed maple tops or anything... I guess the potentiality of classic tone won out over modern features and whatnot...

I hada long conversation with a friend of mine (who is pals with Guthrie Govan, incidentally) so he gets to play all of Guthrie's guitars... He said their regular "strat" bridge (the Gotoh 510) stays in tune AMAZINGLY....

This kid knows his {censored}, so I will trust him on it.

It actually saves me like $500.00 too, which, if you think about it, is another potential guitar, though it will likely end up as a couple of boutique pedals on my board!!

So booyah!!!

I am prolly gonna order it today...

I will let you guys know the verdict if/when I get it!!!

Archived