Vox Tonelab Lounge. Come on in and share your secrets.

• Members

To be honest I don't have any experience with that kind of set up. Possibly try the amp output setting and then adjust you're patches to sound normal, it seems to me that the amp out may have less harsh highs, it could just be through my gear though. I would say you would have to use some pretty extreme settings to get it to sound right.

On my patches I don't actually use alot of gain for the 'Hi Gain' sound, I've got the recto on 3.4 for gain and 8.4 for VR gain and it sounds pretty heavy, clear and natural. I think sometimes you have to find other ways to make it sound clear (maybe less gain or VR gain) without using as much hi eq or presence, that could help control the hi-end 'fizz'. Lately I've also been eq-ing my tones a bit darker than I thought I needed them, they seem to come across pretty natural and sit in the mix quite well.

Play around with the cab models, some of them seem to cut that fizz off the top more than others.

At the end of the day these are just my thoughts through my gear, as I'm using a guitar amp and cab the 'fizz' is probably less of a problem for than if I was going direct into the computer.

There's also a product called a Harmonic Converger (I think), from what I've heard it's a box that you put between your processor and amp/computer. It apparently makes the amp models, particually hi gain, sound more natural and less fizzy. I don't know how it works or how much they cost but I've heard they work quite well. That may be something to look into. Here's the website http://www.harmonicconverger.com/HC_Home.html

Hope all this helps.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

GReat !

So what kind of trick would you suggest to someone like me who wants to have some nice, not SS-ish fizzy, fairly high gain lead tones and who hasthe following setup : guitar -> TLSE -> computer ?

Thx in advance for your tips.
:thu:

When using the high gain amp models, back off the VR gain to reduce mud and fiz, just like tyou have to with the real amps.

• Members

Play around with the cab models, some of them seem to cut that fizz off the top more than others.

+1,000

I was forgetting. The cab model is very important.

There's also a product called a Harmonic Converger (I think), from what I've heard it's a box that you put between your processor and amp/computer. It apparently makes the amp models, particually hi gain, sound more natural and less fizzy. I don't know how it works or how much they cost but I've heard they work quite well. That may be something to look into. Here's the website

It's a psaaive low pass filter. It has a similar effect to placeing the mic off-centre when micing up a speaker cabinet.

Might be useful but it's bloody expensive for what it is.

• Members

+1,000

I was forgetting. The cab model is very important.

Indeed, I was using the AD412 and I switched to the AC15. MUCH better.

HOwever, with the JJ in, I thought I could push the VR to 10 without getting the synthetic fizz (which seemed to me came more from the "gain" than the VR gain). I'll try to back it off a lil bit.

Thanks again. :thu:

• Members

Does anyone recomend any particular settings for the compressor on the TLSE?

I can't seem to get it to sound right. I don't want it too 'squashed' or 'clicky'.

'Off'

• Members

hmm thanks?

I realise the TLs compressor isnt the best, I want compression that gives it a bit more sustain, 'beef' and kinda 'controls' the dynamics in a more subtle way without squeezing the life out of it.

Anyone come across a pedal compressor that works well with the tonelab?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Man, activity on this thread has dropped heaps, has everyone stopped using their tonelabs? Succumbed to the darkside that is the boss GT-10? saved up enough cash for a g-system and a {censored}-hot preamp?

Doubt I'll ever get rid of mine even if I manage to upgrade.

• Members

A friend of mine who's pretty new to guitar just picked up a Tonelab SE (I think). He really enjoys it and I must say I'm impressed by the sounds it can produce. And I've always been quite negative towards multi-fx stuff.

He's currently going through the fx-noob phase that a lot of people are going through in the beginning, though. Turning on as many effects as possible at a time, and maxing the settings. I guess I'll have to show him this thread to pick up some tips.

• Members

I'm getting a Fuchs moded Traynor. It will effectively be an Overdrive Supreme. I want a Vox clean, Vox or Fender hot clean, gritty Vox, Vox drive, Marshall drive, Boogie Mark IIC+ lead in addition to the two channels of the Fuchs, which are Fender clean Dumble lead. It seems a Vox product made by the same company that owns Marshall should get me most of what I am after.

Pedals could do the bulk of what I want, but that would cost almost as much as a second amp.

Which unit should I invest in the SE or LE?

I have an intellifex which has a great reverb, delay and chorus in it.

How would you set the tonelab up? In the effects loop with a bypass loop for the whole unit or infront of the preamp of the Fuchs?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I am thinking about hooking a POD XT into the loop on my Tonelab LE for some extra tones. If I was to use the Tonelab's MIDI function to switch presets on the POD would I have to have 2 MIDI cords(out from LE>POD, POD>LE)? Also....if using LE's sounds can a preset also send a MIDI change? If you couldn't tell I have NO IDEA how to use MIDI. Thanks!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm baaa-aack. I had a Tonelab (desktop) a few years back, and I was on this thread a bit back around posts 1150-1200. Well, I got back in the game last week with a Tonelab LE. I missed the TL! The floor unit with pedal is SO much more usable than the desktop was.

These are such great units...I'm surprised they aren't more popular.

• Members

I'm baaa-aack. I had a Tonelab (desktop) a few years back, and I was on this thread a bit back around posts 1150-1200. Well, I got back in the game last week with a Tonelab LE. I missed the TL! The floor unit with pedal is SO much more usable than the desktop was.

These are such great units...I'm surprised they aren't more popular.

How are you running yours?

I have couple threads going on different boards about using mine with a keyboard amp or not. I love the cleans but the high end is grating on the distortions when using a lower cost FRFR system.

Currently I will run mine into the power section of a tube amp, Powerblock, or with headphones. I also have an old Korg AX1000 that sounds very similar but works best in front of an amp.

• Members

How are you running yours?

I have couple threads going on different boards about using mine with a keyboard amp or not. I love the cleans but the high end is grating on the distortions when using a lower cost FRFR system.

Currently I will run mine into the power section of a tube amp, Powerblock, or with headphones. I also have an old Korg AX1000 that sounds very similar but works best in front of an amp.

I am going into my Crate V30 (Class A, all tube amp) on the FX return loop. The TL is on one of the Line settings. It sounds pretty good. It's interesting that both with this amp, and with my previous setup (Tonelab desktop with an SS amp), both amps "color" the sound somewhat. Or maybe I should say both speakers/cabinets color the sound a little. You can still detect some of the flavor od the amp in other words - but only at certain times.

• Members

I am going into my Crate V30 (Class A, all tube amp) on the FX return loop. The TL is on one of the Line settings. It sounds pretty good. It's interesting that both with this amp, and with my previous setup (Tonelab desktop with an SS amp), both amps "color" the sound somewhat. Or maybe I should say both speakers/cabinets color the sound a little. You can still detect some of the flavor od the amp in other words - but only at certain times.

I'm running into the clean channel on my tube head (with a little eq and maybe some break-up) with a 2x12" with vintage 30's.

Being able to hear the difference different amps make isn't always a bad thing. As long as the end result is good.

Archived