The synthesiser, consumerism and anthropology.

Guest Anonymous

• Members

How much of the population own synths? I would guess that it pretty insignificant compared to the amount that own digital cameras, computers, mp3 players and the ultimate consumerism gem - the mobile phone!

I really do think you're spouting off your wisdom to the minority on here.

Did you need to buy another camera with more megapixel than last years?

My 4-year old son told me on our way back from Cambridge last week that a kid in his class has a mobile phone. WTF is that all about? Why do these kids NEED the latest phone that does what extra compared to last weeks one? Last year I overheard a mother moaning at her son (who could have been no more than 8) that he had run up a

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Mook

I really do think you're spouting off your wisdom to the minority on here.

Yes but see, we're the minority that counts ;). We're the infidels to be saved from the fires.

My 4-year old son told me on our way back from Cambridge last week that a kid in his class has a mobile phone. WTF is that all about?

Nannyism from mom & dad. Is their kid still safe? Is every wish obeyed? Where are they going?

• Members

Originally posted by Plastic Baby

Yoozer, i do recall you leaving the forum for a while because you thought i was correct, sinse then you have become as predictable as me, the difference now being that you are all for as many synths as possible and refuse to even aknowledge i could be correct.

Mobile phones, i'm all for kids owning phones, especially for saftey reasons, but

• Members

Their actions, things they say and do make perfect sense, just like i'm starting to make sense of why musicians find themselves purchasing many synths without questioning if they actually need them.

I believe, everyone who buys a new synth to the collection actually questions and justifies every purchase. They come to the conclusion that they absolutely need the new synth, just like the kid who needs last week's mobile. Even a different colour of the synth may be a valid reason, you'll never know.

The problem is that no one can persuade an adult that they don't need something while they feel they do. Thus the thread has no other impact on those who collect synths than making them rise the shields and set blasters on full against you, PB ;-)

I think consumerism affects those who (admitedly or not) depend on others as opposed to individualists. Plastic Baby, you are probably an individualist like me. I have already learnt that I cannot change the way groups of people think as well as masses can't change my approach to things. Communication between these two worlds is very hard. Trying to prove that new synth is redundant is as hard as explaining a kid that he doesn't need a new PSP game. The difference is that unlike synthesists, kids have no money for their toys.

Anyway, synthesizer is different from instruments like acoustic guitars, flutes, trumpets and violins. The technology involved is fascinating itself and keyboards can do so many things that playing with them can be enjoyable without any relation to actual music production. What can you do with a trumpet apart from making music with it or putting it back in its case? Sythesizer at least can look cool when turned on in a dark room.

The synthesizer technology is a very important part of synth world. It can be seen when you go through KSS and guitar or woodwinds forums for example. On KSS there are very few or no threads about fingering techniques, articulation and so on. Most of them are about "what synth is best for...", "my new synth", synth prices, ebay and "digital vs analogue vs softsynth vs OASYS" ;-)

You are absolutely right that synth is a dream product for an advertiser. That's true, same with mobile phone. We have to live with it.

In my opinion collecting synths is all right as long as it doesn't ruin family life :-)

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by droolmaster0

Some opinions.

edited to save space.

Saving the forum from me, yet again?

That was some post, i'm wondering whether you're making an opinion or meant it to read as fact?

There is so much wrong with your post ( in my opinion ) but i really don't want to get in a tit for tat with you, it warrants a reply but i'm wise to you now and thats why i decided to tidy up a few posts earlier where i'd replied to you, i decided not to get involved, like i said, i'm wise to you.

I'm still being polite though but you'll get little from me, i remember you calling me a " Nazi" because you didn't agree about something, i should have never forgiven you for that, probably the most outragous and totally out of place comment i've read on KS&S but here i am, still being polite.

Sometimes i think you're just letting me know you're around perhaps even enjoying a response from me ( possibly enjoying this? ) and you obviosly take me much more seriously than i do you. Your the member who enjoys calling members " Assholes " and " Nazis " and then accuses them of avoiding rational debates with you, hehe, like i said, wise to it ;)

The last bit of your post

" Folks - try as many synthesizers as you can. Come to your own conclusions. You'll learn a lot both by doing that AND by then applying yourself to those that really strike your fancy "

I totally agree with that and have said similar in all of my threads, thanks for twisting things.

I think i'd rather let the many hundreds of members ( also peeps ) decide who is making the more sense here. Those members who read more than they post. I'm more than confident about that, i'll continue to do what i do until i'm banned or decide to stay away.

But you continue saving the forum from me, if thats what you prefer to do :D

Welcome to my thread, by the way.

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by Twilight Drone

I believe, everyone who buys a new synth to the collection actually questions and justifies every purchase. They come to the conclusion that they absolutely need the new synth, just like the kid who needs last week's mobile. Even a different colour of the synth may be a valid reason, you'll never know.

The problem is that no one can persuade an adult that they don't need something while they feel they do. Thus the thread has no other impact on those who collect synths than making them rise the shields and set blasters on full against you, PB ;-)

I think consumerism affects those who (admitedly or not) depend on others as opposed to individualists. Plastic Baby, you are probably an individualist like me. I have already learnt that I cannot change the way groups of people think as well as masses can't change my approach to things. Communication between these two worlds is very hard. Trying to prove that new synth is redundant is as hard as explaining a kid that he doesn't need a new PSP game. The difference is that unlike synthesists, kids have no money for their toys.

Anyway, synthesizer is different from instruments like acoustic guitars, flutes, trumpets and violins. The technology involved is fascinating itself and keyboards can do so many things that playing with them can be enjoyable without any relation to actual music production. What can you do with a trumpet apart from making music with it or putting it back in its case? Sythesizer at least can look cool when turned on in a dark room.

The synthesizer technology is a very important part of synth world. It can be seen when you go through KSS and guitar or woodwinds forums for example. On KSS there are very few or no threads about fingering techniques, articulation and so on. Most of them are about "what synth is best for...", "my new synth", synth prices, ebay and "digital vs analogue vs softsynth vs OASYS" ;-)

You are absolutely right that synth is a dream product for an advertiser. That's true, same with mobile phone. We have to live with it.

In my opinion collecting synths is all right as long as it doesn't ruin family life :-)

Interesting post, got me thinking.

This is not about trying to change groups of people, but i know for sure i can get quite a few to atleast think.

People do what they do, but we are musicians, this is a music forum and i know for sure the synthesiser is one brilliant and unique instrument. Some log into forums to chat about nothing, i prefer to do things a little different. These words and opinions are rarely wasted though, i read my posts over and over and learn from them, i'm also searching for something different and my typing and gramma is improving all the time.

Thanks for sharing your opinions, some of which i might use later in the thread.

• Members

I'm still being polite though but you'll get liitle from me, i also remember you calling me a " Nazi" because you didn't agree about something, i should have never forgiven you for that, probably the most outragous and totally out of place comment i've read on KS&S but here i am, still being polite.

I called you a Nazi for a specific reason and in a specific context, which, if you really cared for the truth, you could research a little. I didn't call you this because you disagreed with me about something, which is such a distortion of the truth that it is tantamount to a lie. I called you a Nazi, and once or twice commented that you would have made a good one, by your several times repeated political comments that our leaders know more than us and that therefore we should shut up and trust them, and your gleeful support of our government's atrocities. I have never called anyone at any time a Nazi simply because they disagreed with me. Passive/aggressives are terminally polite, I agree, but they are aggressive nonetheless.

Sometimes i think you're just letting me know you're around perhaps even enjoying a response from me ( possibly enjoying this? ) and you obviosly take me much more seriously than i do you. Your the member who enjoys calling members " Assholes " and " Nazis " and then accuses them of avoiding rational debates with you, hehe, like i said, wise to it
;)

Now, listen carefully. I WILL call you a name now. I am calling you a liar. The facts back me up, and you can do searches for me and the various terms that you use. YOU are the only person that I ever called a Nazi. I actually called you a Nazi one time, and mentioned that you'd be a good one once or twice. I stand by those comments in the context in which they were made. I have several times used the Nazis in political arguments to point out the flaws in what people were saying - whether one agrees with me or not, it is quite obvious that I was not calling these people Nazis. Similarly, if you search for posts in which I have called people 'asshole', you'll find that I called you one - I believe one time, and one other person (with one post that I deleted after a minute and apologized). This is in well over 1000 posts.

You also claimed above, though in your revisionist frenzy you probably deleted it, that I called you an 'attention whore'. That is an outright fabrication.

The last bit of your post

" Folks - try as many synthesizers as you can. Come to your own conclusions. You'll learn a lot both by doing that AND by then applying yourself to those that really strike your fancy "

I totally agree with that and have said similar in all of my threads, thanks for twisting things.

As I've said, the problem is with your condescension, arrogance, and the way you respond to anyone who challenges your constant repetition of the same ideas, as if you are somehow saving us from something. The ideas are simple and can be discussed among rational people. But that's not what you do.

• Members
Originally posted by Twilight Drone .........................................................................................................Trying to prove that new synth is redundant is as hard as explaining a kid that he doesn't need a new PSP game. The difference is that unlike synthesists, kids have no money for their toys.

...............................QUOTE]

I'd say the difference is that most adults earn the money for their toys and have the right to spend it however they see fit.

• Members

Originally posted by pighood

:wave:

Cool. Add one. I missed that one in my search.

It was in response to your,

"I guess we can look at Auschwitz as a method of eliminating the harmful CO2 emissions of a future generations of planetary rapists", some smarmy point by you equating me to a Nazi? Can't be sure because you never explain your stupid jokes. In any case, I'll definitely stand by that one proudly.

• Members

Originally posted by pighood

Most likely I'll do both.

Guess the whole liberal tolerance & easygoingness thing is a sham.
:wave:

Sorry - I edited my post, and now yours doesn't make much sense. But then again, you wouldn't have explained it anyway. Now's the time for a nice gear photo.

• Members

Look, how many of these instruments overlap soundwise? The owner is definitely a talented musician, performer and programmer.

Akai S900

Akai S1000

Akai DD1000

ARP 2500

Arp Pro Soloist Bosendorfer grand piano

Crumar Compakt Piano

Elka Rhapsody 610

Ems Vocoder

Emu E4X Sampler

Emu Emulator 1

Emu Emulator 2

Emu Proteus/2

Ensoniq VFX-SD ET1

Ensoniq Mirage

Farfisa Synthorchestra

Fender 88

Hammond B3

Hohner Clavinet

Korg 01W/FD

Korg 700 monophonic

Korg 800DV

Korg DSM1

Korg DVP1

Korg i3

Korg Karma

Korg M1

Korg M1R Module

Korg Poly 800

Korg Polyphonic Ensemble

Korg PS-3300

Korg S1

Korg Symphony

Korg T1

Korg T2

Korg T3

Korg Trinity

Korg Triton

Korg x3

Korg Wavestation

Kurzweil 250

Kurzweil K1200

Kurzweil K2000

Linn LM1

Moog Minimoog

Moog Modular System

Moog Satelite

Oberheim 2 Voice

Oberheim Matrix 12

Roland CR 5000

Roland D50

Roland JD800

Roland JP-4

Roland JP-6

Roland JV1080

Roland JV80

Roland JX8P

Roland Juno 106

Roland Jupiter 4

Roland MKS 20

Roland MKS 70

Roland MKS 80

Roland MPG 80

Roland Paraphonic 505

Roland Promars

Roland RE-201

Roland S-50

Roland S-760

Roland S-770

Roland SH-3A

Roland SH-1000

Roland Super JD-990

Roland Super JV-1080

Roland System 100

Roland System 700

Roland TR-626

Roland U110

Roland Vocoder VP-330

RSF Kobol

Sequential Circuits Prophet 5

Sequential Circuits Prophet VS (rackmount)

Sequential Circuits Prophet 10

Simmons SDSV

Stylophone 350s

Tornado "Reed" organ

Theremin

Waldorf Microwave

Yamaha CP-80

Yamaha CS-40M

Yamaha CS-80 (x7)

Yamaha DX7

Yamaha TX7

Yamaha DX7 II

Yamaha DX21

Yamaha EMT100

Yamaha GS1

Yamaha GS2

Yamaha RX5

Yamaha SY77

Yamaha SY99

Yamaha VL1

Seven CS-80s for spare parts, what do you think about this?

• Members

Just like you i enjoy those fun toy casios, i recently came across something quite rare, its a casio SK model and didn't see it in your pic. Can you guess which model?

No.

• Members

Yoozer, i do recall you leaving the forum for a while

I recall you leaving the forum many times for much less severe reasons :).

Your concern about accounts not working anymore is unfounded; you do not register on the radar of the kind of people we'd like to see banned. You'd have to make racist statements or post obscene pictures for that.

because you thought i was correct

At that time there was more than just that going on.

since then you have become as predictable as me

Not by a mile.

the difference now being that you are all for as many synths as possible

dr00lmaster's right in this: that's not what I'm for. I'm for anyone to have as many synthesizers as they want without having to take flak for it from anyone.

and refuse to even aknowledge i could be correct.

You could be but aren't.

All your opinions are based on an arbitrary and personal standard - well, it'd be a standard if someone else would share your views.

You can not possibly conceive that someone owns multiple synths that overlap because you personally don't see a point in that; instead you insult people underhandedly, saying that therefore they aren't creative, or that they can't program, or that they should call themselves collectors instead of musicians.

If that's not what you intend to say, by all means, make it easy for this guy who has the delusion that he's always right. Sum up your points in a neat bulleted list, be as expansive as possible. Don't use the "story mode". Let's solve this for once and for all.

Mobile phones, i'm all for kids owning phones, especially for saftey reasons

Especially for safety reasons they should not be owning them but use common sense when talking to strangers. The phone doesn't protect you, the phone is easily taken away or lost, and it's replaced expensive fashion as a status symbol in schools where uniforms are mandatory.

but

• Members

Can someone explain the Anthropology part without me having to read all 90 pages? I like science. Like the exibit in the local museum, body worlds I think it is. They have all these real bodies preserved and disected so you can see what you look like from the inside out. Like a life size version of the Visible Man model.

Ooh, just found out the Blue Man Group is coming to town this year! :eek:

• Members

Originally posted by BillyWa

Can someone explain the Anthropology part without me having to read all 90 pages?

Yes. The actual word that would be more correct is Psychology because we're dealing with behavior here of a similar subset of the population.

I like science.

More synthesizers need to be named after either planets, or better, dinosaurs.

• Members

:D

Probably the strangest post i have read in five years of using the internet, even more odd considering this is a music forum, if only i'd had the recorders running when i laughed out loud this morning, i'd have of posted up the sample

If you're joking, tongue in cheek stuff i'd have to say you're very witty, have a wicked dry sense of humour and i could respect that.

If you really did mean all that? its perhaps better to avoid you at all costs, even if you're polite, i'd still rather avoid any further comunication with you.

I still say you're having fun, how could you possibly continue to call another member condescending and arrogant without realising you yourself are exactly that? its fascinating stuff and i consider it luck that you posted in my thread. You belong on this thread, probably don't realise how important it was for you and a few others to participate in this thread, adds weight to my arguments about musicians spending way too much time on the internet rather than making music.

How much gear do you have, again?

I have to stop now, i refuse to step over the line and prefer to give you the benefit of the doubt. At times you appear to be intelligent and i prefer the idea that you have this wonderful dry sense of humour.

It's really none of your business what I own or what I don't own, how I spend my time or don't, and many other things in which you assume an air of superiority. The important points of my last post remain unscathed - you're a liar - you have accused me of certain things and these things can be proven to be greatly exaggerated or totally fabricated. I'm glad you enjoy my sense of humor - historically you have been unable to discern when I am joking and when I am not.

• Members

One of these, Casio SK60

sk60.jpg

You might already have it? i couldn't tell from your pic. Its supposed to be the last and rarest of all the SK samplers. I might use it on a track, 4 samples can be played in sequential order, 4 effects and very cheesy drums and presets

I like it.

WOW! I am GASing for one of those!!! Do they ever show up on eBay?

• Members

Originally posted by BillyWa

WOW! I am GASing for one of those!!! Do they ever show up on eBay?

Now you've done it, Plastic Baby :mad: You're not helping the cause here.

Archived