skreddy pedals

Guest Anonymous

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by hempathy

I have heard plenty of muffs.

There is plenty of documentation online about the differences between the muffs. The fact of the matter though is that EH used whatever they had in quantity at that time. Leading to difference in component values and types even in the same years in the same issue muff. They are still the same basic circuit. They still called them "The Big Muff". Even when they released an opamp version. The opamp version sounds hugely different. But the sound differences between different issues of transistorised muffs do not make them Entirely different pedals, in terms of sound.

Which has led to the countless threads by confused consumers as to which BM circuit to seek out. I think Skreddy is being above board and saying that due to a difference in parts and therefore sound he chooses to call them something different as to be clear as to what circuit you are actually buying.

For the record,

I have built a muff in an hour. Not including etching and drilling of the board and paint drying times. Dark T-shirt transfer takes all of 5 minutes for the decal. You dont sit and watch the clear dry.

Transistors $1

Footswitch $4

Resistors $1 Max

Capacitors $10 Max

Board $0.50 Max

Etchant $0.50 worth max

Enclosure $6.50

Jacks $3 max

Wire $1 Max

Solder Negligible

Pots $3

Clear Coat $1 worth max

Decal $2 max

Total $33.50

I am being generous with the values of some components.

Good I look forward to seeing your pedals when and if they are finally ready go for around $50. That's giving you a generous 30% profit margin.

• Members

Okay, I accept that we differ on some minor terminology points. For what it's worth, I never characterized my Top Fuel pedal as hi-fi, as obviously it's a distortion pedal. I see no problem using "hi fi" to describe metalized films as compared to provably "lo-fi" types of capacitors (that I would normally use in a distortion to impart their own smoothness or grittiness or whatever). It's not misleading or inaccurate in any way, and the tone difference is quite apparent. Your objection is however noted. I'm not sure why that is a hot-button issue with you, but whatever. I'm willing to overlook that personality flaw. ;)

As for the rest, there is no need to bother trying to figure out my costs or to do a blind taste test. My costs are such that even I don't have a very tight handle on them at this point, but my income and my expenses merge at some point that we can all assume is somewhere in the positive region (that is before I do my taxes, which will likely change that equation for the worse). I don't have a stable of pedals available to do a blind taste test, nor the time and inclination to bother, but of course I would welcome such an event. Probably won't happen, but it would be fun.

Thanks for clearing things up, and I hope there will be no lingering feelings of ill will.

• Members

Originally posted by paydirt

Which has led to the countless threads by confused consumers as to which BM circuit to seek out. I think Skreddy is being above board and saying that due to a difference in parts and therefore sound he chooses to call them something different as to be clear as to what circuit you are actually buying.

Fair enough. I see the logic. I have been proven wrong by saying that it was a marketing ploy. Obviously I was wrong.

Good I look forward to seeing your pedals when and if they are finally ready go for around $50. That's giving you a generous 30% profit margin.

Have you ever seen a modulation pedal with as little circuitry as a muff?

I will turn down this opportunity to promote. As obviously this thread is about skreddy's pedals.

• Members
Originally posted by skr3ddy

Okay, I accept that we differ on some minor terminology points. For what it's worth, I never characterized my Top Fuel pedal as hi-fi, as obviously it's a distortion pedal. I see no problem using "hi fi" to describe metalized films as compared to provably "lo-fi" types of capacitors (that I would normally use in a distortion to impart their own smoothness or grittiness or whatever). It's not misleading or inaccurate in any way, and the tone difference is quite apparent. Your objection is however noted. I'm not sure why that is a hot-button issue with you, but whatever. I'm willing to overlook that personality flaw.
;)

As for the rest, there is no need to bother trying to figure out my costs or to do a blind taste test. My costs are such that even I don't have a very tight handle on them at this point, but my income and my expenses merge at some point that we can all assume is somewhere in the positive region (that is before I do my taxes, which will likely change that equation for the worse). I don't have a stable of pedals available to do a blind taste test, nor the time and inclination to bother, but of course I would welcome such an event. Probably won't happen, but it would be fun.

Thanks for clearing things up, and I hope there will be no lingering feelings of ill will.

No feelings of ill will.

:)

I sincerely wish you the best of luck with your pedal business.

• Members
Originally posted by murch33

You don't own a Mayonaise? You made one of the most sought after Muff clones in recent memory and you don't have one for yourself? Now *that* I don't understand. If I was in the pedal building business that's the first thing I would do. I'd have all of the "#1" pedals lined up in a display case or something.

...with a little hammer hanging from a string and a sign that reads "In case of financial emergency, break glass."

LOL that was funny :D

• Members

Transistors $1

Footswitch $4

Resistors $1 Max

Capacitors $10 Max

Board $0.50 Max

Etchant $0.50 worth max

Enclosure $6.50

Jacks $3 max

Wire $1 Max

Solder Negligible

Pots $3

Clear Coat $1 worth max

Decal $2 max

Total $33.50

You forgot:
-9V DC jack. $0.75
-5mm LED $0.05
-5mm metal LED holder $0.20
-3 knobs minimum $1.50, if you use aluminium knobs, $6.

HA! :p

And, like I said, you still haven't convinced me (because you were dismissing some stuff), that you can build a Muff clone FROM SCRATCH in 1 hour.
I'll give you 2 time-savers; an etched PCB and a powdercoated enclosure.

You can't drill the enclosure, print decals, apply them, apply 2 layers of clearcoat, populate and solder the components on the board, insert all hardware (switch, jacks, pots) AND wire it up fully in 1 hour.

It's just {censored}in' impossible, and every half-decent DIY-er knows this!

The non-decent ones like Gzeusonfire will claim they can, BUT, then they start writing off {censored} like "decal applying" and stuff.
It takes TIME. Period.

• Members

For the record,

I have built a muff in an hour. Not including etching and drilling of the board and paint drying times. Dark T-shirt transfer takes all of 5 minutes for the decal. You dont sit and watch the clear dry.

Transistors $1

Footswitch $4

Resistors $1 Max

Capacitors $10 Max

Board $0.50 Max

Etchant $0.50 worth max

Enclosure $6.50

Jacks $3 max

Wire $1 Max

Solder Negligible

Pots $3

Clear Coat $1 worth max

Decal $2 max

Total $33.50

Wow :bor:
No Thanks :wave: Bye

Skreddy has made them right & described each variation very accurately

• Members
Originally posted by Speeddemon

You forgot:

-9V DC jack. $0.75

-5mm LED $0.05

-5mm metal LED holder $0.20

-3 knobs minimum $1.50, if you use aluminium knobs, $6.

HA!
:p

And, like I said, you still haven't convinced me (because you were dismissing some stuff), that you can build a Muff clone FROM SCRATCH in 1 hour.

I'll give you 2 time-savers; an etched PCB and a powdercoated enclosure.

You can't drill the enclosure, print decals, apply them, apply 2 layers of clearcoat, populate and solder the components on the board, insert all hardware (switch, jacks, pots) AND wire it up fully in 1 hour.

It's just {censored}in' impossible, and every half-decent DIY-er knows this!

The non-decent ones like Gzeusonfire will claim they can, BUT, then they start writing off {censored} like "decal applying" and stuff.

It takes TIME. Period.

I wasnt talking specifically about Skreddy's pedal. I was talking about muff clones in general, its possible to get quality aluminium knobs for less than 50c each. I did forget the DC jack and the LED and LED holder though.

Waterslide decals, or Dark T-shirt transfer dont take long. Its possible to have the decal printed and on the pedal in 5 mins, not including time for clearcoat drying.

PCB mount pots cut down time it takes for offboard wiring.

If you dont include time for etching and drilling the board, which most builders outsource or find quicker ways to do (dot dot dot). Dont include clear or paint drying times, you can do other things while thats drying.

Buying predrilled powdercoated and silkscreened boxes also cuts down on the build time. This service costs all of $4 per box more.

It helps to organising your layout to minimise offboard wiring. You can PCB mount everything, although I wouldnt PCB mount the 1.4" or DC jacks.

For example

PCB mount the footswitch and use something like these [1]=uk_insert&cookie_v[1]=TX&cookie_d[1]=&cookie_p[1]=%2f&cookie_e[1]=Sun%2c+30-Apr-2006+17%3a03%3a26+GMT]Here

It is possible to cut the offboard wiring down to 7 wires, including battery. This is the lowest I would go, not PCB mounting the DC or 1/4" jacks.

Why do something you are innefficient at?

If your opportunity cost is higher for drilling and decorating enclosures and making PCB's than those who offer the service, why not take advantage of it?

If you can offer the same quality at a lower price you have an edge.

It is far from impossible to build a muff clone in an hour. If you organise your time and resources effectively.

:wave:

People who have been building professionally for a long time would agree with me. Obviously its harder for your average Diyer.

;)[1]=uk_insert&cookie_v[1]=TX&cookie_d[1]=&cookie_p[1]=%2f&cookie_e[1]=Sun%2c+30-Apr-2006+17%3a03%3a26+GMT]Here

• Members

go {censored} yrself hempathy...you havent even tried any skreddypedals right ?

let me say some facts:

your website sucks ! i wouldnt buy anything from that downs syndrome-website

i still havent seen any of your so called fantastic innovative pedals...show us the goods then !

you are a troll that with a big ship on yr shoulder....no one likes you here with your {censored}ty attitude....and when your pedals are out for sale...i hope no one here buys any of them.

i just wanna say to you: {censored} YOU IN THE {censored}HOLE !

• Members
Originally posted by ollenorin

let me say some facts:

i still havent seen any of your so called fantastic innovative pedals...show us the goods then !

you are a troll that with a big ship on yr shoulder....no one likes you here with your {censored}ty attitude....and when your pedals are out for sale...i hope no one here buys any of them.

Nice "facts".

No, I havent heard them, but I have enough experience to make a great educated guess whats in them. Its not a huge trade secret y'know.

I never said my offerings were fantastically innovative. I said they werent clones of the same old pedals.

I dont give a {censored} if you dont like me. You think popularity matters to me?

I will show you my goods when I am ready, then you can insult them.

Admittedly my website sucks. Maybe I should outsource and get someone to build one. My step-sister has downs syndrome. You want to come insult her?

It doesnt bother me if no one buys them, I dont need the money. I am doing it to offer what I think are great pedals, if people dont agree, I will accept that. If they dont like em its no loss to me. I am sure they will offer something for guitar sound that isnt available. They already do well locally. I am just not ready to offer them to the rest of the world yet.

Especially with arse sucking sychophants like you waiting with baited breath to slate them without good reason. You know {censored} about what makes good tone.

If you read the {censored}ing thread I have alot of good things to say about skreddy, and his pedals.

I think I have been very fair, very patient and pretty decent about this whole fiasco. Go flame someone else.

Bye

Guest Anonymous

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by ollenorin

let me say some facts:

stop with the fluff and say how you really feel.

• Members

I never said my offerings were fantastically innovative. I said they werent clones of the same old pedals.

Infact, I would say that I am probably the only guitarist in the world right now with some of these exact circuits.

:confused::eek::confused:

• Members

Nice "facts".

No, I havent heard them, but I have enough experience to make a great educated guess whats in them. Its not a huge trade secret y'know.

I dont give a {censored} if you dont like me. You think popularity matters to me?

I will show you my goods when I am ready, then you can insult them.

Admittedly my website sucks. Maybe I should outsource and get someone to build one. My step-sister has downs syndrome. You want to come insult her?

It doesnt bother me if no one buys them, I dont need the money. I am doing it to offer what I think are great pedals, if people dont agree, I will accept that. If they dont like em its no loss to me. I am sure they will offer something for guitar sound that isnt available. They already do well locally. I am just not ready to offer them to the rest of the world yet.

Especially with arse sucking sychophants like you waiting with baited breath to slate them without good reason. You know {censored} about what makes good tone.

If you read the {censored}ing thread I have alot of good things to say about skreddy, and his pedals.

I think I have been very fair, very patient and pretty decent about this whole fiasco. Go flame someone else.

Bye

Builders who are successful & have posted here very rarely start off with posts like yours.

But I guess it doesn't matter because as you've said "you don't care if people here like you & it doesn't bother you if no one buys them, you don't need the money"
:rolleyes:

The "Fiasco" as you call it was started by you & your 1st post in this Pro Skreddy Thread.

Funny & Sad, you've sunk yourself before you even started.

:wave: Bye

Let's Get Back on Track

Skreddy Rules !!

Archived