Eternity prices etc what's the big deal?

• Members

Originally posted by erksin

I'm a big fan of the MI stuff too, but he doesn't make anything that sounds like the CoT50 - apples and oranges.

I don't get the 'sucker' comment - if it sounds good and you can afford one, what's the issue?

Yes, I agree, the COT50 is a very unique drive. Nothing really like it. And to an extent, the same is true with the Eternity. It has that thick creamy quality that I've never heard before.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

Exactly what I said before ... it's a market perception thing and hype multiplied by availability + demand. The thing is some people want to throw money at product to make them feel like what they are getting is better than anything else ... the extent to which something is better is directly proportionate to the amount of money they spend - so if ( for instance ) the Eternity is $350 USD and another pedal by another builder is $150 then the Eternity MUST be twice as good right?

Wrooooooooooong!

Nothing against Sean, good luck to the guy - what I am questioning is the idiots who can buy one from him for a LOWER price than they go for on Ebay - this is lemmings off a cliff. The frenzy does nothing more than amuse me because the symptoms are always the same ---- in this case we have one monster of a stampede of wilderbeast I'll just make sure I don't get in the way or join in thanks.

Tiki -

Have you ever tried a Lovepedal anything? If not - you're talking out your ass here...

People will pay what they can afford - Sean's stuff is in limited supply, price goes up according to availability and demand. Simple.

• Members

I'm a big fan of the MI stuff too, but he doesn't make anything that sounds like the CoT50 - apples and oranges.

I don't get the 'sucker' comment - if it sounds good and you can afford one, what's the issue?

I'm referring specifically to people who pay over what Sean sells them for retail on Ebay --- you see them selling second hand for more than they are NEW. That's not Seans fault and I have nothing against him at all ... it's a comment on the market fever that goes along with hyped pedals.

Certainly, if you dig it, have the money and it's worth what you want to pay for it to have it on your board who is to say that's wrong. I'm just sharing an opinion over the specifics of how the market seems to ebb and flow.

• Members

Tiki -

Have you ever tried a Lovepedal anything? If not - you're talking out your ass here...

People will pay what they can afford - Sean's stuff is in limited supply, price goes up according to availability and demand. Simple.

Nothing I have said above would be invalidated by my NOT playing a Lovepedal as much of what I said was regarding market forces and how people act within them when hype is applied.

As for telling me I am talking out my arse that's a bit confrontational at this early stage don't you think? If you want to continue in that fashion we can but I'd say it's a waste of energy, ass-wipe!

I listened to the clips at Seans site and was left entirely unimpressed. I keep hearing various people trying to tell me that clips don't tell the story ... well they {censored}ing do for me and other people I know, quite well thankyou. If clips don't reflect the pedal then what's the point of having them in the first {censored}ing place?

Those that doubt me suck cock by choice!

:thu:

• Members

The thing to keep in mind with eBay is that Sean puts pedals on eBay that are usually one off's. Like the white E that is on there now or the Purple Plexi. You can't get them from his site at the moment so people will pay whatever for those items because they are different. Same with the Deux's that show up from time to time.

• Members
Originally posted by DJLantz444

Yes, but I find that for the first two applications, it's too colored. It thickens the sound TOO much. When I used the Eternity as a clean/dirty boost with my Peavey Classic 30 it doesn't retain the qualities of the Peavey cleans at all. Which could be good or bad..

I think the Eternity shines as an OD more than a boost.

All I can say to this siilly thread is:

1. I wish Tiki lived in the States, I'd send him my Eternity and he could decide for himself instead of listening to clips all day...

2. DJ, get back to me when you get that Deluxe Reverb clone. Run the thing around 10 o'clock, put a COT or Balance first in line, and an Eternity second. Post results. ;)

I've played/owned so many boutique ODs and frankly, Sean's stuff is the best I've come across. No, I wouldn't have paid $300 for an E (mine was MUCH less), but really, that would have been my loss, since it was the missing piece in my rig. Since so many other E owners say the same thing, I have to submit Sean is only charging what the pedal is "worth" in the market. Simple as that.

I don't mind if you think I'm a sucker, either, because every time I plug into my rig I giggle like a schoolgirl on lollipop day. So... I win!

• Members
Originally posted by endo23

1. I wish Tiki lived in the States, I'd send him my Eternity and he could decide for himself instead of listening to clips all day...

2. DJ, get back to me when you get that Deluxe Reverb clone. Run the thing around 10 o'clock, put a COT or Balance first in line, and an Eternity second. Post results.
;)

I've played/owned so many boutique ODs and frankly, Sean's stuff is the best I've come across. No, I wouldn't have paid $300 for an E (mine was MUCH less), but really, that would have been my loss, since it was the missing piece in my rig. Since so many other E owners say the same thing, I have to submit Sean is only charging what the pedal is "worth" in the market. Simple as that.

I don't mind if you think I'm a sucker, either, because every time I plug into my rig I giggle like a schoolgirl on lollipop day. So... I win!

I have to sell the COT to afford it. I'll get another one sometime, maybe. I have a birthday coming up. :thu:

I'm keeping the Eternity though.

• Members
Originally posted by endo23

So the purpose of this comment is to somehow suggest it has no purpose and you are above it? This from an owner of the pedal in question ... riiiiiiiigggght. ;)

1# - I don't listen to clips all day.

2# - Clips are easily representative of the sound issuing forth - if they aren't then we better go chuck out all our CD's and LP's because they'll never really sound like those bands anyway.

3# - Telling me the clips I heard are beyond my understanding is silly, there is no way I heard $300 USD's worth of pedal in those clips ... sorry. A clip is a clip is a clip is a clip ... what you hear is what's there. I was left searching the ether after it was all done ... what was the mystery sound I wondered????

4# - If you like it that's fine - my point wasn't that YOU are a sucker - re-read my points one more time. I was saying, yet again, that people who pay more for the pedal than Sean sells it for new are suckers.

• Members
Originally posted by murch33

Thread Summary

:cry:
"Boo-hoo, I can't afford a Lovepedal."
:cry:

No, that's the too thick to understand the thread summary. This was an existing thread over at the Gearpage and people who own the pedal already there had similar comments to myself regarding the prices.

Don't be a complete {censored} ...

• Members

I think you need to lay off the Fosters, Tik...

Okay - here's my last .02 regarding this. In Lovepedal's case, clips absolutely do not do them justice - Sean's pedals are as much about response and feel as they are voicing. No clip can convey that. Therefore - you don't really 'get it' since you haven't played one in person. There is a significant difference between my personal experience with his CoT50 and every other OD/Boost I've tried - and TO ME, the price is justified. I have a $200 ceiling on effects purchases - I'll never own an Eternity unless I can score one at that price. I'm okay with that.

Obviously, you have a beef with 'market pricing' and the people who propogate it - fine, don't play the game.

• Members

Tiki,

My responses weren't all aimed just at you, bud. There were a variety of opinions and perspectives evinced in this thread and I was taking them on whole hog. Some of them were indeed SILLY, e.g. "geeks with cash drooling for his gear."

Here's teh thing about clips, though--

A great OD pedal will respond to your particular rig in such a dynamic way that a clip can't possibly represent its true sound unless it was recorded through YOUR rig. In addition, clips often fail to represent how the pedal responds to your playing. It's this X factor I'm talking about. (FWIW, I don't hear anything in the MI Audio clips that suggests "magic," but I wouldn't judge them based on that. I've heard too many great things from players I trust.)

Also, while your "throw out our records" quip was pithy, it's a pretty bunk metaphor, as records often DO NOT represent the sound of a live band. Ask anyone who's seen the Smashing Pumpkins live if they sounded like they do on Siamese Dream. So whatever.

My real point was sincere-- I wish you could try the pedal! It probably wouldn't be your bag anyway, judging from the sound of your MySpace tracks, but it's just a great piece of gear...

• Members

Originally posted by DJLantz444

Alright guys, keep the thread nice. Tiki and murch both have fiery tempers (at least in my opinion) and we don't need a confrontation.

I do?

Thank you. That put a smile on my face.

• Members

I think you need to lay off the Fosters, Tik...

I wouldn't touch that cat piss if you paid me actually. I'm well sober thanks.

clips absolutely do not do them justice - Sean's pedals are as much about response and feel as they are voicing. No clip can convey that. Therefore - you don't really 'get it' since you haven't played one in person.

If that were really true then what is the point of having clips at his website or any builder for that matter? Why wouldn't I hear the magical response in a recorded clip the same way the guy playing it does? Is he hearing something in the room that the mic isn't? Come onnnnnnnn! :)

Obviously, you have a beef with 'market pricing' and the people who propogate it - fine, don't play the game.

Actually I don't ... but when people are willfull in their deliberate missunderstanding of my initial comment - a comment that has been echoed elsewhere by owners of the very pedal we speak of - then because I have to get up and RE- explain the obvious it seems like all of a sudden I've got an issue.

What I have an issue with is people who don't understand a simple point the first time it's explained. :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

If that were really true then what is the point of having clips at his website or any builder for that matter? Why wouldn't I hear the magical response in a recorded clip the same way the guy playing it does? Is he hearing something in the room that the mic isn't? Come onnnnnnnn!
:)

Because you don't "hear" response. No one gets that except for the one playing. It's the way the car handles, not the lap time.

• Members

Originally posted by murch33

Because you don't "hear" response. No one gets that except for the one playing. It's the way the car handles, not the lap time.

Ok so given that logic, when it comes to recording an album Seans pedals are {censored}ing useless because you'll never hear the REAL response and dymanics in a recorded setting, right?

So let's see ... Lovepedals are great live but will never be captured in clips or recorded material - it's a live experience only.

• Members

But Tiki, you're acting as if clips on a builder's site are = recording an album in a fricking studio. Clips are just a sketch of a pedal's potential. It's that simple, no matter how many ways you want to twist it around.

Different guitars, different amps, hell even different mics and studio techniques can radically alter how the pedal sounds "on record."

Archived