The synthesiser, consumerism and anthropology.

Guest Anonymous

• Members

The fresh view on PB's background and views have made this fascinating all over again.

For those who really really don't want to read the whole thread, the summary is:

PB spent years accumulating a metric f*ckload of gear and ultimately realized "Why did I need all this?".

Now, later in years he's searching for someone else who might foolishly do the same thing. That person will receive experienced advice about analyzing thier real needs for a synth, or more importantly, another synth. Now its just a matter of hooking PB up to the appropriate needy soul.

With all that in mind, I'm suprised we don't see PB in threads like "I am about to rebuild my rig, and i would like some input." where Cold Truth lays it on the line about some potential changes and additions to his kit. That's where it could really help. Threads with narrow definitions, highbrow editorialism, and reactionary escalation get nowhere and convince no one.

It is definately easy to want gear. It takes some wisdom to make a thoughful decision and choose what you need.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Plastic Baby

Obviously, collecting synths can be very rewarding, but from a music perspective, just how many synths does the talented programmer and musician need?

As many as he finds necessary to create the music he wants.

• Members

Those quotes are incorrect and you're exagerating again?

How can i possibly take you seriously?

I was not quoting you. These are observations culled from the ocean of text you produce. Also, that text wasn't directed at you, so there's no need for you to 'take' what I'm saying in any manner. No worries.:thu:

You might benefit all synth users by encapsulating your gear selection thoughts into a single well written document. It's a meaningful message, but the decentralized delivery that comes from these posts will (imo) forever prevent you from reaching the people who really need to hear it. Might make a good article in an online or print keyboard magazine.

Funnel that energy somewhere that achieves your goal.

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by Allerian

Funnel that energy somewhere that achieves your goal.

Some of you guys just don't get any of this. Has it occured to you that i don't want to funnel my energy :D

This is a synth forum, a place to post threads, the efforts involved are minimal, a large post takes 25 minutes max, i rarely get into silly debates, an handful of members spot thier own actions within these threads, often turning to spoiling tactics, using excuses and it's all natural human behaviour, this proves these threads are effective. I consider Piggy, Don, Yoozer, Drool and a few others as more gear junkies and tech heads than focused musicians, i never expected these threads to be that useful to them and compared to the numbers that will read these threads, they're just a minority few. It's why i mostly ignore them, i've never really had that much to say to the gear heads.

These threads could prove useful to many members, i have no idea why you exagerate when you say "no one will get any use unless i funnel my energy" perhaps you should stop viewing all of this through your own narrow perspective. This is a synth forum, where better to post a thread relating to synths :confused:

These threads are thought provoking, you really should stop reading more into all of this, there is no hidden agenda and i don't want a magazine article, now stop it :D

• Members

Some of you guys just don't get any of this.

Don't care

Has it occured to you that i don't want to funnel my energy
:D

No one cares

This is a synth forum, a place to post threads, the efforts involved are minimal, a large post takes 25 minutes max, i rarely get into silly debates, an handful of members spot thier own actions within these threads, often turning to spoiling tactics, using excuses and it's all natural human behaviour, this proves these threads are effective.

Except that no one gives a fcuk about them, but still you insist on keeping them alive, desperate to prove a point about fcuk knows what

I consider Piggy, Don, Yoozer, Drool and a few others as more gear junkies and tech heads than focused musicians, i never expected these threads to be that useful to them and compared to the numbers that will read these threads, they're just a minority few. It's why i mostly ignore them, i've never really had that much to say to the gear heads.

The world doesn't stop to listen to your so-called insights? Well fcuk me sideways

These threads could prove useful to many members,

How???

i have no idea why you exagerate when you say "no one will get any use unless i funnel my energy" perhaps you should stop viewing all of this through your own narrow perspective. This is a synth forum, where better to post a thread relating to synths
:confused:

...or you could stop whining and STFU, then GTFO

These threads are thought provoking, you really should stop reading more into all of this, there is no hidden agenda and i don't want a magazine article, now stop it

Yawn yawn yawn yawn yawn yawn

:thu:

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but wtf dude, get a grip.

Mickey.

PS. and for fcuk's sake, why would you even post this??

We're the synth nuts, always on the net,

We're the synth nuts, another synth to get,

Blue ones, yellow ones, i rarely make a tune,

Red ones, green ones, i'll have another soon,

We're the synth nuts, always on ebay,

We're the synth nuts, the girlfriend thinks i'm gay,

Black ones, grey ones i'm looking for a pink,

White ones, silver ones, here's a picture with a link,

Repeat to fade

I'm a synth nut

I'm a synth nut

Guest Anonymous

Perfection :D

I vote that the most interesting reply on the thread so far, thought provoking, full of sense and meaning :D

I wonder what it was that really made you post?

Classic.

• Members

In no particular order:

- The pure inanity of your post

- Your refusal to accept that ultimately no one's interested in whatever theory you've come up with, and that it has no impact on ummm anything _at all_

- The pictures under your post made me think you're probably a bit um... (IMHO, of course)

- The fact that you reposted your own question - if people were interested you wouldn't need to do this

- Those song lyrics did you no favours

- Plus I haven't posted here for ages but kept on seeing this thread, and wondered why someone hadn't just told you to stfu.

On those grounds I took it upon myself to do so.

HTH

:)

Mickey

Ps. I could think of more reasons if you like, these are the first that spring to mind; let me know :thu:

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by Mickey Tee

Ps. I could think of more reasons if you like, these are the first that spring to mind; let me know

Please do and do it before i log out, i'm about to bring this thread to a close, i'm just preparing things now.

I really value your opinions, fascinated actually, especially how you use the phrase "no one" a lot. You seem to enjoy speaking on behalf of the whole forum.

Now, you do realise that you're only making an opinion? or are you confident? Can you provide evidence? facts? to back up your claims that "no one" finds these threads interesting, useful or thought provoking?

A thread into 17 pages, on which members have already posted and said that it's been interesting and useful ( even commented on other threads about this thread being useful ) emails, several PM's, 69 people clicking an attachment?

Like i said earlier, classic :D

• Members

Please do and do it before i log out, i'm about to bring this thread to a close, i'm just preparing things now.

APPLAUSE

I really value your opinions, fascinated actually, especially how you use the phrase "no one" a lot. You seem to enjoy speaking on behalf of the whole forum.

Now, you do realise that you're only making an opinion? or are you confident? Can you provide evidence? facts? to back up your claims that "no one" finds these threads interesting, useful or thought provoking?

A thread into 17 pages, on which members have already posted and said that it's been interesting and useful ( even commented on other threads about this thread being useful ) emails, several PM's, 69 people clicking an attachment?

Like i said earlier, classic

Then why did you have to repost the question? If everyone's so interested...

• Members

Originally posted by Don Solaris

hmmm... Plastic Baby what do you mean by that?

LOL

He's about to bring this thread to a close - I'm kind of banking on either one final huge insight into synths and whatever-the-fcuk-he's-trying-to-argue, next weeks lottery numbers or for the meaning of life to be revealed in all it's futility

:freak:

• Members

i rarely get into silly debates

Baffling. I would contend that the primary and only thing you do on KSS is get into silly debates - about one topic. You rarely (I'd like to say 'never') help members who are looking for real input.

So, do you curl into a ball and rock back and forth on your heels while saying stuff like this? "yeah, a handful of members spot thier own actions within these threads, often turning to spoiling tactics, using excuses and it's all natural human behaviour, this proves these threads are effective, I'm definately right, definately."

Let me save you part of your 25 minutes, "Oh there you go misquoting me, which somehow fuels my motor all over again.".

, I consider Piggy, Don...
...invoking, you really should stop reading more into all of this, there is no hidden agenda and i don't want a magazine article, now stop it

Um, holy cow. You have a lot to say no matter what, hey? The number of "clicks" or "reads" you think you're getting is more likely the number of folks who are watching the slow ecstasy of yet another crash landing ending in a deleted thread.

• Members

That was a lot of reading.

Plastic baby posts some interesting questions. Given it's a discussion forum, WTF!

As to those who want to poke holes in him, it interests me no end that you send a lot of time telling him to shut up, but keep responding. Silence would be a lot more effective, yes? If Plastic Baby is truly wrong and doesn't belong on the forum, then no one would post a reply, and then he would go away.

One issue with this all, many, including plastic baby, and some of his mighty foes, seem determined to elevate themselves by dissing others. (is dissing still a term?). I think all the view points are valid. It's about what floats your boat. I don't think anyone should say a gear head is wrong because he likes gear more than playing it. I also don't think a player who just wants it to sound right and doesn't much care about the gear is wrong. Both views are valid: it's what they want to do, and it hurts no one. Fact of the matter is, the more people that buy synths, the lower the price and the more {censored} to buy.

As to the ORIGINAL questions, I am sure the inventors of synths were just geeks having fun, they had no sociological intentions, they just wanted to make cool noise with {censored}. Same as the rest of us.

As to the overall supermedia-ization and overexpectations of synths, IMHO, this is because marketing people and John and Jane Q Public see it as an instrument for NON-musicians. You need a certan amount of physical skill to blow a sax, bow a double bass, play the drums. With a synth you can be making a recognizable sound in SECONDS. So marketing people wanted to put a synth in every persons living room, NOT JUST SELL THEM TO MUSICIANS.

Now, fact of the matter is you need to be a musician to make any instument, including a synth, sound good and make music. The marketing premiss is in error, but it sells {censored} so they go with it.

That was fun!

Cheers!

• Members

Originally posted by fishmanrod

That was a lot of reading.

Plastic baby posts some interesting questions. Given it's a discussion forum, WTF!

As to those who want to poke holes in him, it interests me no end that you send a lot of time telling him to shut up, but keep responding. Silence would be a lot more effective, yes? If Plastic Baby is truly wrong and doesn't belong on the forum, then no one would post a reply, and then he would go away.

A curiously illogical reply. So - if someone is wrong, they will win any debate by definition, because if they were "truly" wrong, no one would reply? How much time do you really think it takes to post a reply?

I think that people like you certainly encourage him more than his 'critics'. Generally, when the posts get to critical, he leaves in a huff eventually. Think about it - if no one posted anything negative, and the only posts were positive like this one, why in the world would he be encouraged to leave? Your post is self contradictory.

• Members

Originally posted by droolmaster0

A curiously illogical reply. So - if someone is wrong, they will win any debate by definition, because if they were "truly" wrong, no one would reply? How much time do you really think it takes to post a reply?

I think that people like you certainly encourage him more than his 'critics'. Generally, when the posts get to critical, he leaves in a huff eventually. Think about it - if no one posted anything negative, and the only posts were positive like this one, why in the world would he be encouraged to leave? Your post is self contradictory.

APPLAUSE

• Members

Silence would be a lot more effective, yes?

Silence is also the same as acceptance. When someone is wrong being silent when one knows the truth is the same as saying they are right.

Now, fact of the matter is you need to be a musician to make any instument, including a synth, sound good and make music.

No, that's not a fact, that's an opinion.

• Members

Hey umbra, is your avatar a Wankle? Cool.

Yup, it's the Renesis.

Best drive I ever had, torque curve that was not a curve!

Hehehe..... torque, what's that. It really throws a new driver off and makes them think the car is really slow until they look at the speedo and learn how to conserve their momentum on the corners. Which car did you drive? I have an 8 with a pretty heavily modified suspension. Did one of those round-about interstate on ramps that had a speed limit of 25 at over 70 last week without even a chirp from the tires. The wife was about ready to kill me after that one though, she thought we were going to eat the cement lane divider. It's getting harder and harder to get her into the car, she thinks we are going to die. The first thing out of my son's mouth whenever he sees I have the car out is "Dad, let's go fast!" so at least I have one driving buddy.

What I love too is showing up at car shows and telling the guys with their 600hp V8's that they would have to output about 1200+hp stock to get the same output to displacement ratio that I got when I was stock much less modified.

Anyway, saving up for some wide light-weight wheels are tires so no money for synths.

• Members

Originally posted by fishmanrod

I think all the view points are valid. It's about what floats your boat. I don't think anyone should say a gear head is wrong because he likes gear more than playing it. I also don't think a player who just wants it to sound right and doesn't much care about the gear is wrong. Both views are....

tl;dr

:bor: :bor: :bor: :bor: :bor:

Archived