Eternity prices etc what's the big deal?

• Members
Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

Actually it's important for you and others to know that I don't have a short fuse at all ... I'm the laughing Buddha! When I call somebody a {censored} I'm usually laughing in a gentle way --- Ahhhhhhhh ...
:)

Whereas I'm Googling your {censored} and buying plane tickets. :mad:

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by utterhack

Yes. Either that, or demanding that someone cut down all these goddamn trees so we can put a proper forest in.

Ahhhh - SO!

But seriously - you are well wrong and way off the mark on this one. Don't call my conviction of my belief a sham based on my sometime impish nature. This is the real thing I'll have you know. I can't repeat what has already been repeated.

This is a red herring; what can be captured has nothing to do with the "unrepresentative clips" issue. As erksin, endo and yrs truly have pointed out, the issue is what's recorded, not how well.

I agree entirely - I said that already and infact I said that the more simple the recording the more honest will be the result of what goes to the media. An amp and guitar and pedal on their own recorded with a simple home system will not hide the facts --- unlike pro studio compression and a mix! So that's that one dealt with once again.

The less a pedal takes over your tone, the more of an issue this becomes in clips, which are capturing with whatever degree of fidelity a specific combination of pedal/amp/guitar plus settings on all of the above. None of which necessarily tells you what's going on with e.g. force of attack.

So you mean to tell me that the Eternity is so subtle on tone that it's barely perceptable in clips? And that this is more about a live viceral experience than a sound thing? Response and attack are now the new narcissism of guitar? I'm not toying here ... I'm serious.

How a pedal plays is at least as important as what sounds it can make. And before you invite me to remove the cork from my nostril, note that I'm the author of the current DS-1 appreciation thread

How a pedal plays is how it sounds to me ... how it comes out the amp is how it plays is how it records is how it sounds in a clip to me. There really is no magic bullet here ... no missing link. I don't agree with the myth making that goes on with this pedal that's all. The guy playing the clips was {censored}ing competent at the widdly widdly widdly thang ... I heard what sounds the pedal made and listened with extreme isolation headphones and could hear when he clicked the pedal on and off.

It's a pedal ... it just didn't impress me. If you want to send me yours for a trial I'd be happy to give it a whirl and I would honestly come and retract my comments if proven wrong when playing it live.

:idea:
stirring {censored}?

You have such a low opinion of me sir!

• Members

Originally posted by Arjae

If you want to hear some more clips of it under different settings, here's some I had done a while back alternating between the stock chip and a TL072ACN.

Great but the problem here is that these clips don't give an indication of when the pedal is off and then on again ... then there is delay and other ambiguous variables in there. You managed to get some nice tone into a clip though so points for that.

How about doing some completely DRY clips and have the beginning of the clips start with the pedal not engaged and then engage it?

• Members

So you mean to tell me that the Eternity is so subtle on tone that it's barely perceptable in clips? And that this is more about a live viceral experience than a sound thing? Response and attack are now the new narcissism of guitar? I'm not toying here ... I'm serious.

Argh. I walked into that, didn't I? All I can say is, I've played four lovepedal ODs (in alpha order: Balance, COT, Dragon, E), and what distinguishes them from other really good ODs is their dynamic sensitivity. But no worries, the E can indeed be set to generate crushing levels of brewtal gain :)

If you want to send me yours for a trial I'd be happy to give it a whirl and I would honestly come and retract my comments if proven wrong when playing it live.

Love to, but unfortunately the recent price increase makes them a bitch to insure :p

When you come to LA though, you're on. Still can't guarantee it'll be your cup of tea. It's definitely no longer a "bang for buck" OD (if it ever was).

You have such a low opinion of me sir!

TIKI, why you break heart all time?

:cry::cry::cry:

• Members

How about doing some completely DRY clips and have the beginning of the clips start with the pedal not engaged and then engage it?

:thu:

This should be the industry standard for ALL clips, along with rig citation.

• Members

Great but the problem here is that these clips don't give an indication of when the pedal is off and then on again ... then there is delay and other ambiguous variables in there. You managed to get some nice tone into a clip though so points for that.

I can do that for you Tiki. :D For what it is worth for the time being (since I am at work), the set-up there was Fender California Strat, neck pickup (DiMarzio V.V. Blues) into the E, then Echo Park then stereo out to a pair of Johnson J-Stations set clean on the Blackface model then into a TC Electronic M-One for some reverb. From there it hit the soundcard (Delta 1010) and no other effects or editing was done. I unfortunately have to do my recording direct most of the time since I can't play my Twin at home any time I want. :( So the J-Stations have proven over the years (of trying every single modeller out there) to give the best results going direct.

• Members
Originally posted by utterhack

Argh. I walked into that, didn't I? All I can say is, I've played four lovepedal ODs (in alpha order: Balance, COT, Dragon, E), and what distinguishes them from other really good ODs is their dynamic sensitivity. But no worries, the E can indeed be set to generate crushing levels of brewtal gain

You think I'm all about Brewtal Gain ... no, no, no ... I'm into all kinds of tone but if the pedal is capable of some crunch also that's great. Would you care though to explain in detail what you take to be the difference in dynamic sensitivity between the E and other units?

Love to, but unfortunately the recent price increase makes them a bitch to insure
:p

You see, there is a downside to the price hike!

When you come to LA though, you're on. Still can't guarantee it'll be your cup of tea. It's definitely no longer a "bang for buck" OD (if it ever was).

You think we'll get past the drinking to play with pedals????

TIKI, why you break heart all time?

:cry:
[

He looker like a man!

• Members
Originally posted by Arjae

I can do that for you Tiki.
:D
For what it is worth for the time being (since I am at work), the set-up there was Fender California Strat, neck pickup (DiMarzio V.V. Blues) into the E, then Echo Park then stereo out to a pair of Johnson J-Stations set clean on the Blackface model then into a TC Electronic M-One for some reverb. From there it hit the soundcard (Delta 1010) and no other effects or editing was done. I unfortunately have to do my recording direct most of the time since I can't play my Twin at home any time I want.
:(
So the J-Stations have proven over the years (of trying every single modeller out there) to give the best results going direct.

Sounds good ... when can we expect the results of the E sessions? :)

• Members

Mess with the bull you WILL get the horns!

germanfarmer.jpg

Nothing trumps Charles Nelson Riley, IMO.

Are we through yet? This {censored} is silly - I'll buy the first round, no Fosters 'kay Tiki..?

• Members

Originally posted by erksin

Nothing trumps Charles Nelson Riley, IMO.

Are we through yet? This {censored} is silly - I'll buy the first round, no Fosters 'kay Tiki..?

This has been sedate since is started .. I'll mix Martini though, as only I can and spin some lounge music.

Archived