All About POD

fuzzball

• Members

You may consider looking into a used amp, as long as it has a effects loop or a pre amp in you should be well off. My Peavey Bandit is not a tube amp (it is a transtube system) but it sounds great with the POD.

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hi all

I got 2 questions:

1. I have the XT Live with the CC model pack installed. Everything is up to date SW and Firmware wise. I use the Pod set to studio direct and go straight into the PA. I use with a Musicman Luke guitar (Active PU's). I also set up all my sounds and practive with the same set up.

I seem to have a problem with patches changing without me actually adjusting them. The latest particular incident affected 4 patches where I lost all drive - everything went quiet as if the Amp model was bypassed - although the Pod said it was on? powering down did not change things. This was frustrating as it happened during the sound check at a gig - one minute my clean and slightly overdriven patches were fine, I made a tweak to one of my distortion patches and saved it , then when I went back to the cleans they had changed. Meant I fought with the XT for the whole Gig adjusting on the fly and still couldn't get the cleans to work properly - Not fun.

I also had the same problem whilst using my US strat. I set up all the sounds before a Gig - diuring the sound check all the levels were way out in relation to each other - in this case all the cleans were way too loud and all the distorted sounds were quiet. I know sound charachteristics change in differen tlocations and depending on the volume you play at (Manson curves explain this), but a massive change in relative volumes between clean and dirty patches should not be affected by this.

I never had this problem with My GT6

Is this a SW fault or am I making changes to global parameters (if there are any) without realizing>?

Questions 2 - Based on the issues above is there a way to print out the patch settings for each p[atch? At least then if it happens again I can quickly re-set them (I use about 20 patches)

thanks all

Sparky

• Members

Originally posted by SparkyG

Hi all

I got 2 questions:

1. I have the XT Live with the CC model pack installed. Everything is up to date SW and Firmware wise. I use the Pod set to studio direct and go straight into the PA. I use with a Musicman Luke guitar (Active PU's). I also set up all my sounds and practive with the same set up.

I seem to have a problem with patches changing without me actually adjusting them. The latest particular incident affected 4 patches where I lost all drive - everything went quiet as if the Amp model was bypassed - although the Pod said it was on? powering down did not change things. This was frustrating as it happened during the sound check at a gig - one minute my clean and slightly overdriven patches were fine, I made a tweak to one of my distortion patches and saved it , then when I went back to the cleans they had changed. Meant I fought with the XT for the whole Gig adjusting on the fly and still couldn't get the cleans to work properly - Not fun.

I also had the same problem whilst using my US strat. I set up all the sounds before a Gig - diuring the sound check all the levels were way out in relation to each other - in this case all the cleans were way too loud and all the distorted sounds were quiet. I know sound charachteristics change in differen tlocations and depending on the volume you play at (Manson curves explain this), but a massive change in relative volumes between clean and dirty patches should not be affected by this.

I never had this problem with My GT6

Is this a SW fault or am I making changes to global parameters (if there are any) without realizing>?

Questions 2 - Based on the issues above is there a way to print out the patch settings for each p[atch? At least then if it happens again I can quickly re-set them (I use about 20 patches)

thanks all

Sparky

Make sure it's not on manual mode/you don't bump the knobs. If you do so the patch will change to what the Amp Tone Control knob says it is.. and if the drive is at zero manually, you patch will be like that.

• Members

I agree with the PODXT coming alive when it is plugged into the return input of the efx loop.

I run mine PRS >PODXT Live>Return inputMesa Single Rectifer, bypasses the Mesa Preamp. Taking it off Studio Direct and runing Power Amp output. :thu:

• Members

DL you mentioned Manual Mode and bumping the knobs

surely even if i bump the knobs unless I press the save button it will revert to the last "Saved" settings for a patch? Or is this not the case?

cheers

quote:
Make sure it's not on manual mode/you don't bump the knobs. If you do so the patch will change to what the Amp Tone Control knob says it is.. and if the drive is at zero manually, you patch will be like that.

• Members

I don't have the live model, but what was mentioned sounds like the answer, don't leave it on manual mode. I recomend connecting you PODXT live to the computer and saving a copy of the patches onto your computer or storing them on a disc.

• Members

Not really a new question or idea, but I haven't posted on here since I got my PODxt Live. I must say I like it very much. Heh, when I've been messing around, I've even got my squier strat to sound nice. The wah is pretty much awesome. The tweakablility on the computer is very convenient. Gigging is great. No hassle whatsoever. Recording is also a very important feature for me and that's pretty good. Ok so maybe I do have an idea, cept I only just thought of it. They need to be able to link the drive knob on the amp to your expression pedal so you could like build up from relatively clean to really distorted. Also you'd be able to select the range of the drive knob, so you wouldn't have to have it go all the way up if you didn't want it to. There. There's my idea.

• Members

That would be a nice touch, I am currently working on fixing up a 4X12 cab and repairing a old 70's Peavey series 260 head, I want to try running the POD through it when I am done, I hear that the amp cranks. The clean is supposedly nice but the distortion channel is lame (that is what I hear anyway). I have see where a person wrote that they used the amp at DTE (used to be pine knob) and only had the amp on 5, now that is some serious power! I cant wait to fix it and crank it with some pod tones.

• Members

So I did it! I bought and XT Live! It sounds {censored}ing awesome through my headphones, everything I didn't think it would be.

BUT I have been playing with it for less than 2 hours and the footswitch is squeaking horribly! This is a common problem no? What is the solution? Oil? Does line 6 acknowledge this issue? Do they have a recommended fix for it besides squirting oil into a 500$ floor board? Has anyone else who came across this been able to remedy it?

• Members

hi guys, I'm selling a guitar and my pedals and i'm gonna get myself a POD XT live, I just can't wait, heard so many good things about it, I'll post back when I have it in my hands, anybody wants a crappy..oops I mean fantastic Digitech RP-200A;) . Can't wait to get rid of that one.

• Members

Welcome to the happy POD thread!

I do not have the POD XT live but I do have the POD XT so I will help with any quesitons I can. DOn't get discouraged if you are unhappy with the sounds the system comes with, take some time and tweek them, you may even find different settings for the output will work best for example I use the standard recording output through my pre amp input of my amp and that works the best for me so far. Don't be afraid to try new things. Expect to love the unit and spend several hours tweeking untill you are so satisfied that you pee yourself.

Please share any questions, cool patches and POD experiences.

As you see I am working on a old 70's Peavey head to try with the POD later I can't wait It will be 260 watts of POD pumping power through a 4X12 cab!

• Members

I recently bought an XT Live and it seems to have a lot of potential for recording and practicing but I just can't seem to get it to work with my combo.

I'm using an ENGL Thunder 50 combo but the damn pod is creating so much buzzing I can't use it. Most of the patches that come with it create a really loud buzzing sound that comes through even with the noise gate engaged. I've tried using it both in the loop (I think) and in the standard input. Just so I'm clear, what exactly do I have to do to use it in the effects loop?

Does anyone have any idea why it could be creating so much buzzing?

Oh, and the expression pedal has started to sqeaks horribly. Any ideas how to fix that?

• Members

Well you need to lube the pedal first. You may want to check the line 6 site for a recomended lubercant (this is a common problem).

As for the noise there is several things, first what is your POD set on for output-Direct,combo....? You may want to try each one and see if one works better. I actualy use mine on direct through a pre amp in. Now if you don't have a pre amp in try the effect loop I think you are doing it right or else you would not have any sound. If that is noisy you may need to get a unit such as a rocktron hush and put it in the effect loop and plug the pod in to the guitar input. I have heard that it will help cut down the noise and retain your signal. I have to get one and test it myself because my PODxt is noisy as heck through the guitar input and effects loop also. Fortunatly the pre amp in works perfect, but it may not for my amp head that I am going to test it with soon.

Keep us updated and feel free to ask anything.

• Members

I just want to say... I have been reading so many forums lately from Engl, Bogner, VHT, Splawn, Dual Rec, users ..... they would never do like us and stoop to the level of using a POD.

I feel kinda relieved that not everybody hates PODs.

I have a POD 2.3, POD PRO, and a POD XT PRO.

I use my POD PRO direct into the P.A. at my gigs and I get a very good sound.

For my main rock tone... I use the Brit Hi Gain model and I use one of the 4 x 12 cabinet models ( I can't remember exactly which one, but I like it better than ALL of the other cabinet models on there).

For my clean tone.. I use the tube pre-amp setting with a little compression. And it is CLEAN!! It really sounds great for country chicken picken type stuff.

I didn't like the XT PRO for live use cause it's so much more complicated. But for recording at home I love it!!

I especially like to use the Line 6 Edit software to tweak it on my computer. That is cool!!! I wish they had had this type of stuff around when I was a kid.

• Members

I think it is because of the price, if you notice many people think that unless it cost a grand it is junk. Sure the pod does not sound the same as a dual rectofier, but lets be honest it can sound very good. I am very happy with the unit and I will give it my support. For the cost you really cant beat a POD.

• Members

Oh, my, word.... I talked to this guy and he has told me how to get the best sound out of my POD. This sounds so good. Ok, so I have a Marshall avt150 (yeah, yeah, all you tube fanatics out there. I'm a disgrace using a hybrid amp... w/e...). It has an effects loop. What happens if you plug something straight into the return of the effects loop? no preamp! just power amp stage. So imagine using the PODxt as your preamp (since it can be used for this) and plugging it straight into the return jack of the FX loop. Also, depending on your speaker setup in your amp, you may consider setting the POD on "no cabinet" mode. My speaker already is kinda heavy on the low end, so emulating low end speakers gets kinda muddy. So basically, I've got the amp to sound better than it ever has by itself. Definitely worth a try for any of you out there with similar setup capabilities.

• Members

Line6 released a new firmware update to the PodXT series this morning. Something like 6 new amp models, 4 more stompboxes, and 7 new wah models.

Anybody had a chance to play around with it yet? I'm stuck at work and won't get around to updating till later tonight.

• Members

Originally posted by Nightmare503

Line6 released a new firmware update to the PodXT series this morning. Something like 6 new amp models, 4 more stompboxes, and 7 new wah models.

Anybody had a chance to play around with it yet? I'm stuck at work and won't get around to updating till later tonight.

What?!!?!?!?!

Im on it....

Archived