skreddy pedals

Guest Anonymous

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by trucks

Wow! Marc, I am correct in describing the Ernie as ram's head type BM with some triangle mixed in influenced by Ernie Isley's Big Muff tone?

How does the ? Lady compare to the Mayo?

I'll really have to get some clips posted.

Um... okay, the Mayo's more of a balanced tone, equally good for both leads and rhythm. Lots of aggressive fuzz and still fairly articulate and also creamy at the same time. But the "? Lady" is more crazy, like on the edge of out-of-control, without ever actually going over the edge. It really, really shines best at leads, with a biting articulation and liquid, singing effect at the same time. It's not as smooth as the original Ernie; it's grittier and has more cut. It's really an homage to vintage fuzz box tones more than a copy of any particular artist or album's vibe. But "? Lady" is just such an irresistable name.

Yes; it's based on the ram's head Big Muff model. Whereas the Ernie was based more on the model that used 2N5087 pnp transistors, the "? Lady" is based on an earlier ram's head that used the same transistors found in the triangle-knob Big Muffs.

Yeah; I need to re-do my Mayo clips and make one or two "? Lady" clips. That would be good.

• Members
Originally posted by skr3ddy

Coming soon: Ernie reissue made with Mayo transistors, with more grit and more cut than the original Ernie. I'll set up a shopping cart in the next day or so. Thanks to ElectGumbo for the name!

Lady.jpg

You will be hearing from me very soon :love:

• Members

Well I just got an email today and my sapphire blue Skreddy Screwdriver is finally done and on it's way tomorrow. This is my first Skreddy pedal so after all you peckerwoods wouldn't shut up about it - I got on the list for one of these.

This leaves only 4 more pedals that are still out there in la la land and then my orders are (finally) completed. I ordered both Timmys back when there was about a 6 week wait, and I am still awaiting my custom shop Pedalworx pedals (I ordered two) of the tribute pedal for my Brother - called appropriately enough: Blues for Bobbie. :cool:

• Members

How many muff clones does one man need to offer?

:rolleyes:

I must admit, you seem to be stretching out one pedal and forming nearly a whole product line. Wish I had the foresight to tweak cap values, diode and transistor types and call it something different.

Takes some marketing genius.

:evil:
:p

I am sure there is alot more to it. Its not easy to make pedals to a consistent high standard.

Is the screwdriver a toobscreamer clone?

• Members

The different branches of the Big Muff Pi clone theme in Skreddy Pedals are mainly side effects of using NOS parts and running out of them and having to retire products and start all over with something else. I don't make a product with different parts, causing it to sound completely different, and fail to inform my customers of the change. It's not purely marketing; it's honesty. Although any successful businessman can tell you that marketing is everything and everything is marketing.

The various Skreddy BMP iterations have taken on lives of their own. Every once in a while, I think I might have come up with something that would kill everything else as a general-purpose fuzz, but invariably there is a continuing demand for specializations and idiosyncrasies. And as long as people keep telling me they want a Zero or a Mayonaise or an Ernie, I'll keep trying to find ways to make them happy.

The Screw Driver is no relation to the T.S. It's made with discreet transistors and is not a clone of any existing circuit, although it does use familiar building blocks. It bears some faint family resemblance to the Univox Unidrive. It started as a marriage of a Range Master and a FuzzFace, but hyper-evolved and tweaked and modded 'till it coincidentally can produce some TubeScreamer-like tones (and a lot of cooler stuff that the TubeScreamer wished it could do).

• Members
Originally posted by skr3ddy

The different branches of the Big Muff Pi clone theme in Skreddy Pedals are mainly side effects of using NOS parts and running out of them and having to retire products and start all over with something else. I don't make a product with different parts, causing it to sound completely different, and fail to inform my customers of the change. It's not purely marketing; it's honesty. Although any successful businessman can tell you that marketing is everything and everything is marketing.

The various Skreddy BMP iterations have taken on lives of their own. Every once in a while, I think I might have come up with something that would kill everything else as a general-purpose fuzz, but invariably there is a continuing demand for specializations and idiosyncrasies. And as long as people keep telling me they want a Zero or a Mayonaise or an Ernie, I'll keep trying to find ways to make them happy.

The Screw Driver is no relation to the T.S. It's made with discreet transistors and is not a clone of any existing circuit, although it does use familiar building blocks. It bears some faint family resemblance to the Univox Unidrive. It started as a marriage of a Range Master and a FuzzFace, but hyper-evolved and tweaked and modded 'till it coincidentally can produce some TubeScreamer-like tones (and a lot of cooler stuff that the TubeScreamer wished it could do).

A gracious post as always.

I know the woes of maintaining a source/stock of NOS components.
Although NOS is a marketing term in itself when it comes to audio electronics. It also serves another function for your business, it makes people more prone to buying now as opposed to later, they never know when the product will be stopped.

I still find it astounding you have managed to make almost a whole product line out of basically one design.

I see people discussing having bought skreddy #1 and skreddy #2 waiting for skreddy #3 when essentially, they are the same circuit.
:freak:

Demand characteristics maybe.

I am a bit sick of the same old clones being repackaged. But, atleast its not a tubescreamer.

• Members

Originally posted by hempathy

I must admit, you seem to be stretching out one pedal and forming nearly a whole product line. Wish I had the foresight to tweak cap values, diode and transistor types and call it something different.

Takes some marketing genius.

Kinda presumptuous to say, don't ya think?

The stupid thing is, when you're working on a pedal, and you got a nice tone, some different parts may ALSO give a nice tone, in the same basic circuit. And since they all sound cool in their own way, there's something telling you 'make them all, to please everyone'. But something else then tells me 'argh, stick with 1 pedal, maybe socket a few parts and add a little ziploc bag with a cap or 2 and some different transistors'. That way people can screw around with the tone themselves.

But there's a builder here that's far more guilty of making like 10 different pedals from the same basic idea, than Skreddy.

• Members

A gracious post as always.

I know the woes of maintaining a source/stock of NOS components.

Although NOS is a marketing term in itself when it comes to audio electronics. It also serves another function for your business, it makes people more prone to buying now as opposed to later, they never know when the product will be stopped.

I still find it astounding you have managed to make almost a whole product line out of basically one design.

I see people discussing having bought skreddy #1 and skreddy #2 waiting for skreddy #3 when essentially, they are the same circuit.

Demand characteristics maybe.

I am a bit sick of the same old clones being repackaged. But, atleast its not a tubescreamer.

suck my ass troll !

• Members
Originally posted by derek_32999

YESSIREE, your sig says it all. Modified this, modified that....

{censored}ing repackaged clones, I hate them!!!!!!

:wave:

I said "I am a bit sick of the same old clones being repackaged. But, atleast its not a tubescreamer."

Case and point, Ross compressor, Big muff, Tubescreamer, Fuzz face, Rangemaster, any single BJT booster.

I wouldnt sell any incarnation of the above effects.

Most of the pedals in my sig I dont sell.

I am currently working on bringing the polyphase and Clone theory to market, but no one else offers these. There isnt even a reissue. Plus, the clone theory will be barely recognisable, it has the vintage polychorus LFO Rate, tune and width, with added depth, Mix and delay controls. A Wobble on/off switch. Plus its stereo. It is the ultimate analog chorus imo. Also, I release layouts of my pedals for people to build. I have nothing to hide. There is no secret NOS mojo BS. Just good component choice for the best tone.

The money shot boost is an original design.

I dont know anyone who currently offers a DM-2 clone. Way huge might when Jeorge starts back up again. I certainly wont. I built the DM-2 on vero.

My big muff is modified to the hilt, own tone stack, switchable diodes between LED's, germ and 1N4148. Positive feedback loop, blend control. The only thing that makes it resemble a muff is the muff gain stages. It isnt just swapping out a few caps and transistors. Although I did experiment with alot of transistors before settling on 2N5088.

Sorry, but the pedals in my sig arent the same old repackaged clones. Infact, I would say that I am probably the only guitarist in the world right now with some of these exact circuits.

• Members
Originally posted by Speeddemon

Kinda presumptuous to say, don't ya think?

The stupid thing is, when you're working on a pedal, and you got a nice tone, some different parts may ALSO give a nice tone, in the same basic circuit. And since they all sound cool in their own way, there's something telling you 'make them all, to please everyone'. But something else then tells me 'argh, stick with 1 pedal, maybe socket a few parts and add a little ziploc bag with a cap or 2 and some different transistors'. That way people can screw around with the tone themselves.

But there's a builder here that's far more guilty of making like 10 different pedals from the same basic idea, than Skreddy.

There are far worse builders than skreddy I agree.

but NOS transistors does not a new pedal make. Its like arguing about whether a NOS 4558 sounds better than a current production 4558.

Skreddy is a stand up guy. This wasnt meant as a flame, I just used skreddy as an example to vent about the number of clones of the same pedal in the boutique market, albeit without overt personal attack. Also the number of people who own essentially 6 copies of the same pedal and talk about the huge tonal differences. Get an EQ pedal for gods sake.

• Members

Cool, I just agreed with pretty much everything you said. :)

Actually, I think Dreamtonefx.com is working on a polyphase or clone theory right now and has a big muff with a blend circuit, and knowing seth he probably has some clipping options in there. Seth, is that you??? LOL

Anyways, good luck with your business.
I would love to hear some clips of them pedals.

• Members

There are far worse builders than skreddy I agree.

but NOS transistors does not a new pedal make. Its like arguing about whether a NOS 4558 sounds better than a current production 4558.

Skreddy is a stand up guy. This wasnt meant as a flame, I just used skreddy as an example to vent about the number of clones of the same pedal in the boutique market, albeit without overt personal attack. Also the number of people who own essentially 6 copies of the same pedal and talk about the huge tonal differences. Get an EQ pedal for gods sake.

skreddy rules and you suck {censored}ing {censored}whore

• Members
Originally posted by murch33

Skreddy's one of my top 3 favorite builders. Do I sense a little jealousy?

I think he is a stand up guy.

He obviously sticks by his customers and his reputation is good for a reason.

I have no reason to be jealous of him.

:)

• Members

For what it is worth, I have NEVER been a fan of the Big Muff pedal in any form or model. Not that I tried a lot of them but the ones I did never did much for me. I have only owned (and still own) a black Russian model that I got for like $50 or whatever they sell for. I never liked the damn thing. But I still have it in storage.

Move forward to seeing discussions of Skreddy pedals. I see that he is going to be offering a pedal that is inspired by David Gilmour. So I sign up for it. I get it when it is done and it blows me away. Is it a clone of some form of the Big Muff? I could care less. It sounds great and unlike any other pedal I own. So now I am intrigured by Skreddy's other offerings. So over the next few months, I sign up for an Ernie. Again, sounds great. Unlike anything I own. Is it a clone of the Big Muff? I could care less once again. Same thing with the Mayo. Sounds great. Big Muff clone? Who cares. None of them sound like that black Russian Big Muff I own (thank God). All very different sounding pedals from one another and none of them cover any territory by pedals I already have. They each serve their own purpose and I am happy that I bought each one of them.

Then there is the Screw Driver. An OD that is very different from any other OD I own or have tried. Ingenius tone controls on this thing.

All in all, call them clones of the Big Muff, call them what you want. No one is forcing you to buy them. And it is not like Skreddy spams this place either. It is the people who actually buy them that do all the raving and suggest them to others. Marc is nothing but a pleasure to deal with and he goes the extra mile for you. And his pedals please more than a few people. Myself included.

• Members

Originally posted by Arjae

For what it is worth, I have NEVER been a fan of the Big Muff pedal in any form or model. Not that I tried a lot of them but the ones I did never did much for me. I have only owned (and still own) a black Russian model that I got for like $50 or whatever they sell for. I never liked the damn thing. But I still have it in storage.

Move forward to seeing discussions of Skreddy pedals. I see that he is going to be offering a pedal that is inspired by David Gilmour. So I sign up for it. I get it when it is done and it blows me away. Is it a clone of some form of the Big Muff? I could care less. It sounds great and unlike any other pedal I own. So now I am intrigured by Skreddy's other offerings. So over the next few months, I sign up for an Ernie. Again, sounds great. Unlike anything I own. Is it a clone of the Big Muff? I could care less once again. Same thing with the Mayo. Sounds great. Big Muff clone? Who cares. None of them sound like that black Russian Big Muff I own (thank God). All very different sounding pedals from one another and none of them cover any territory by pedals I already have. They each serve their own purpose and I am happy that I bought each one of them.

Then there is the Screw Driver. An OD that is very different from any other OD I own or have tried. Ingenius tone controls on this thing.

All in all, call them clones of the Big Muff, call them what you want. No one is forcing you to buy them. And it is not like Skreddy spams this place either. It is the people who actually buy them that do all the raving and suggest them to others. Marc is nothing but a pleasure to deal with and he goes the extra mile for you. And his pedals please more than a few people. Myself included.

+1

Archived