OT: White African Americans

dZjupp

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, since there are white Africans, I guess it could stand to reason that a white African who came to America and became a citizen would technically be a white African American.

But in principle, the term "African American" is just a nicer way to say "black person", since we consider black people whith, say, carribean herritage, to be African American, although they may have no African lineage.

So, yes and no, I guess.

• Members

Originally posted by sirhcathome

Well there are white people who were born in Africa. Then you have the people north of the Sahara who are not "black" but Arabic, and I don't know how they are catagorized by the government.

this is what i was referring to, i mean people from s. africa are white, british heritage, but yeah THEY"RE WHITE, so if they came to america what would we label them? HA HA, no one would know:eek:

• Members

Originally posted by hangwire

my friends prefer American or rather just "black" as they find it insulting that people would call them AA even though they have never been to Africa ...

Anyone that gets offended or insulted by the term African American can kiss my ass. Although personally I've always just said black.

• Members

conversation between dude in my class and a student teacher (who was black)

dude: so, do you prefer to be called black, or african-american?

ST: well first of all i'm cuban, and second i prefer to be called denise

• Members
Originally posted by Andersonology

Her father was, so I suppose she actually is, isn't she?

I was shocked when I first heard this, that she thinks she's black. I felt she must be delusional, kinda like TV's Fran Fine, aka the Nanny, when she at one point, obviously very wrongfully, believes herself to be black. Later, I came to realize that Mariah may be justified in calling herself black - I think you may be right, but I don't recall exactly how the story goes. Anyway, here's a picture from her web site. Whatever she may be or wish to call herself, she is nice looking!

5148-11802-44942.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by Montag

conversation between dude in my class and a student teacher (who was black)

dude: so, do you prefer to be called black, or african-american?

ST: well first of all i'm cuban, and second i prefer to be called denise

That's different..you're in Canada. Black people have French accents and all sorts of wierd stuff. Not really the same thing.

• Members

Originally posted by Thelonius

That's different..you're in Canada. Black people have French accents and all sorts of wierd stuff. Not really the same thing.

truth

also, we don't have quite as colourful a history with black people here.

we have it with aboriginals instead.

Archived