Vox Tonelab Lounge. Come on in and share your secrets.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What amp do you play your tonelab through?

Tube or SS?

I've tried a few setups from tubes to powered mini mixers an I ended up with a power amp Electovoice CP1800. 1200 watts over 4 ohms. Linked that gives me a whopping 600 watts to kill my Marshall 1922 cab 8 ohms, which I obviously try to avoid. So I have alot of power reserve just to keep my sound clean and crisp when needed. All overdrive and distortion come from the combination below.

My tonelab desktop goes into the loop of my Boss GT5 for the ease of changing parameters within one patch. The tonelab is only for its great amp simulations, everything else I do with the GT5 where I can put different effect chains per patch and it alows me to change 10 different parameters by pressing 3 footswitches and 1 pedal, per patch. Great setup for me it is.

Hope this helps.

• Members

I'm finding that I really like the amp modeling (particularly the Fender, Vox and Boutique Clean). I think with some tweaking I will be able to find some overdriven sounds that I like.

The effects are kind of a mixed bag for me, and there are only 4 or 5 of the presets that I can imagine using.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

AWESOME!..Big step up in tones from the SE.

Hey Jess...still curious as to why the LE is such a big step up from the SE in terms of tone...could you elaborate a little?

This one is open to anyone who wants to chime in. I have an SE....love it. However, if I thought that the LE was a big step up, I wouldn't mind trading up at this point. I know the obvious...that the LE is 24-bit as opposed to 20-bit in the SE....I also like the smaller footprint of the LE...and apparently they have tried to put in some modeling to help get those ultra high gain sounds,(not much use to me personally though) that everyone was whining about with the SE....what else would be there to "sway" me over to the LE?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi guys
Im the new owner of a Tonelab SE
I really needed something for my touring covers band/show

I have a few questions for guys with experience with the Tonelab units.
Hope you guys dont mind helping me out ?

Just playing (Through Both JCM 800's 2003 & 1959 Marshalls ) to compare
at home last night going through the patches editing .

I noticed even with the modulations off there seems to be
a slight in the tunnel effect & a slight modulation on the Distorted sounds
that i cant seem to remove.
Has anyone found a way to eliminate this ?

I know i have a lot of editing to do before I get the tones im looking for .

Also Im hoping to run one line out into the PA & the other into one of my marshalls set clean.
Would this be a good way to run the unit live ?

Thanks , looking forward to some great ideas & advice.

• Members

That's not a problem I have come across.

Also Im hoping to run one line out into the PA & the other into one of my marshalls set clean.

No. You need to set the output to either Line, for the PA, or Amp, for the Marshall. So either one or the other would sound wrong. You could plug one output into your Marshall's FX return, but even then it won't sound the same as the PA feed, as the tone will be modified both by the Tonelab's speaker simulator and my the Marshall's speaker.

For on stage monitoring, either get a monitor mix off the PA, or use a compact, active (powered) PA speaker like a JBL EON, Mackie SRM350, Electrovoice SX300 or similar. Or a keyboard amp works well. Roland Keyboard amps are excellent, and Behninger keyboard amps are excellent value for money.

• Members

Hi guys

Im the new owner of a Tonelab SE

I really needed something for my touring covers band/show

I have a few questions for guys with experience with the Tonelab units.

Hope you guys dont mind helping me out ?

Just playing (Through Both JCM 800's 2003 & 1959 Marshalls ) to compare

at home last night going through the patches editing .

I know i have a lot of editing to do before I get the tones im looking for .

Thanks , looking forward to some great ideas & advice.

If you are running the Tonelab SE through a guitar amp, don't use the cab simulator (turn it off)

• Members

I'm having trouble using the Sound Editor with my ToneLab. I've only been able to get it to work a couple times. The problem is that it nearly always refuses to open the MIDI Out. I use the MIDI with other apps with no problem.

I'm thinking it has someone to do with my computer and the Sound Editor software. So my question is... If you run the SoundEditor program without the TomeLab connected, does it come back and say that it can't find the ToneLab (MIDI comunication error), or does it say that that it can't open the MIDI. I just want to make sure that there is nothing wrong with the MIDI port on my ToneLab.

• Members

Thanks for the info guys.
I have played around with the speaker simulator.
Some Patches sound better with it on .
It can sound a bit thin without it , I need to play with the patches a bit more

If i cant resolve this... Im thinking of changing to another unit .

• Members

Hi there.

I'm a gigging pro, and I've been using a simple pedal setup for years;

Emma ReezaFratZits (distortion)
Marshall Bluesbreaker (boost)
TC Electronics Chorus/flanger
Line 6 DL-4 (delay)
Korg DT-10 (tuner)

and I've been growing a little tired of having to press 3 pedals to get from, say, a clean sound to my lead sound (dist, boost, delay), so I've gotten a vox tonelab SE to play around with (it is returnable, so please give your honest opinions). The plan is to use my Reeza in the insert on the board, and using the boards own effects, bypassing the amp sims, just using the tonelab for effects and switching. Here is the issue - I can't find anything to use for my lead boost. There are pedal sims, for example the Boutique (Klon Centaur) and a comp, but none of them offer any real boost in volume - mind you, I've only tried with headphones, does that make a difference?

Any experiences, ideas, etc. would be much appreciated.

• Members

So, you bought the best amp modeller going, with its meager selection of effects, and you are not going to use the amp models?

Run back to that shop and get a Boss GT6 pr GT-8 instead. Way more and better effects, way more versatile, way better for your application. The amp sims aren't as good as the Tonelab's, but you aren't going to use them anyway.

• Members

Well, I know that it's not the greatest effect processor, but I thought that I would get a double sided blade - great modeling (for recording) + effects and switching. Besides, this one was dirtcheap - I found one used for under 100$

Do you have an answer for my question?

• Members

Ah, so you want it for recording the amp models as well.

Ok.

For a lead boost without changeing patch - I can't think of anything internal to the Tonelab, if you are not using the amp sims. If using the amp sims, the Channel A/B facility is ideal for this.

• Members

Ah, so you want it for recording the amp models as well.

Ok.

For a lead boost without changeing patch - I can't think of anything internal to the Tonelab, if you are not using the amp sims. If using the amp sims, the Channel A/B facility is ideal for this.

I think you've misunderstood - I don't mind changing the patch at all, but I have trouble finding a suitable volume boosting feature.

• Members

Just wondering if you guys use the FX Loop

There isn't much info in the manual.

Where does it sit in the signal chain ?

It is at the front of the chain, before anything else, and it cannot be moved.

& will external Overdrive pedals work in the Loop .

I have a few old pedals that I would like to use with the Lonelab amp mods

They will work, so long as you don't dime the Level.

Archived