The synthesiser, consumerism and anthropology.

Guest Anonymous

• Members

Hartmann Neuron didnt exactly storm the market. That might have been prices and bugs that killed it as well of course, but it certainly was an attempt at moving the technology forward.

I completely agree, it was an attempt at moving forward but the implementation of that attempt was piss poor. I think it was prices, bugs, and the implementation that killed things. Who wants a synth were they make up new pointless names for common well known parameters? Especially when all it is is a pc with a controller interface.

It's the typical problem we seem to see from the german synth companies minus Access. Decent ideas but absolutely now business sense in implementing those ideas in a functional or markettable way. That and it seems to be the same group of guys behind each of these failed german synth companies.

I think if it would have been done by Roland for example it would have been dumbed down a little, the parameters would have been named reasonably, it would have had a lot less bugs and it would have done better in the market.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by eminor9

Btw, what is the dept of the feet?

If I remember correctly, 44 centimeters (I made a sketch with AutoCAD once. They protrude a bit on the front, though; about 4-5cm. I'll check again when I'm home.

edit: checked. Not 44, but 39 cm. Protrusion is 5 cm.

• Members

yeah...but at $2000 for the entry level eventide.....and near 8k for the 'good' model, I dont think thats going to be within many of our means without taking out a home loan..

Ive thought about a used H3000 though. they are reasonable for what they are.

• Members
Originally posted by Plastic Baby

If more synth owners invested in high end multi effect units, i'm certain synth lists would shrink. Adding an high end Eventide to even a basic synth setup could be one of those defining musical moments. Think of the effect processor as the missing link and perhaps why many keep searching for the ultimate synth failing to realise that a single synth and an Eventide or two ( how about three
:D
) could offer you a universe of sound possibilities, any music production would also be much more professional.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1309470

Sounds to me like someone needs to stop and learn thier gear. Or is it only this magical high end fx that will cure all of your synth problems and make your music more "professional"? But I'm certain that you have a rationalization coming for it - after all, we now know that "different synths filters are all the same". :D

I swear PB, you have to be the biggest gear whore I have ever run across. There's no other explanation for your depth of knowledge. Your gear list is never the same twice and you claim direct experience with literally everything ever made with the possible exception of the Monomachine. Nice work! :thu:

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by Allerian

"different synths filters are all the same".
:D

Nice try Allerian, but all you do when exagerating like that is look silly, other members can read the thread and quote and see what i really posted, why do some of you do this? you are the fourth on this thread to mis quote :D

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1309470

Are you attempting to use an exagerated and false quote to explain away all the common sense and useful info in this thread? now stop it :D

• Members

No, you didn't specifically say, "different synths filters are all the same". You said, "I don't think there's huge differences between most synths filters".

I figured that following your gross exageration of my point where you replied, "we'll have to disagree about most synths offering huge difference between filters." which was far from what I'd said, that quoting you in a general way would be no worse. I will be more accurate than you in the future if that's what you require to stay on point.

Don't avoid what I'm asking you. Now seriously, why do you need to have these high-end fx? Sounds like a quest for "the next thing that will make my music better" to me. Back to the woodshed on gear you already have, perhaps? But that's impossible, as you're about to tell us.

• Members

I think alot of synth have so-so bland filters on them - in that repect pb mabye right, and its other capabilities that may make them usful and unique(-ish).

The synths that tend to stand out from the crowd however, tend to do so largely on their filters I think (in the RA/VA world at least).

BTW - does anyone know of a synth with a variable-Q filter? Ie variable width of resonance peek? - just curious...

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by Allerian

I will be more accurate than you in the future if that's what you require to stay on point.

Don't avoid what I'm asking you. Now seriously, why do you need to have these high-end fx? Sounds like a quest for "the next thing that will make my music better" to me. Back to the woodshed on gear you already have, perhaps? But that's impossible, as you're about to tell us.

Allerian,

You'll either agree with some of the things posted in this thread or you wont and sometimes there's little need to debate. I've learnt from experience that forum debating can be a pointless exercise, i don't use the internet for that.

I attempt thought provoking threads that rely more on every day common sense than radical and i'm confident that i'll be correct more often than wrong on much of this. That might come over as arrogant, but this is not rocket science.

Gear accumulation is a real problem for some. You cannot deny this. It's happening, it's a fact.

The power of advertising which links perfectly with gear accumulation will also be a real problem for some musicians. The evidence is all around, you cannot deny this, the power of advertising is proven. This is fact.

Just a few of the things i post about, but you've heard it all before, right?

Pro quality fx units, why do i use them?

I view effects as important as any synthesiser, infact i use them like a synthesiser, i create patches with them.

Pro quality effect units rarely sound like the effects included on synths and lower priced fx units, unless you want them too. Pro fx units tend not to color a sound, instead allow you to add fx to the original sound, in practice this means a lot more control. If you want to totally twist and color a sound you can still do this, but for ultra clean multi fx and beautiful reverbs for vocals, synths and drums, i consider several Lexicons and Eventide models to be worth every penny.

It's something you have to experience yourself, i'll sit with a simple synth for hours and not get bored, song ideas flowing, it's very inspiring.

• Members

Originally posted by Tony Scharf

yeah...but at $2000 for the entry level eventide.....and near 8k for the 'good' model, I dont think thats going to be within many of our means without taking out a home loan..

Ive thought about a used H3000 though. they are reasonable for what they are.

$8k!!! The new Eventide H8000 can be had everywhere for $5.5k (MAP, I assume), and if you look around you can find it for 5k and probably less. It's actually kind of cheap when compared to the top end Lexicon and TC Electronic models, which go for about twice as much.

• Members

Originally posted by packrat

Q as in quality factor and no, it isn't resonance. Cutoff sharpness would be a better way of thinking about it.

B>

No, Q is resonance. Cutoff sharpness would be the order or number of poles in a filter. If your filter has resonance it should already have adjustable Q.

The original question asked for a "synth with a variable-Q filter". If they have a synth with resonance, they already have that. The explanation: "variable width of resonance peek" is harder. I can't think of how to do that without maybe running mulitple filters in parallel with different Q's, unless what they actually want is just a steeper filter.

• Members

Originally posted by Plastic Baby

just how many synths does the talented programmer and musician need?

What is the answer for you, PB? I'll allow an answer extrapolated over time, since you seem to have had 10x the gear any of us have.

I would say that I "need" two, but that I "like" to have four simply for the sake of layering and trying combinations w/o multitracking.

Archived