Eternity prices etc what's the big deal?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Lovepedals always seems to fluctuate in price for seemingly arbitrary reasons. I'm not ripping on Sean and I wouldn't mind trying a COT one day but I'm not going to pay these absurd prices.

I hope this whole boutique institution wears out it's customers and peters out. I wish I played guitar in the 70s so I could have perspective on the whole matter but even with my limited scope, $329 overdrive pedals seem like a joke.

• Members

Check the thread here guys you may find it interesting as you know more about these units than me. http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=152815

I agree however that there comes a point of diminishing returns on a dirt box and a price point I won't go over for one. $250 Australian, which is about $220 USD would be my limit and it seems there are Eternity pedals fetching $300 USD!!!

• Members

Originally posted by Coach

I wouldn't mind trying a COT one day

I highly recommend it. Mine just came tonight, and while it's nice on its own, it's ridiculous cascading into my other dirt. It makes them come ALIVE.

I paid something like $185 for it, which isn't that much cheaper than new, but I've seen a few Balances for sale cheap lately. My only complaint with Lovepedals is the fact that they quite often don't have power jacks or LED's. My COT50 at least has an LED, but my Karl has neither. There's no excuse for not including at least an LED.

• Members

Originally posted by murch33

I highly recommend it. Mine just came tonight, and while it's nice on its own, it's
ridiculous
cascading into my other dirt. It makes them come ALIVE.

I paid something like $185 for it, which isn't that much cheaper than new, but I've seen a few Balances for sale cheap lately. My only complaint with Lovepedals is the fact that they quite often don't have power jacks or LED's. My COT50 at least has an LED, but my Karl has neither. There's no excuse for not including at least an LED.

I agree with the no reason for no LED comment. I'd eventually like to try a COT as I hear it makes Fenders turn into Plexi monsters. Seems interesting so I'm positive I'll try one eventually. Just need to have a fair chunk of green. :D

• Members

Ok we have now arrived at stoopid-ville!

The price for the Eternity on Sean's Ebay auction is now over $450.00!

Ahhh somebody got some sense!

FWIW, the $456 bid was retracted (see bid history).

So it's back to around $355!

• Members

Ok so I had to have a listen to the clips and I just listened to the Eternity ... it's an ok sounding box but did nothing at all to blow me away - infact I'm serious when I say I've heard better tones from M.I Audio at half that price ... which confirms my suspicions earlier. :freak:

People charge what the market will bear I guess ...

• Members

Tiki,

I am not here to sell you on an Eternity pedal. I have a Crunch Box by M.I. Audio and it is great pedal. I own an Eternity and it is one of my go to pedals. Oddly, my other go to pedals are made by Sean as well. They are a FAB-50 and a Twin-60 respectively. These pedals just work for me and I love them. YMMV

It's all good. Both of the builders mentioned here are swamped with work. :D

• Members

i've really got mixed feelings about the cot. first its not some secret pandoras box of tone. it works alot like a treble boost. i know some people are going to disagree here, but it does. its just geared not to throw as much treble. and more volume without the extra compression is going to make any amp at any level sound alot better. try it with a bright ac-30. it doesn't work as good, talk about ice picks. the cot just boost mid and higher frequecies and volume. with warmer amps its awesome. the eternity is the same way. take any od and add a treble boost w/ a tone control its going to sound amazing. don't get me wrong i think its a great idea. someone should have been doing it 20 years ago. but this thing shouldn't be such a mystery to anyone who has spent alot of time with a el84 amps. but it is ridiculous for any one giving over lets $175.

• Members

Since I just posted there, I might as well add my comment here...

Sean produces a number of different pedals, makes each one himself, and seems to have a pretty deep waiting list. Given what the current E's going for on ebay even after the bid retraction it's fair to say he's been charging much less than the market will bear for a while.

PaulC has chosen to hold the line on prices and extend the waiting list, but no one seems to complain about the "street price" on Tims and Timmys. I've got no problem with the builder getting some of the fair value of a pedal rather than supporting a robust aftermarket.

To be fair, I'd be personally bummed if I were on the outside looking in, but I still wouldn't hold it against the builder. Other lovepedal prices have been creeping up for a while too (see Magicboy, Dragon, COT) and haven't seemed to generate the same degree of consternation, so it's not as though Sean's singling out a hot pedal for quick "make hay while the sun shines" bucks. Just seems to be keeping the workload manageable - and possibly protecting a little time for R&D, which bodes well for everyone.

• Members

I also second the mi audio blue boy. this is one of the greatest overdrives ever made period. yet it is modestly price and for the most part gets no credit. it does work with any amp. and enough tone shaping capabilities to get any true overdrive sound your after.

and here is my big fat point. had mi audio stuck a $395.00 price tag on it, this thread would be about the mi audio instead of lovepedal. and they be going for $700.00 on ebay. hype and buzz. this pedal business is dirtier than the stock market. wolves and lambs boys.

the highway is alive tonight. ain't nobody foolin nobody as to where it goes. ~B.S.

• Members

Originally posted by murphj1

and here is my big fat point. had mi audio stuck a $395.00 price tag on it, this thread would be about the mi audio instead of lovepedal. and they be going for $700.00 on ebay. hype and buzz. this pedal business is dirtier than the stock market. wolves and lambs boys.

I agree with everything above except for the dirty part. MI Audio makes great pedals, produces in higher volumes, and benefits (mildly) from a favorable US/AU exchange rate. Sean's responding to a backlog of orders and afaik not driving to work in a Rolls.

I shudder to think what e.g. a DL-4 or MXR flanger would go for if they were built by hand in small batches. Probably wouldn't be feasible to bring them to market at all...

Anywho, you want nude emperors, check out the audiophile market.

• Members

Exactly what I said before ... it's a market perception thing and hype multiplied by availability + demand. The thing is some people want to throw money at product to make them feel like what they are getting is better than anything else ... the extent to which something is better is directly proportionate to the amount of money they spend - so if ( for instance ) the Eternity is $350 USD and another pedal by another builder is $150 then the Eternity MUST be twice as good right?

Wrooooooooooong!

Nothing against Sean, good luck to the guy - what I am questioning is the idiots who can buy one from him for a LOWER price than they go for on Ebay - this is lemmings off a cliff. The frenzy does nothing more than amuse me because the symptoms are always the same ---- in this case we have one monster of a stampede of wilderbeast I'll just make sure I don't get in the way or join in thanks.

• Members

I don't know anybody who has an Eternity who doesn't love the thing. I have about 15-20 OD pedals (I know, I have a problem) and it sounds the best, period. Everybody has different price sensitivity, but obviously the pedal's worth what people are willing to pay for it. But saying it's "hype" suggests that the product is not as good as the reputation and that's not the case here.

By the way, I agree on MI Audio. *If* you are very price sensitive, the MI Audio Blues Pro, to my ears, sounds about 90% as good as my Eternity at 1/3 the price (I got mine for $85). Which is a great deal; but if you don't mind paying for that extra 10%, well then the E. is the way to go.

• Members

Originally posted by murch33

I highly recommend it. Mine just came tonight, and while it's nice on its own, it's
ridiculous
cascading into my other dirt. It makes them come ALIVE.

Welcome to the club!

The CoT is really magical pushing other ODs, isn't it? Nothing I've tried matches it for this application...

Actually, there are some pretty good excuses per Sean - a little searching will describe his reasons in detail.

• Members

Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

As far as I can work out Mike Ibrihim makes pedals just as good at 1/3rd the price ... it's just a beat up obviously. But like they say, there's a sucker born every minute.
:thu:

I'm a big fan of the MI stuff too, but he doesn't make anything that sounds like the CoT50 - apples and oranges.

I don't get the 'sucker' comment - if it sounds good and you can afford one, what's the issue?

• Members

Originally posted by gil1

For me the great thing about the Eternity is it does a bunch of jobs well.

Clean Boost

Dirty Boost

Light OD

High Gain OD

The whole range is good.

Yes, but I find that for the first two applications, it's too colored. It thickens the sound TOO much. When I used the Eternity as a clean/dirty boost with my Peavey Classic 30 it doesn't retain the qualities of the Peavey cleans at all. Which could be good or bad..

..However, what I'm saying is, it's not like the RC Booster which adds some grit, some volume, and fills out the sound, but sounds the same. The Eternity adds it's own quality to the clean.

I think the Eternity shines as an OD more than a boost.

Archived