OT: White African Americans

dZjupp

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by MrSage

Dave Matthews is African American. He was born in South Africa, to be exact.

Are there African Americans in England? Not many...So what are you supposed to call people of color if you're over there?

i thought about using him as an example....

in Engalnd i think they would be called bloody buggers

• Members

There are many African Americans who are light enoug to pass as white people. I think that the movie The Human Stain is pretty telling of what some light skinned Black people struggle with. Also, I have heard some stories first hand of light skinned Black people using it to their advantage. Why wouldn't you? If it can help you avoid discrimination....

• Members

Dave Matthews is African American. He was born in South Africa, to be exact.

Are there African Americans in England? Not many...So what are you supposed to call people of color if you're over there?

He may be, but there is a difference. Genetically speaking, he isn't a Black person, right? Unless there is something I don't know about the guy. I assume he is of European descent and a left over from the colonization of South Africa, right?

• Members

Originally posted by jcn37203

But in principle, the term "African American" is just a nicer way to say "black person", since we consider black people whith, say, carribean herritage, to be African American, although they may have no African lineage.

If they are dark-skinned like an African, and they live in the Carribean, they do indeed have African genetics. The native populations of North and South America did not have such dark pigments. For the most part, slavery brought the Black Diaspora to all parts of the Western Hemisphere.

• Members
Originally posted by dZjupp

PBS=All Truth

:rolleyes:

I don't know what you meant. Could you explain? :confused:

I don't know whether science can be "All Truth" in particular when speculating about the distant past, as is the case with many PBS documentaries. In this one they focus on what VirtualToad mentioned; the origin of man in Africa. (Of course, those people at PBS could be wrong and men came from Eden or Mars :) ).

I will say that I find their programs more informative and thorough than what is presented in other stations that have clear "conflicts of interest" (e.g., Fox, CNN, NBC, etc.)

Or maybe you prefer the scientific rigor[i/] of news magazines? :confused:

• Members

Originally posted by hangwire

my friends prefer American or rather just "black" as they find it insulting that people would call them AA even though they have never been to Africa ...

I have known many people who feel the opposite. Or, they prefer Afro-American. I guess it all depends on what that person wants personally.

• Members

Originally posted by dZjupp

are you?

what kind of stupid ass question is "are there white african americans?" actually, now that i think about it, i certainly understand your confusion. the magnetic pull of the moon doesn't allow any white man to be born on african soil. silly me. and here i thought it was just a politically correct label created because someone decided calling a black person "black" was racist. thanks for setting me straight. resume leading America.

• Members

Originally posted by ColorsoundKid

I have known many people who feel the opposite. Or, they prefer Afro-American. I guess it all depends on what that person wants personally.

A friend explained that he preferred the term African-American since that tied him to a mass of land and to a specific heritage. Other people could not care less.

By the way, I don't really understand the need in the US to use arbitrary -and often incaurate- labels. For example, encompassing hundreds of Nations under the "Native Americans" umbrella, without really acknowledging all of the differences within groups falling into this classification. The same applies to Hispanics or Europeans. Maybe it makes things easy. Maybe it's to be politically correct. I have no idea...

• Members

I'm a native American.

Born and raised here. Live here.

Don't know what else it takes to be a native...

A lot of labels are stupid. But it's even stupider that people get offended by them when they're not used in a derogatory manner. I mean, if there's one "person of darker skin, possibly a descendant of African slaves" in a group of "people of lighter skin, most likely descendants of Europeans," how do you point them out? It's funny to see people try to avoid using color of skin when they're pointing someone out.

"Yeah, that's my roommate over there. The guy in the faded jeans. With a blue shirt. Really short hair. Dark hair. Black hair. THE BLACK GUY, DAMMIT!"

:eek:

[everyone in the room gasps, staring at the racist with the ethnically diverse roommate]

• Members

Originally posted by Thelonius

That's different..you're in Canada. Black people have French accents and all sorts of wierd stuff. Not really the same thing.

Not quite sure what you mean by that. The majority of black folks in Canada came from places that don't have a French background.

• Members

I'm a native American.

Born and raised here. Live here.

Don't know what else it takes to be a native...

A lot of labels are stupid. But it's even stupider that people get offended by them when they're not used in a derogatory manner. I mean, if there's one "person of darker skin, possibly a descendant of African slaves" in a group of "people of lighter skin, most likely descendants of Europeans," how do you point them out? It's funny to see people try to avoid using color of skin when they're pointing someone out.

"Yeah, that's my roommate over there. The guy in the faded jeans. With a blue shirt. Really short hair. Dark hair. Black hair. THE BLACK GUY, DAMMIT!"

:eek:

[everyone in the room gasps, staring at the racist with the ethnically diverse roommate]

heh heh

• Members
Originally posted by virtualtoad

Man started in Africa. We're all black.

I am laughing in a Bleach Boy kind of way.

Is the singer for Storyville and Alien Love Child, Malfred Milligan an albino black. When I listen to music I see no colors. All I know is that dude is a great singer. I don't care about his color, its his delivery that I love. :cool:

• Members

A colleague of mine is originally from South Africa and of English descent. She married shortly after coming to America and thus became a citizen. She innocently checked "African-American" on a college application since she technically is.

Trying to categorize people according to skin color or ethnicity is stupid anyway. I once received an application to a law school that had the category "Hispanic (not Cuban)". I called the school asking why Cubans were exempted from the Hispanic category and was told, "Cubans have assimilated too well."

While such an assessment may be flattering, doesn't that mean the criteria for admission is irrational?

Like all generalizations, such designations fail. Most Cubans are "white" or "black". In fact, my mother could not understand why I would check "Hispanic". She said, "you're white". Same thing goes for Mexican. Many people in Mexico are white, especially the upper class.

I don't know, it seems to me that asking someone to check their ethnicity on an application is discriminatory on its face. For example, if you give preferential treatment (read, prejudice) to say, blacks, you are assuming they have been victimized.

Let me give you a personal example. I transferred from one law school to another. When the accreditation team from the ABA came to school number two, they asked if anyone wanted to meet and share observations. I arranged to meet with them since I was in a unique position to compare the two law schools. When I arrived and gave them my name, they immediately asked me if I "felt comfortable as a Hispanic in a predominantly white school" and if "my views were given a fair hearing". I told them that they ought to be ashamed of themselves for assuming that as a Hispanic I would automatically have political views that differed from my peers. I also stated that I could not believe that the fate of the law school was in the hands of such bigots.

• Members
Originally posted by NoKingButChrist

A colleague of mine is originally from South Africa and of English descent. She married shortly after coming to America and thus became a citizen. She innocently checked "African-American" on a college application since she technically is.

Trying to categorize people according to skin color or ethnicity is stupid anyway. I once received an application to a law school that had the category "Hispanic (not Cuban)". I called the school asking why Cubans were exempted from the Hispanic category and was told, "Cubans have assimilated too well."

While such an assessment may be flattering, doesn't that mean the criteria for admission is irrational?

Like all generalizations, such designations fail. Most Cubans are "white" or "black". In fact, my mother could not understand why I would check "Hispanic". She said, "you're white". Same thing goes for Mexican. Many people in Mexico are white, especially the upper class.

I don't know, it seems to me that asking someone to check their ethnicity on an application is discriminatory on its face. For example, if you give preferential treatment (read, prejudice) to say, blacks, you are assuming they have been victimized.

Let me give you a personal example. I transferred from one law school to another. When the accreditation team from the ABA came to school number two, they asked if anyone wanted to meet and share observations. I arranged to meet with them since I was in a unique position to compare the two law schools. When I arrived and gave them my name, they immediately asked me if I "felt comfortable as a Hispanic in a predominantly white school" and if "my views were given a fair hearing". I told them that they ought to be ashamed of themselves for assuming that as a Hispanic I would automatically have political views that differed from my peers. I also stated that I could not believe that the fate of the law school was in the hands of such bigots.

That's a lot of {censored}ing words wasted on a thread that's ripe for some racial jokes. And you blew your chance with a rant that no one will read.

This is why you and I don't have slumber parties. :mad:

Archived