Man, can you believe this sh!t??

mabus013

• Members

Yeah, the closest thing to a public shower you're likely to find is a beach shower, and while I'm on Long Island, the beaches aren't really a big deal here - the south shore is basically bay because of Fire Island, and damn if I'm trekking up to Miller Place or something just to take a shower.

Baby wipes help, if you look around there are some public restrooms that aren't scatological nightmares and that have enough privacy to scrub down. Florida was kick ass for this - there's a law that any public restroom (or just most, I guess) has to have a semi-private handicapped stall, which has it's own sink, toilet, generous space, and sometimes a baby changing table. My cousin lets me come over and sleep one night a week when my grandfather is at work, and I usually catch a good shower there. If it wasn't for my grandfather, I suppose I could be bitching about staying on my cousin's couch, but he'll just make my cousin's life so {censored}ing terrible I don't want to press the issue. Besides, contrary to what one might believe, you can actually lead a somewhat 'normal' life this way, if you know the ropes. I'm actually planning on writing a 'how to survive homelessness' guide and posting it for free on the internet, and submit it to Google and the other search engines so that other people in my situation can find it.

As for rest stops, they're nonexistant on the island - you can drive from NYC to Montauk in under three hours, so I guess there isn't much of a need.

And since you mofos can't read, I get on the internet via the public library. Just about every public library has a computer lab available free to the public, usually in one or two hour blocks.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I hope your situation improves. Maybe it's your pride, but if I had a job and was living in my car within a short drive of family (whatever that means), believe me, I'd be on my knees begging to at least park my car in their driveway or something so I could have a shower.

Who knows, maybe they'd offer more, and since you have a job, you could pay them something. {censored}, I've put up relatives of friends who are trying to get established...and asked for nothing.

People need to take care of each other.

• Members

Originally posted by lagunabeach

Look man... If you believe in God you will be FINE.

Im really sorry all that {censored} happened..but who knows why those people took your {censored}. maybe they smoke crack. MAYBE they really needed it more than you (i know that sounds {censored}ed up.. but there are {censored}ed up people out there)

ALL i want to know is this-

If you have no place to live how can you be online? internet cafe or something??

good luck and may god be with you brother.

god gets mad when you say "{censored}." you are going to hell.

I'll see you when i get there. I'll be the one wearing the bruce sprigsteen t-shirt.

• Members

Originally posted by mabus013

Yeah, the closest thing to a public shower you're likely to find is a beach shower, and while I'm on Long Island, the beaches aren't really a big deal here - the south shore is basically bay because of Fire Island, and damn if I'm trekking up to Miller Place or something just to take a shower.

Baby wipes help, if you look around there are some public restrooms that aren't scatological nightmares and that have enough privacy to scrub down. Florida was kick ass for this - there's a law that any public restroom (or just most, I guess) has to have a semi-private handicapped stall, which has it's own sink, toilet, generous space, and sometimes a baby changing table. My cousin lets me come over and sleep one night a week when my grandfather is at work, and I usually catch a good shower there. If it wasn't for my grandfather, I suppose I could be bitching about staying on my cousin's couch, but he'll just make my cousin's life so {censored}ing terrible I don't want to press the issue. Besides, contrary to what one might believe, you can actually lead a somewhat 'normal' life this way, if you know the ropes. I'm actually planning on writing a 'how to survive homelessness' guide and posting it for free on the internet, and submit it to Google and the other search engines so that other people in my situation can find it.

As for rest stops, they're nonexistant on the island - you can drive from NYC to Montauk in under three hours, so I guess there isn't much of a need.

And since you mofos can't read, I get on the internet via the public library. Just about every public library has a computer lab available free to the public, usually in one or two hour blocks.

split it, why has your family bannished you ?

• Members

As if things weren't bad enough.

I wake up this morning in my car in a local supermarket parking lot. Why? Do to circumstances I won't get into right now, I'm living out of my car until I can find a place to live.

Could you be more specific with regard to how exactly you wound up in this predicament?

• Members

Hey, been there. The thing is, you did make a choice. And because you are right to make the one you did, you will be OK.

There are reunions in your future, you will see, but right where you are right now - this is sacred ground. Learn something true about yourself and it will be worthwhile.

Being tough is not just being young, remember it is sometimes just being smart. Someday I hope you can be smart enough to remember the best of these times and to forget the rest. Keep your Art safe. My thoughts are with you, oh yes.

• Members

brother, i will join you in invoking these {censored}ers karma back on them.

ripping folks off is plain {censored}ed up, i don't give a {censored} if someone gotta jones the size of antartica monkeying on their back.

best of luck to you bro...put your faith in YOU first....do ya hyave reciepts for anything???

serial numbers???

call pawn shops, call music stores...call the cops if ya have info they can use to track your {censored}...

but have faith in yourself man, {censored} sux as right now, but there may well be a reason for {censored} happening...and you may end up with better circumstance because of it....life is funny like that bro.

so hang in there!!!!!!!!

and if you don't believe in that religion bull{censored}, don't let anyone muscle ya into any worthless ministries...it ain't gonna get your {censored} back, tho it may offer you some peace of mind.

put faith in yourself and the natural order of things, and you will come out ok.

peace

• Members

i lived in my car for awhile man, so i know how it feels. internet cafes to stay in touch with the few people i gave a {censored} about. me and my guitars and some books. the whole thing is a crucible and you will be much stronger for having lived it. i honestly can't ever remember being happier. it just felt so freeing to not be hung up on material goods, and to just play music and work enough for food and gas.

hope your muse stays with you and gets you through it, bro...

:)

-am

• Members

Originally posted by themusicdude

i lived in my car for awhile man, so i know how it feels. internet cafes to stay in touch with the few people i gave a {censored} about. me and my guitars and some books. the whole thing is a crucible and you will be much stronger for having lived it. i honestly can't ever remember being happier. it just felt so freeing to not be hung up on material goods, and to just play music and work enough for food and gas.

hope your muse stays with you and gets you through it, bro...

-am

:eek: SOMEBODY GETS IT!!!:eek:

Truth is, this is the latest in a long line of stints in cars beginning when I was twelve. Grew up dirt-assed poor (trailer parks, passed my 13th birthday living in a campground), and in case you didn't know, society isn't rigged so you just throw off being poor like some ragged blanket around your shoulders. Somehow, however, I don't mind - I've lived from that angle long enough to see the trap that material possessions have - the quote from Fight Club about your how your possessions end up owning you is very true. I've had friends who were 'successes' on the outside and if you got to really know them, they were the most miserable people I've ever met. Friend of mine was an electric engineer specializing in radio frequency, got invited to work at the Jet Propulsion Lab for NASA and was the most stressed out guy I've ever met in my life - six figure income and just hating life.

At first, going back into the car at any one point sucks, you get depressed for about a week. Then you're like, hell, I work, I eat well, hang out with my friends, smoke weed, invest in things that I couldn't otherwise - I'm thinking of spending the next few weeks getting a new motor put into my car, because the one that's in there is definately on it's way out. I figure if I saved up for three weeks, get it delivered to my cousin's house and it's an installation-is-the-reverse-of-removal type of deal. I'm still debating it, or just selling the car as is for about 400 bucks and renting a room in someone's house. That's probably going to be the short-term option anyway, because I'm trying to get this band together in the city, there's an old girlfriend in Jersey I want to look up which could go either way, and other things up in the air that makes a six-month lease somewhere out here on the island a risky proposition at the moment. There's a lot to consider, and I've found that it's stupid to put all of my eggs in one basket. And like I was trying to get at earlier, like my friend mentioned above, if you let it, it can be liberating for awhile.

Unfortunately, last night I realized that in addition to what was already mentioned, my old 72 Vox Thomas Organ (Sepulveda, CA) wah was in the duffle they took. Got my {censored}ing wah, those scum-sucking peices of {censored}. However, I'm lucky in a very, very good way: my melody maker and my box of pedals (Tri AC, Whammy RI, Classic Fuzz, Tuna Melt, Arion SCH1, DigiDelay, SynthWah, TU2 - about $630 total just in pedals (what I paid)) weren't in the car. I dropped them off at a friend's house the previous night, I had a final audition for the band on Friday so they were in my car for a day. Holy {censored}, I don't know if I'd be more homicidal or suicidal if that {censored} had gotten stolen. Silver lining, indeed - really, nothing that I absolutely needed to play in a band (except my wah, you bastards!) was taken.

I'm just one of those poor suckers who thinks he has something to say, I guess, but I suppose that's better than one of these poor suckers who know that they don't have anything to say. If it weren't for my art, I'd just get the best job I could, work, eat, {censored}, raise kids, grow old, die.

Thank God for art.

I don't really care about being poor - I see fools running around acting like they're anything at all, when I know that that car ain't paid off, those rims and stereo are on a credit card, momma's payin' their insurance, and they're {censored}ing dumb as a brick and about as informed. All they have is a handful of bull{censored} that can be taken away at any time. If that's what I'm missing out on...oh, damn.:D

There's a taoist saying about how a fool places his treasure outside of himself, whereas the sage places his treasure inside himself, where it cannot be taken.

I'm glad to see that there are some people out there that get that you can only do great things through great effort, that rewards from above only come with great sacrifices. You know, I'm not an egotistical person, so I don't really look at myself as anything special. But I always observe what's going on around me, and a lot of people happen to think that I am - in whatever way. I get good reactions from both listeners and musicians when I play my music or let them read lyrics I've written, and some of the musicians are real players who are just insanely talented. I've developed a sound and a style that gets what I think is the right attention from the right people, I know what it is to pay dues to do what I do and I have paid them unflinchingly. And, frankly, a lot of people out there have no idea what it means to do that, and they're likely saying to themselves 'what a bull{censored} artist' right now. And they're the ones who quit and just led an average life because their version of 'success' didn't just come up and sit in the their lap. If they're wondering why, you only get out what you put in. Is it any wonder that the suburban white dude trying to 'play the blues' sounds phony and canned when he has his nine-to-five office job and does his stuff on the weekends and won't ever go get in a van because he has payments on his Camry? When he just went birth-school-college-half decent job-kids like everyone else, he's shocked that he doesn't come off like John Lee Hooker? Really! Fascinating...

I have a very easy to achieve goal for my art: get band, make music, play shows, record, get our asses in a van and tour. Worse, less dedicated, and shallower artists than I have done as much. I've actually led a colorful life, even though I never had a lot of money to throw around and lived paycheck to paycheck. Now that I've been around and done and lived a little, I find my art is so much more multidimensional because I have that experience: if I had done what I wanted to do in high school, it would have sounded like Hatebreed, and while they're cool live, it gets boring when every song sounds the same, just a little faster or slower. My art has grown because I have grown, and there is no way it could be otherwise. I came to a realization early on in my adulthood - if you like who you are, then you have to give equal credit to all of the bad experiences that shaped you just as much as the good experiences did. You wouldn't be the same person without it, and I'm lucky in that I've had a lot of my questions answered about life and while I'm still learning the ropes, I'm beginning to control things instead of being a slave to chaos like I was when I was younger. Many people, whether they know it or not, should wish to be so lucky.

Like I said before, piss on pity. That can be a two-way street, pity. But thanks for the encouragement to all who offered. Sometimes those two-legged creatures can surprise you, after all.

• Members

I don't know, dude. All these alleged freedoms you speak of won't amount to much come this January when it's freezing outside and you're still sleeping in a car. Sounds to me like you're doing a lot of rationalizing when you should be getting your priorities straightened out. I'm glad you still have some musical gear to keep you occupied, but if that's all I had I would gladly trade it in for a roof over my head and a few hot meals. I really think you need to get yourself an address and then find some help.

• Members

I like a lot of what you just said, but at the same time, your obvious dislike for anyone who chooses the soulless, life-draining pointless zombie existence of (gasp) raising a family, or (for shame) persuing formal education, kind of turns me off.

You obviously have a lot on the ball, your music is probably good, at the absolute least you spell and write with more ability than many people here. I mean, Cobain (even if you hate him, he was special) was homeless for a time. But it seems like you look down on everyone who has never been homeless.

We all find inspiration in our struggles. Some of us struggle to eat, others struggle to find love, or struggle to nurture a child. Struggle with adictions, struggle to understand God, struggle to maintain a standard of living for a family, give our kids more opportunity than we had, etc. It's all the same.

I do agree that busting your ass for a big salary is pointless if the job that goes along with it makes you miserable. But there's an extremely wide spectrum in between that and abject poverty.

For instance, my car is paid off. Nothing is on my mom's credit card. I haven't accepted money from my parents since I got a job at 16, other than of course living in their house. I'm not saying anything about you, I'm just saying, from the above post it seems that if you saw me walking down the street, you'd have quite a bit of negative stuff to say about me, most of which would be untrue.

• Members

I don't really want to get into it, and I'm only posting this one thing and then I'm off...

But it bothers me a little bit that there are a lot of folks in this thread posting from their offices and homes in nice clothes with fancy skin products on, telling this guy how he should be living.

I had to couch surf for about two months a few years back because I couldn't afford a place yet, and while it was happening I was working an office job and going to grad school. It wasn't easy. I don't want to do it again. It was nothing at all like what mabus' experience is like right now, and I don't pretend to know what it's like. But we've all been in situations where problems didn't have ten-minute solutions, and it sounds like this guy has his agenda pretty clearly and solidly set, which is more than I can say for myself in the comfort of this house right now.

• Members

I don't have a problem with how anyone chooses to live, though I always thought the term 'willfully homeless' was something Ronald Reagan made up to justify his economics. I'm just saying, having a job and a degree and a car does not necessarily destroy the soul.

Obviously Mabus is not the guy you imagine when someone says 'homeless'. He's not the filthy ingrate on the corner with a bag of glue in one hand and a styrofoam cup in the other begging for nickles. If he's happy, I say fine. I do hope he finds warm shelter before winter though, especially if he lives farther north than Atlanta or so.

• Members

Originally posted by ginnboonmiller

But it bothers me a little bit that there are a lot of folks in this thread posting from their offices and homes in nice clothes with fancy skin products on, telling this guy how he should be living.

Like JCN, I'm kind of down on this guy because he's judging people just because they pursue goals that differ from his. Just because someone goes to college, gets a job, wife, kids, etc. doesn't automatically mean that they've sold out to the man and that they're living a lie.

I feel badly for this guy because not only is he in a {censored}ty situation, but he's trying to rationalize it. It's great to live according to your ideals, but eventually reality is going to smack you in the face like a cold winter chill.

It's great that he's got his guitars and his songs, but it's also kind of stupid that he's put that ahead of getting a place to live. As much as I live for music, I'd toss it away in a second if it meant putting a roof over my head and getting something to eat.

• Members

bro, all i can say is hang in there, good things will happen to ya....you're a good hearted humble dude, i can FEEL it reading your words...i've done more than a few stints living in cars, on the streets, crashing with friends when i was lucky enough to...

i know what freezing is like in the winter, and scrapin' for a bite to eat...but i tell you this man, you will see, things always start to look up eventually.

is there any kind of shelters in your area that'll take you in??

i know it ain't rocknroll to live like that, but there's help out there bro if ya look for it.

may the good mother bless you copiously man....

keep the faith, do NOT give up.

live your life to the fullest, and focus on getting your life where you want it to be.

don't listen to me, or anyone but yourself...

ya gotta good heart man, you'll find the path you need.

{censored} will get better...a wise man said {censored} flows downhill...and once ya have hit bottom (or a bottom) ya can start to climb again....and that {censored} gets farther and farther behind you.

rock on.

• Members

The only reason I really have to say it can be 'liberating' is that at least I don't have to worry about some asshole knocking on my door at the end of the month and wanting 600 bucks for a small room or get-the-{censored}-out. Even when I have a job that covers that easily, it's just a stressor that I don't particularly enjoy. However, being in the car has it's own stresses. I'm not particularly advocating homelessness per se, I'm more reacting to those who are 'my GOD!' about it. Read Orwell's "Down and Out in Paris and London" for a better description, I suppose.

Oh, and "willfully homeless" is still a Reagan-era bull{censored} screen. I'm just saying that if that's what it's going to take to do what I have to do, fine. No problem. It's not as though I'm adverse to living with a roof over my head! One that doesn't have wheels, at least. Deals are just hard to come by, and it's hard to justify paying an extra 200 a month for the same amount of space that would be available somewhere else.

Another thing is that it's hard to save when you're living paycheck to paycheck and you need {censored} - you'd be surprised how old some of my clothes are now, now that I've been robbed I need to buy a backpack, toothbrush, toothpaste, Schick Quattro (not cheap, but the blades last a long time and they don't {censored} your skin up if you have to shave with cold water, as I sometimes do), floss, peroxide, shampoo...that's 50-60 bucks right there. 10 bucks a day for food, at least. The occasional bag of weed (if you think that ain't necessary, try putting a price on your mental well-being. I've watched mother{censored}ers go crazy from being homeless - watched them as it happened, week by week.). Need a cell phone because if I want to pursue a second job, date anyone, keep in contact with my friends, be able to have a number for a landlord to call back to when I do want to rent a place, be available for my boss to get ahold of me if he needs someone to cover a shift (overtime), etc. This {censored} costs money, and sorry, daddy ain't coughing up. That's just now. When my car was scaring the hell out of me I dropped a couple hundred fixing it so I could keep working. The thing is that money breeds money, but the opposite is true as well.

I've seen people talk about poor people when they've never gone through that {censored} in their entire lives and it pisses me off, frankly. Talking {censored} about families on welfare - have you ever been in the welfare system? I have - not as an adult, ever, but as a child. Because of the rich cracking down on how the taxes they don't pay are being spent, you have to do proverbial backflips through flaming razor wire hoops to get a completely inadequate amount of money to live on, and that's if you have a family with kids. If you're single, go {censored} yourself. My dad had seven back surgeries starting at the age of 17 years old when he slipped his first disc doing masonry work. It took him years to get SSI with an almost twenty years of documented medical history for a legitimate medical disability, and then they give him money to feed and shelter him and his two kids - completely below the necessary amount for even a small apartment. You can't work though - they'll take that money away, and then you're in the same predicament you were in before, only now they'll take your ass to court and make you pay that money back! When he died (from years of doctors carving him up finer and finer, making his condition worse and worse and taking ever-escalating amounts of painkillers because the tolerance on opiates never goes down), at the age of 46, the Department of Social Services sent collection letters first to my grandfather, then to me, demanding 3000 dollars that my dad supposedly owed the state. They got a letter telling them to go {censored} themselves - I hadn't even gotten the ashes back from the funeral parlor when I received that letter. Such is the state.

I'm giving fair warning to any smart ass that wants to mouth off on this issue in public, talking about 'lazy people leaching off of the working class' - doing so can get your ass kicked by some random person with very little to lose, and I'm not even talking about me. Tell me what working class is - a desk jockey in a cubicle, or people who work in a {censored}ing meat packing plant because it's better than starvation? Ever seen the inside of one of those places? Ever dug ditches in the unrelenting Florida sun for 8 bucks an hour and had people tell you have a 'good job'?

It kind of reminds me of how drug legislation is passed by people who have (supposedly) never done those drugs and never experienced the effects themselves! So, if you've never experienced it, been there, smelt it, tasted it, tell me how the {censored} you know what it's like. You don't, and even if you went 'slumming', you won't, because there's always that out - you can always go back and stop pretending. Somehow, you think it's the same for everyone - "if they'd only stop pretending that they're poor..."

• Members

I'd like to say thanks again for those who are at least attempting to understand what I have to say. No matter what class you were born into or find yourself today, you had cards dealt and you act accordingly. There's no evil, per se, in being rich, having a kick ass job, nice house, cars, etc. But try being poor for a little while and see how most of these people - some who are otherwise nice people and sometimes don't even realize how they act towards certain people - just {censored} on anyone who isn't as wealthy as they are. Try even acting poor - get some crappy clothes from a thrift store, get 'm dirty in the back yard and go walk around some town with a cup and see how you get treated on a Saturday.

There are still people right now who are just making themselves feel better at my expense, right now, right here. Won't name names, but ask yourself if it's better to eke out a meagre existance, barely surviving, just inching further and further towards ineffective nothingness, until that razor and that wrist-flesh seem destined for one another. I never asked anyone to feel sorry for me, because I really don't. I really feel blessed in a lot of ways, and if you can't understand that, then fine. You don't have to. Just don't {censored} on that 'peice of trash' that rubs your aesthetics the wrong way, 'cause I've known some of those people, and they might be better people than you are. Just might be, but you'd never be able to tell by their credit report. Worship the cult of money if you wish, many men worship many things and it doesn't always - or even often - make them better people than they were beforehand, much less better than the next guy. Something to think about.

I guess that's all I want to do, really, is just maybe make someone go, 'hey...', not even telling them what to think, or even wanting to, just getting them to think about something, anything. Just think.

Tyler Durden: [to the police chief] "Hi. You're going to call off your rigorous investigation. You're going to publically state that there is no underground group. Or... these guys are going to take your balls. And send one to the New York Times, one to the LA Times press release staff. Look, the people you are after are the people you depend on. We cook your meals, we drive your ambulances. We connect your calls, we guard you while you sleep. Do not... {censored} with us. "

• Members

Originally posted by mnslim

I swear God once told me to buy more ramen noodles.

That line just made my day :D.

Thanks.

I often think that Bill Hicks is my guru...if you've ever read Be Here Now, it says that your guru isn't necessarily some old man on the mountain that you must journey to. It may be someone living or dead, your guru is just who expedites your spiritual progress. "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear." And ol' Bill was so dead-on in so many instances, and just makes me laugh my ass off. "I feel like the sheepherder, ranting under the stars with my flock...."

Someone just posted the quote in my sig on another thread, and it's one of those things that just says it so succinctly, it could have just as easily come out of the Tao Te Ching as the Bible. I think I'll leave it there for awhile, go get out of this computer lab and get some fresh air. My cousin lent me some weed and some money for food and gas, may as well put it to some good use. I'm hanging out at my cousin's house tonight, going to go get my copy of Waking Life from my friend's place and have him and his girlfriend watch it with me. Very cool animated flick, and it was like 8 bucks at Border's on DVD. Well worth checking out for the spiritually inclined and socially pissed off.

• Members

Read Orwell's "Down and Out in Paris and London" for a better description, I suppose.

Fantastic book.

Though I'm pretty sure one of the first things Orwell did in that book was sell his typewriter.

Not that you should sell your proverbial typewriter, it's your stuff, do what you want with it. I'm just saying... good book.

Whatever you do, don't trust any Russian bastards who tell you they can get you a great job at a new restaurant or hotel.

• Members

i doubt half the people posting here could manage living like you are, i doubt i could, so good luck to you in the way you choose to live, be that getting a band together and making enough to get by on or anything else you choose

it is probably pretty hollow to you, i am one of the rich kids you spoke about and have parents that give me a roof over my head and food on the table, but i could not imagine how i would fare as you do

what you are saying about welfare though, i know in the uk there is a bit of a backlash, when there have been publicised cases of people managing to get enough money via welfare and benefits to live a cnofortable life, without lifting a finger to work, what they dont publisise are the honest people, who are trying to scrape by and could do with the help to get themselves back on their feet properly yet get virtually nothing

for now, have you reported the gear stolen to the police? i dont know how your circumstances would affect it though

David

Archived