The synthesiser, consumerism and anthropology.

Guest Anonymous

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Plastic Baby

I find, by sitting in a very quiet room for an hour, before turning on a synth, i'll appreciate silence so much that when the music process begins i'm finely tuned into a wider spectrum of sound.

Some of us wish that you would learn to appreciate silence a little more...

• Members
Originally posted by Twilight Drone

Re: A huge list of overlapping synths I posted before.

In my opinion, amateur musicians, like myself, gather many synths not necessarily because they know they will use it wisely and effectively to their full potential. They rather have some aspirations which may or may not lead to some good use of the instruments. It has more to do with fascination and exploration than consumerism.

Not that I have many synths, just one, but if I had more room and money I would buy some more synths, to experiment with layering and to develop techniques to play them all at the same time.

Well said ;)

Not that it matters to PB

• Members

If man was not supposed to have multiple synths god wouldn't have given us MIDI.

There are definitely people I've come across (even me in the past) that have bought another synth before fully exploring/understanding the potential of existing pieces.

On the other hand even amongst the VA's there is a enough difference in their abilities/specialities that owning a couple of VA's is not a cause for worrying about 'overlap'.

• Members

I heard another thread on a thread demo site that sounds better than this thread. I MUST have that other thread in order to be a better forum poster.:D

You know, playing synths isnt just fun..BUYING them is fun too!! You know you just all love the process, the research, pouring over demos, staring longingly at pics on the web. Listening to your old tracks and thinking "I wonder how it would have sounded with synth ________". The excitement when you finally win the auction or find that crazy deal at the local music store. Coming home from work and seeing that big ass box from UPS leaning up against the house...the packing peanuts all over the kitchen, then finally getting it hooked up and that first glorious note.....

....damn I gotta get me another one!!! :D

Awake77

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by Don Solaris

Untitled-2.gif

LOL

I was going to do something similar myself :D

I also have this program that jumbles words up.

• Members

Of course it relates to synthesisers, it relates to all forms of collecting.

In what you quote it discerns between obsessive forms of collecting and "normal" collecting.

...and the behavior was classified as abnormal if the collection was extensive; the collected items were not "useful" or aesthetic.

Synthesizers do not fall under non-aesthetic. That they aren't used by the buyer for the time being is something different from not being useful. 300 fridge magnets aren't useful, a synthesizer is.

What I'm reading into this thread is that you're trying to rationalize your message by quoting research. Your method could use a lot of work, though.

• Members

I might answer your questions, i already have a reply to your list, but you'll have to wait, i have to think about whether it's really worth replying to a new member who already chose to reply to a point yoozer made and also leaves a link that refers to a trap
;)

Oh, of course, my mistake then. I thought you would actually be interesed in a sensible and rational debate.

:D :D :D

• Members

I think what you're really saying ( i could be wrong )

You are. Those constraints are not put up by me; if you want to use this research in a sensible way, you'll have to obey the scientific method. Merely thought-provoking is just not enough :).

• Members

some self-congratulatory stuff

That's nice and all, but you never actually debate any of your ideas. In this thread all you've done is dodge every issue that's brought up. You argue about things but never the topic at hand.

• Members

that 'darling of the forum' thing is weird.

if we reassure you that you're our collective darling will you feel better and get out of the 1-topic rut?

heh. if you 'true motive' is to provide the online thread equivalent of a little "stress-toy" that you can squish thump against the desk for fun.. perhaps you're on to something.

• Members

A questionnaire completed by a close family member was used to identify problematic collecting and the behavior was classified as abnormal if the collection was extensive; the collected items were not "useful" or aesthetic.

so, do you propose that synthesizers are neither useful nor aesthetic?

• Members

Yoozer, you really shouldn't take all this so personally, by doing so you'll get linked to some of the less desirable characters on this forum.

ya know..I aint been here to long...but so far your the least of the desirables...

Archived