skreddy pedals

Guest Anonymous

• Members
Originally posted by murch33

It just seems like you're taking shots at him while patting him on the back.

There is nothing wrong with some friendly criticism.

I am not trying to character assassinate the guy or anything.

I am just commenting on the number of muffs under different names he has sold. Plus saying there are far too many muff clones out there.

Can't I get away with some comments without the spanish inquisition?

Am I entitled to my opinion?

I am not attacking him.

He took the original post in the spirit it was intended.

Can everyone else?

The man is more than capable of responding himself.

:freak:

:rolleyes:

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by hempathy

There are far worse builders than skreddy I agree.

but NOS transistors does not a new pedal make. Its like arguing about whether a NOS 4558 sounds better than a current production 4558.

:rolleyes:

Usually I don't care much about NOS-this and NOS-that, unless I'm TOTALLY recreating a circuit.

AFAIK, I'm the only one currently offering a FA-1 clone with the EXACT parts (not just the correct values) and that's where NOS sometimes does matter.

But yeah, whoever says that he can hear an audible and measurable difference between a NOS JRC4558D and a reissued one, is probably lying or trying to justify the insane amount of money he/she spent OR asks for a TS9 clone.

I don't plan on making a TS9 clone ever too (aside from a custom job, when it's like 2 effects in 1 enclosure). After hearing the Marshall Bluesbreaker samples on Tonefrenzy.com, I'm far more interested in building a couple of those.

• Members

I think Skreddy has a good thing going here...

I mean, people don't quite like the sound of the USA reissue, and they don't want to use a vintage pedal on a gig.

So they get one of Skreddy's pedals, which are based on vintage pedals, but have certain tweaks to give them sounds people have always wanted out of a pedal.

I guess some people would prefer to see builders' time spent elsewhere...but it's not really fair to come down on Skreddy for making pedals he (and others) like.

I'd like to see some of the original designs that are being put out by people who complain that all they see are tweaked clones...

:wave:

• Members
Originally posted by MrSage

I'd like to see some of the original designs that are being put out by people who complain that all they see are tweaked clones...

AMEN!

Besides, the reason that clones exist, is because they offer something, that the original apparently doesn't.
-better durability
-better quality
-better availability
-improved tone (then it's not a 100% clone anymore)
-other improvements, like 9V DC centre negative or true bypass.

if one were to make an EXACT clone of a TS9, that's in no way better than the Ibanez pedal, costs as much (or even more), then nobody will buy that clone.

• Members

Originally posted by derek_32999

Do you know how much people will pay for a pedal if you just add TB and market it right!!! LOL Goop the hell outta the circuit and some people will swear it is the best overdrive ever, never knowing it is just a TS-9 with true bypass.

I know some builders must do this, but it will catch you in the end.

There's only 2 reasons to goop your circuit:

1) you've built something totally stellar and original, and you don't want anyone being able to copy/clone it easily.

2) you've built a total rip-off of something existing, and don't want people to know that.

• Members

How does the Zero compare to the Mayo?

I have a Zero, and it's pure LOVE, but I can't decide if I also 'need' a mayo. :D

But yeah, Skreddy is definitely in my top 3 builders, he's a great dude who is honest and friendly. Plus the pedals are wicked. What more could you ask for? :)

• Members
Originally posted by Klisk

Well, here's how Skreddy answered me when I asked him the same question:

"It's got less gain, bite, and "directness" but more flavor, mojo, gritty/graininess. The new Mayo's like BBQ sauce with chipotle and molasses, compared to the Zero's Tabasco intensity. The new Mayo's tone harkens more faithfully back to the 1st-edition triangle-knob BMP than any version I've heard other than the old Mayonaise."

It kicks ass, I'll tell you that. :cool:
I haven'd tried the Zero I'm afraid. :cry:

• Members

I'll find out in a few weeks, but I can say that the Zero is very high gain. If you crank the sustain and raise the tone way up, it gets this amazing face-ripping distortion. Dial it back a bit and it fuzzes up more, but that's not how I use it. That's what the Mayo will be for.

• Members
Originally posted by MrSage

I think Skreddy has a good thing going here...

I mean, people don't quite like the sound of the USA reissue, and they don't want to use a vintage pedal on a gig.

So they get one of Skreddy's pedals, which are based on vintage pedals, but have certain tweaks to give them sounds people have always wanted out of a pedal.

I guess some people would prefer to see builders' time spent elsewhere...but it's not really fair to come down on Skreddy for making pedals he (and others) like.

http://www.guru-electronics.co.uk

Very soon. Original designs mixed in with tweaked clones of otherwise unavailable pedals.

I am pretty sure you must have seen my DIY projects on toppiccione. Plus other schematics released on the diy forum.

I am not complaining about cloning. I am complaining about constantly seeing the same pedals cloned. With the number of builders basically selling clones, I guess I am just saying they should release pedals that arent so readily available. I think it would be better for the industry and musicians in general.

I am in no way victimising Skreddy, there are alot of other builders building the same circuit. I am sure you understand the comedy in people buying 6 clones of pedal A and saying how different they are.

I am obviously in the minority here. Thats where I like to be.

Skreddy obviously delivers a good quality product, and knows how to sell it.

For the people who buy 6 clones of pedal A and swear they hear a huge difference (other than EQ) please look up the phenomenon known as cognitive dissonance.

:p

• Members

After perusing your site, I would say that you are offering clones of several renowned circuits too, maybe with few tweaks. I can name some other manufacturers that offer exactly the same things in a pedal. As for different Muffs - it's just like the different versions of the Fuzz Face: early germanium-based units and later silicon-based units. They're both called a Fuzz Face but sound drastically different. Therefore you could have several clones of either circuit and still have different beasts in each.

• Members

I am pretty sure you must have seen my DIY projects on toppiccione. Plus other schematics released on the diy forum.

:p

I can't comment on your pedals, but your website makes me want to murder people.

Also, you might think about renaming the Moneyshot since Subdecay beat you to it.

• Members

Originally posted by jimihalen

After perusing your site, I would say that you are offering clones of several renowned circuits too, maybe with few tweaks. I can name some other manufacturers that offer exactly the same things in a pedal. As for different Muffs - it's just like the different versions of the Fuzz Face: early germanium-based units and later silicon-based units. They're both called a Fuzz Face but sound drastically different. Therefore you could have several clones of either circuit and still have different beasts in each.

First of all, I dont know of any company that offers these circuits currently. Ofcourse, other companies sell phasers, boosters, chorus's and fuzz pedals. But I dont know of anyone who is selling the pedals I am. For a start some of them are completely original. My philosophy is to squeeze as many sounds out of the same effect as feasible. I want to cater for those who want something subtle and those that want something extreme and all the inbetweens. I am not aiming for people who want to nail "guitarist a's" tone, I am aiming for people who want to make their own. Case and point the Stellar chorus will have 7 panel mount pots and one toggle switch. If you cant find "your" chorus sound in there, you dont want a chorus.

There is a huge tonal difference between PNP germ and NPN sili transistors. However the pedal was still called the fuzz face.

There isnt a big difference between 2N4132, 2N5088 or BC109.....believe me, I have tried them all.......

• Members
Originally posted by murch33

I can't comment on your pedals, but your website makes me want to murder people.

Also, you might think about renaming the Moneyshot since Subdecay beat you to it.

Thanks for telling me.

:)

I should have known a name that good would be taken.

How about the Fluffer?

Not only does it help retain the clarity of your picks ups, enlighvening even the most flabby sounding of guitars, it can push that amp hard.

:D

I am glad you appreciate the aesthetics of the site.

:evil:

• Members
Originally posted by derek_32999

You should slow down the speed of the products page.... I had to reload it 3 times just to be able to track the words, and I read about 830 WPM. OR maybe I am just

:freak:

You are right.

I am going to update the site when I am ready to open up shop. I am compiling media just now for the site.

• Members

I asked the same question (I have a Zero as well) and here is was the reply from Skr3ddy:

"Thicker, creamier, grittier, less focused and more muffy, more complex-sounding mids."

I have a Zero and a Screw Driver. Neither is anything like any other Fuzz or OD I've ever played. Marc has always answered my questions in detail down to which components he found to provide the particular character or flavor. If one looks at his post answering my question about the differences between the Mayo and the ? Lady, it is easy to tell the difference cannot be bridged by an eq pedal. And nothing compares to the Screw Driver. It is amazingly touch sensitive and adds grit or sings according to the settings. If I had to have one pedal, this would be it. Fortunately, I don't have to make this choice nor do I have to limit myself to one pedal per builder or one pedal per category for that matter.

Personally, I am suspect about a builder who cannot hear the differences in Marc's offerings. I seriously doubt that is really the case here. So, I kept waiting for this thread to get to one of two points:

1) Someone selling something.

or

2) Take a turn toward other builders.

We got both. :wave:

• Members

You are right.

I am going to update the site when I am ready to open up shop. I am compiling media just now for the site.

After showing your ass like you just did, those pedals better wash the car and cook dinner, or I suspect you'll have a hard time selling even one of them here.

Good luck!

• Members

Originally posted by UncleDig

After showing your ass like you just did, those pedals better wash the car and cook dinner, or I suspect you'll have a hard time selling even one of them here.

Good luck!

Your loss.

Did I mention they also birth children?

I have built plenty of muffs, even with exactly the same components and they sound ever so slightly different from each other. Its called component tolerances. caps are typically +/- 5-10% on their marked value, electrolytics are worse at +/- 20% thats a change in tone. "Hi-Fi caps" dont exist. Its more mojo BS.

I am obviously fighting an uphill battle, maybe I will sell my products with all the same MOjo BS. NOS carbon comp resistors, metallized film "hi fi" caps, Tropical caps, NOS transistors, NOS Board, Wooden knobs for a transparent sound, the soil from the original fuzz face factory included in every box.

Wait, I have integrity.

If you want to buy the same old clones, thats fine. Just understand that its still a clone in a sea of clones, no matter what you call it. Or what you think you hear.

I imagine if I had just spent 200 bucks on something that takes minimal R + D, takes all of an hour to assemble by hand, contains 30$ worth of parts, I would suffer from cognitive dissonance too.

This isnt about Skreddy btw, its about the million and one "booteekers" who sell a tubescreamer, a fuzz face, a rangemaster, a muff, a ross compressor and a LPB2. Then say its the best thing to happen to your tone since dinosaurs walked the earth.

For the record I actually like Skreddy. Atleast he is somewhat upfront and honest about it.

• Members
Originally posted by trucks

I asked the same question (I have a Zero as well) and here is was the reply from Skr3ddy:

"Thicker, creamier, grittier, less focused and more muffy, more complex-sounding mids."

I have a Zero and a Screw Driver. Neither is anything like any other Fuzz or OD I've ever played. Marc has always answered my questions in detail down to which components he found to provide the particular character or flavor. If one looks at his post answering my question about the differences between the Mayo and the ? Lady, it is easy to tell the difference cannot be bridged by an eq pedal. And nothing compares to the Screw Driver. It is amazingly touch sensitive and adds grit or sings according to the settings. If I had to have one pedal, this would be it. Fortunately, I don't have to make this choice nor do I have to limit myself to one pedal per builder or one pedal per catagory for that matter.

Personally, I am suspect about a builder who cannot hear the differences in Marc's offerings. I seriously doubt that is really the case here. So, I kept waiting for this thread to get to one of two points:

1) Someone selling something.

or

2) Take a turn toward other builders.

We got both.

I was asked, by Mrsage.

I never posted with the intention of going into a speil.

For the record Skreddy's pedals do sound good. But the mayo and its incarnations are still muff clones albeit with slight differences.

Cant believe I get flamed because I thought it was funny to release 4 muff clones by different names.

:D

The builder took it like a gentlemen. Because he understands my point.

Why must you guys be so visceral?

Buy another muff/screamer/rosscomp/FF/RM clone. Its no skin off my back.

"Let them eat muff"

Archived