Vox Tonelab Lounge. Come on in and share your secrets.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hi, I'm new to the forum.

I've read alot about the Tonelabs and I'm getting an LE for christmas. I have a couple of questions.

1. How does one connect their Tonelab to a computer, to use the editing software? Midi In? Would that mean I'd need a Midi to USB interface thingy? If so, any recommendations for one?

2. I'd occasionally like to use the LE through the FX Return of my Non-master volume amp. Would the lack of volume control be a problem?

Thanks, Jim.

• Members

Hi, I'm new to the forum.

I've read alot about the Tonelabs and I'm getting an LE for christmas. I have a couple of questions.

1. How does one connect their Tonelab to a computer, to use the editing software? Midi In? Would that mean I'd need a Midi to USB interface thingy? If so, any recommendations for one?

2. I'd occasionally like to use the LE through the FX Return of my Non-master volume amp. Would the lack of volume control be a problem?

Thanks, Jim.

This is what I use.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-USB-Uno-1X1-MIDI-Interface?sku=701379

• Members

Would
work? It's cheaper and has much better reviews.

I should be getting one of those in the mail either tomorrow or early next week. My ToneLab tabletop unit is not working properly with the midi I have now (gameport midi). However, I'm thinking it's the computer and the Soundeditor SW that has problems. I'll report back if the EMU cables works.

BTW, Amazon has them in stock for the same price w/ free shipping.

• Members

I got it at work today. I installed the Tonelab soundeditor and it connected to the E-MU midi just fine. I don't have my Tonelab at work so it failed to find the device.

In addition, I tried to open the gameport MIDI on my SoundBlaster Live! and it failed just like my home computer. I know the Live! Midi works both here and at home with my GNX. So it appears that Soundlab has problem with the Live! gameport midi.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Bump! And I'm back. Looking good so far but I'm still unsure about running into the power section of my non-master volume amp. From my understanding, having no master means your power section is constantly cranked, right? I downloaded the software and I see a "PROG LVL" knob. That's the one, right? Can that go down without sucking the tone? You know, like a tube preamp would. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Quick question...does the SPDIF out on the Tonelab LE carry MIDI and patch change information as well as the audio signal from the unit? In other words, is the SPDIF connection the only one I need to make to my computer in order to utilise all the functions of the unit?

(Note: with the Tonelab SE that I own, I have to hook up MIDI/Patch change through the sound card joystick port, and the audio is separate and goes into the "line in" jack on the soundcard).

Thinking about getting the LE...especially if it makes my hookup to the computer that much easier:thu:

• Members

Quick question...does the SPDIF out on the Tonelab LE carry MIDI and patch change information as well as the audio signal from the unit? In other words, is the SPDIF connection the only one I need to make to my computer in order to utilise all the functions of the unit?

(Note: with the Tonelab SE that I own, I have to hook up MIDI/Patch change through the sound card joystick port, and the audio is separate and goes into the "line in" jack on the soundcard).

Thinking about getting the LE...especially if it makes my hookup to the computer that much easier:thu:

No.

SPDIF is audio only.

• Members

Dumb question but does the Tonelab LE have a noise reduction function?

From pg 24 in the manual...

Press the CAB button while holding down the AMP button, and adjust the NR SENS (value

knob 4) appropriately. Higher values of noise reduction (0.2, 0.4, ... 10.0) will produce a correspondingly

greater effect. With a setting of

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Is was wondering if it is possible to use the Tonelab LE exclusively as a cabinet simulator (for recording). Or to put it another way... can the amp model be turned off but the cabinet model stay on?

I've heard some great clips of how well it records direct, but a big selling point for me would be if I were able to do the following:

Tube amp - Weber MASS (line out) - LE (cab sim) - computer

I know some folks do this with the POD XT, but I'm interested in the Tonelab unit specifically.

Thanks!

• Members

Is was wondering if it is possible to use the Tonelab LE exclusively as a cabinet simulator (for recording). Or to put it another way... can the amp model be turned off but the cabinet model stay on?

I've heard some great clips of how well it records direct, but a big selling point for me would be if I were able to do the following:

I know some folks do this with the POD XT, but I'm interested in the Tonelab unit specifically.

Thanks!

bump

• Members

Thanks!

I don't think so, but I'm not 100%. I can check tomorrow as i did pick up an LE.

Funny that you ask about the cabs sims, IMHO the cab sims are not the strong point of the Tonelabs. It's the one thing i liked better on the POD's. I mean, the Tonelab version of the H30 cab doesn't quite get it, neither does the V30 cab. And in real life i HATE 75 watt speakers, but that cab sim sounds good to me on the Tonelab. And Vox....where's the Greenback back sim?????????

• Members
I don't think so, but I'm not 100%. I can check tomorrow as i did pick up an LE.

Funny that you ask about the cabs sims, IMHO the cab sims are not the strong point of the Tonelabs. It's the one thing i liked better on the POD's. I mean, the Tonelab version of the H30 cab doesn't quite get it, neither does the V30 cab. And in real life i HATE 75 watt speakers, but that cab sim sounds good to me on the Tonelab. And Vox....where's the Greenback back sim?????????

Thanks for the reply, man! :thu:

Yeah, I hear ya about the cabs and the Greenbacks. I really want the LE for the clean-to-medium-gain stuff for jamming and recording direct, but the cab-alone feature (if there is one) would be an added bonus because it would give me another way to record my tube amps direct.

Let me know!

• Members
Thanks for the reply, man!
:thu:

Yeah, I hear ya about the cabs and the Greenbacks. I really want the LE for the clean-to-medium-gain stuff for jamming and recording direct, but the cab-alone feature (if there is one) would be an added bonus because it would give me another way to record my tube amps direct.

Let me know!

Good news, you CAN shut off the amp sim and just use the cab sims. The amp Sim has an on/off button, then you cycle through the amp sims which show up on the display, you just have to shut off the amp sim first. You don't select them with a knob and you won't them listed on the unit like you would the amp sims. I'm glad about that because maybe they can be updated?

• Members

Good news, you CAN shut off the amp sim and just use the cab sims. The amp Sim has an on/off button, then you cycle through the amp sims which show up on the display, you just have to shut off the amp sim first. You don't select them with a knob and you won't them listed on the unit like you would the amp sims. I'm glad about that because maybe they can be updated?

That's great! Thanks!

Archived