The synthesiser, consumerism and anthropology.

Guest Anonymous

• Members

Originally posted by Plastic Baby

Some members might not want to read the whole thread, so here is a more condenced version, concentrating on my main points and opinions.

The history of the synthesiser interests me, more so what those original inventors and designers intended it to be used for. In my opinion the synthesiser has taken the full force of modern day consumerism, along with all the crap associated with it. Infact, i cannot think of another musical instrument shrouded in such hype, huge advertising compaigns ( empty promises, anyone? ) and so many flashy colors, often little more than the slightest of design changes and upgrades. The modern day synthesiser must surely be the worlds most misunderstood, perhaps abused musical instruments.

Is this what those early pioneers and inventors intended? I think not.

If you look at modern day consumerism and then take a closer look at the history of synths, how they evolved, it's possible to see why the synth became the advertisers dream, so much potential for churning out what is essentially the same models but somehow with the promise to be the " ultimate " model.

I often wonder if the original inventors of the synth would consider owning many synths as defeating the objective? Would those original inventors agree or disagree about whether synths have really evolved the past few decades? in my opinion technolgy and design as improved but not much else, in many cases the sound of modern synths could be considered inferior and the dream of synthesis lost within the technolgy and design that makes them so attractive.

After researching the history of synths and then taking an even closer look at the many different models, their features and sound making ability, for many musicians its often an exercise in collecting synths than anything remotely to do with music making.

Gandhi once said "There is enough on earth for everybody's need, but not for everyone's greed."

I'm sure Gandhi wasn't refering to synths but sometimes, i wonder if musicians ( i'm particularly interested in synth players ) question why they need so many synthesisers? and whether or not "greed" plays some role?

I'm not convinced gear accumulation is about greed though, in my experience, keyboard and synth players tend to be the more sensitive and creative of musicians, questioning world politics and other world issues, unlike some drummers and lead guitarists i know
:D

Musicians will, can and do own many synths, i'm more interested in why non collectors, amateurs and semi professional musicians choose to use synths? how they're using them and if they are even aware of any overlaps? whether they appreciate how powerful advertising is, the pressures of modern day consumerism and how trends have had an effect on people and synths.

I believe far too many keyboard players have lost their way ( not always their own fault ) or have been fooled into viewing the synthesiser just like another everyday throw away product.

I wonder how many synth owners initialize their synths? start programming from scratch? If more did this it would be almost inconceivable to imagine a situation where most keyboard based musicians could need more than several synths, in my opinion.

Trends.

rubic1.jpg

hula-hoop.jpg

mobile_top.jpg

lower-back-tattoo.jpg

68395212_c462392f19_m.jpg

Vintage synths and gear accumulation?

tb303.jpg

Here's 3 lists of Keyboards and synths.

List A

Yamaha Motif

Korg Triton

Roland Fantom

List B

Access Virus C

Korg Radias

Waldorf Q+

Clavia Nord ( any model )

List C

Roland JX3p

Roland JX10

Roland Jupiter 6

Korg Polysix

Akai AX80

Sequential P600

Think about this, if you could choose one from each list to write an albums worth of tracks, which 3 would you choose?

I have left the lists fairly short but i consider one modern workstation, one RA and one VA more than enough sonic power for most music duties, certainly for demos.

How about these three lists.

List A

Yamaha EX5

Yamaha SY99

Kurzweil K2600

Korg M1

List B

Moog Mini Moog

Arp 2600

Oberheim OB1

List C

Yamaha DX7

Roland Jupiter 8

Sequential Prophet 5

Elka Synthex

Oberheim Matrix 12

One of each, which would you choose?

How about if i said choose any four from all lists

Yamaha Motif

Korg Triton

Roland Fantom

Roland Jupiter 8

Sequential Prophet 5

Elka Synthex

Oberheim Matrix 12

Moog Mini Moog

Arp 2600

Oberheim OB1

Yamaha EX5

Yamaha SY99

Yamaha DX7

Kurzweil K2600

Korg M1

Roland JX3p

Roland JX10

Roland Jupiter 6

Korg Polysix

Akai AX80

Sequential P600

Access Virus C

Korg Radias

Waldorf Q+

From a musical point of view, could you still find reasons for needing other synths after choosing any four from that list?

Obviously, collecting synths can be very rewarding, but from a music perspective, just how many synths does the talented programmer and musician need?

Please, someone tell me I'm imagining things..........

:freak:

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How many synths did you say you own?

Truth's going to find you.

You can run but you can't hide.

I thought you were wrapping up this WOB of a thread

• Members

Yoozer, please ask the administrators to ban the moniker Plastic Baby, i have disabled private messages and i want the moniker banned, i really do. Show the administrators or powers at be this post, i want it banned so others will finally believe the ADSR thing is finally over. Its upsetting the forum way too much, i admit its been a mistake this time around, i stand by everything i posted, i love the synth, just like everyone else, but all this ADSR {censored} is as stale as as a fishermans fart.

Everyone let off steam, now tell me to {censored} off.

• Members

So, everyone who doesn't like pb, shut up so we can read beautiful sentiments like,

"Plastic baby posts some interesting questions. Given it's a discussion forum, WTF!"

Nah, someone has to be the voice of rationality. The above is kinda like saying cancer has the right to live and shouldn't br treated? Or like saying we shouldn't treat AIDs cause it's caused by a virus and killing the virus would be wrong, we should just find a way to live togeather in harmony with the AIDs virus.

• Members

Some members might not want to read the whole thread, so here is a more condenced version, concentrating on my main points and opinions.

The history of the synthesiser interests me, more so what those original inventors and designers intended it to be used for. In my opinion the synthesiser has taken the full force of modern day consumerism, along with all the crap associated with it. Infact, i cannot think of another musical instrument shrouded in such hype, huge advertising compaigns ( empty promises, anyone? ) and so many flashy colors, often little more than the slightest of design changes and upgrades. The modern day synthesiser must surely be the worlds most misunderstood, perhaps abused musical instruments.

If you look at modern day consumerism and then take a closer look at the history of synths, how they evolved, it's possible to see why the synth became the advertisers dream, so much potential for churning out what is essentially the same models but somehow with the promise to be the " ultimate " model.

I often wonder if the original inventors of the synth would consider owning many synths as defeating the objective? Would those original inventors agree or disagree about whether synths have really evolved the past few decades? in my opinion technolgy and design as improved but not much else, in many cases the sound of modern synths could be considered inferior and the dream of synthesis lost within the technolgy and design that makes them so attractive.

After researching the history of synths and then taking an even closer look at the many different models, their features and sound making ability, for many musicians its often an exercise in collecting synths than anything remotely to do with music making.

Gandhi once said "There is enough on earth for everybody's need, but not for everyone's greed."

I'm sure Gandhi wasn't refering to synths but sometimes, i wonder if musicians ( i'm particularly interested in synth players ) question why they need so many synthesisers? and whether or not "greed" plays some role?

I'm not convinced gear accumulation is about greed though, in my experience, keyboard and synth players tend to be the more sensitive and creative of musicians, questioning world politics and other world issues, unlike some drummers and lead guitarists i know

Musicians will, can and do own many synths, i'm more interested in why non collectors, amateurs and semi professional musicians choose to use synths? how they're using them and if they are even aware of any overlaps? whether they appreciate how powerful advertising is, the pressures of modern day consumerism and how trends have had an effect on people and synths.

I believe far too many keyboard players have lost their way ( not always their own fault ) or have been fooled into viewing the synthesiser just like another everyday throw away product.

I wonder how many synth owners initialize their synths? start programming from scratch? If more did this it would be almost inconceivable to imagine a situation where most keyboard based musicians could need more than several synths, in my opinion.

Trends.

rubic1.jpg

hula-hoop.jpg

mobile_top.jpg

lower-back-tattoo.jpg

tb303.jpg

List A

Yamaha Motif

Korg Triton

Roland Fantom

List B

Access Virus C

Korg Radias

Waldorf Q+

List C

Roland JX3p

Roland JX10

Roland Jupiter 6

Korg Polysix

Akai AX80

Sequential P600

Think about this, if you could choose one from each list to write an albums worth of tracks, which 3 would you choose?

I have left the lists fairly short but i consider one modern workstation, one RA and one VA more than enough sonic power for most music duties, certainly for demos.

List A

Yamaha EX5

Yamaha SY99

Kurzweil K2600

Korg M1

List B

Moog Mini Moog

Arp 2600

Oberheim OB1

List C

Yamaha DX7

Roland Jupiter 8

Sequential Prophet 5

Elka Synthex

Oberheim Matrix 12

Yamaha Motif

Korg Triton

Roland Fantom

Roland Jupiter 8

Sequential Prophet 5

Elka Synthex

Oberheim Matrix 12

Moog Mini Moog

Arp 2600

Oberheim OB1

Yamaha EX5

Yamaha SY99

Yamaha DX7

Kurzweil K2600

Korg M1

Roland JX3p

Roland JX10

Roland Jupiter 6

Korg Polysix

Akai AX80

Sequential P600

Access Virus C

Korg Radias

Waldorf Q+

From a musical point of view, could you still find reasons for needing other synths after choosing any four from that list?

Obviously, collecting synths can be very rewarding, but from a music perspective, just how many synths does the talented programmer and musician need?

• Members

Trends.

rubic1.jpg

hula-hoop.jpg

mobile_top.jpg

lower-back-tattoo.jpg

tb303.jpg

List A

Yamaha Motif

Korg Triton

Roland Fantom

List B

Access Virus C

Korg Radias

Waldorf Q+

List C

Roland JX3p

Roland JX10

Roland Jupiter 6

Korg Polysix

Akai AX80

Sequential P600

List A

Yamaha EX5

Yamaha SY99

Kurzweil K2600

Korg M1

List B

Moog Mini Moog

Arp 2600

Oberheim OB1

List C

Yamaha DX7

Roland Jupiter 8

Sequential Prophet 5

Elka Synthex

Oberheim Matrix 12

Yamaha Motif

Korg Triton

Roland Fantom

Roland Jupiter 8

Sequential Prophet 5

Elka Synthex

Oberheim Matrix 12

Moog Mini Moog

Arp 2600

Oberheim OB1

Yamaha EX5

Yamaha SY99

Yamaha DX7

Kurzweil K2600

Korg M1

Roland JX3p

Roland JX10

Roland Jupiter 6

Korg Polysix

Akai AX80

Sequential P600

Access Virus C

Korg Radias

Waldorf Q+

Steve? Is that you Steve?

• Members

lower-back-tattoo.jpg

So if I own 35 synths, but only use 3 at a time, is that ok?

Lets see, right now I use the Nord Electro for a Coffee Table, Waldorf XT as a book end and Andromeda as a night light. :bor: sleepy time...

• Members

LOL

Trends. Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.Trends.

• Members

Trends.

rubic1.jpg

hula-hoop.jpg

mobile_top.jpg

lower-back-tattoo.jpg

tb303.jpg

List A

Yamaha Motif

Korg Triton

Roland Fantom

List B

Access Virus C

Korg Radias

Waldorf Q+

List C

Roland JX3p

Roland JX10

Roland Jupiter 6

Korg Polysix

Akai AX80

Sequential P600

List A

Yamaha EX5

Yamaha SY99

Kurzweil K2600

Korg M1

List B

Moog Mini Moog

Arp 2600

Oberheim OB1

List C

Yamaha DX7

Roland Jupiter 8

Sequential Prophet 5

Elka Synthex

Oberheim Matrix 12

Yamaha Motif

Korg Triton

Roland Fantom

Roland Jupiter 8

Sequential Prophet 5

Elka Synthex

Oberheim Matrix 12

Moog Mini Moog

Arp 2600

Oberheim OB1

Yamaha EX5

Yamaha SY99

Yamaha DX7

Kurzweil K2600

Korg M1

Roland JX3p

Roland JX10

Roland Jupiter 6

Korg Polysix

Akai AX80

Sequential P600

Access Virus C

Korg Radias

Waldorf Q+

Bump in case you missed this

• Members

How many synths do I get?

I would like only three.

Roland Fantom X

Alesis Andromeda

Korg Radias

All I need is the Radias and I am all set!

Trends.

rubic1.jpg

hula-hoop.jpg

mobile_top.jpg

lower-back-tattoo.jpg

tb303.jpg

List A

Yamaha Motif

Korg Triton

Roland Fantom

List B

Access Virus C

Korg Radias

Waldorf Q+

List C

Roland JX3p

Roland JX10

Roland Jupiter 6

Korg Polysix

Akai AX80

Sequential P600

List A

Yamaha EX5

Yamaha SY99

Kurzweil K2600

Korg M1

List B

Moog Mini Moog

Arp 2600

Oberheim OB1

List C

Yamaha DX7

Roland Jupiter 8

Sequential Prophet 5

Elka Synthex

Oberheim Matrix 12

Yamaha Motif

Korg Triton

Roland Fantom

Roland Jupiter 8

Sequential Prophet 5

Elka Synthex

Oberheim Matrix 12

Moog Mini Moog

Arp 2600

Oberheim OB1

Yamaha EX5

Yamaha SY99

Yamaha DX7

Kurzweil K2600

Korg M1

Roland JX3p

Roland JX10

Roland Jupiter 6

Korg Polysix

Akai AX80

Sequential P600

Access Virus C

Korg Radias

Waldorf Q+

• Members

You say you originally planned to start a new thread, i planned not to reply any more in this thread, only bump up my signature post occasionally, but because it's you asking the question, i'll make an exception
;)
We've had our little differences but i've never considered you one of the idiots, one of the wasters.

If you're really into this music thing, a small Pro setup could make all the difference, it's not just about gear, you're the important one, the music is in you, we all have to learn how best to let it out.

See? I told ya'all it wouldnt stay gone long LMAO

• Members

If it were me, i'd ditch the following

(almost everything)

That's a {censored} load of stuff you got there yoozer, why not sell the lot and get an Oasys
;)

It doesn't look that impressive :(.

There's something I notice though, unless I'm missing something:

A6, LP, SY99, Kontakt, hi quality effects

Software setup

All the effects you feel neccassary.

You extol of the virtues of the Eventides and high-end Lexicons. Fine. But, do they have software equivalents at all (or more correctly; are software equivalents necessary at all or can sheer volume make up for it)? Or are they in the shape of the Waves plugins, UAD cards with Sony Oxford EQ or something? Or does this mean putting the software through hardware effects?

Guest Anonymous

Guys.

I've been saying all along how powerful advertising is.

The impact of ADSR is just like those adverts, i've used ADSR to prove how easy it is to manipulate.

My intentions were good, own as many synths as you want but don't go fooling yourself, we don't need many synths to make high quality music.

AK, no hard feelings.

The Carousel Candy thread stays, i just deleted almost every single Plastic Baby post just so you remember how powerful advertising and manipulation really is.

ADSR

• Members

Guys.

I've been saying all along how powerful advertising is.

The impact of ADSR is just like those adverts, i've used ADSR to prove how easy it is to manipulate.

My intentions were good, own as many synths as you want but don't go fooling yourself, we don't need many synths to make high quality music.

AK, no hard feelings.

The Carousel Candy thread stays, i just deleted almost every single Plastic Baby post just so you remember how powerful advertising and manipulation really is.

ADSR

So, essentially you are admitting that you are a troll...

Archived