How do I simulate a good leslie sound?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i know its not true leslie, but if you can get the watery swirl happening a trem placed after with low mix but have it set tempo with the swirl can really add to the overall picture as a spinning speaker.

i took the dano rocky road (modded for volume drop) then throw a light chorus that is "spinning" at roughly the same rate as the rocky road, then a tremelo set low mix but same speed and it was closer then ive heard from alot of other "leslie sims'

• Members

Originally posted by Durango_Kid

What effects can I mix with the phase 90 to get a nice leslie effect without buying a RotoMachine?

Nothing that has been invented yet.... but you might be able to use a trem to get a crappy leslie effect.

• Members

Personally, I have no experience with this pedal, but look at the DLS RotoSim. The sound clips are great and you can control the treble horn speed and bass horn speed, etc. It may be a bit expensive, but I've seen many a major label artist use that to capture a leslie sound live.

• Members

Originally posted by hurleysurf

Personally, I have no experience with this pedal, but look at the DLS RotoSim. The sound clips are great and you can control the treble horn speed and bass horn speed, etc. It may be a bit expensive, but I've seen many a major label artist use that to capture a leslie sound live.

Just went and listened to all the clips on that one - and the chorus/vibe clips too ... it's ok, it's still not right but it's probably closer than allot of other things out there. The thing is I have a couple of analogue chorus pedals from the 80's that sound more convincing than the DLS!

When listening to the exp control you can immediately hear that the sound isn't wide enough and detailed enough in thickness to be convincing as a Leslie sound - the speed isn't right either in that it doesn't clean up fast enough like a real Leslie and I didn't hear anything like the cross axis bass & treble rotor ramp speeds getting out of phase with one another. It's no better than a chorus with a bit of expression control for my book.

Ok, but no winner really.

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzface71

What the hell is wrong with you guys!

No ones mentioned the Rotosphere?!
:confused:;)

rotosphere-Ax.jpg

as soon as I some cash. I'm definitely geting one again.

Go read the reviews of the DLS ... allot of EX Rotosphere users who went on to prefer the DLS ... the Roto is noisier and has other issues - now if they prefer the DLS to the Rotosphere then the Rotosphere sure ain't gonna do Leslie cause the DLS doesn't do it by a good stretch either.:wave:

• Members

Well, the Rotosphere I had was great. And yes, I agree that a pedal can't really simulate a leslie speaker, but the rotosphere was the closest pedal-wise. A chorus pedal might do some trick, but it's just doing a chorus thing. And a uni-vibe also falls short. The uni-vibe has a totally different "vibe." :)

Is the DLS digital?

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzface71

Well, the Rotosphere I had was great. And yes, I agree that a pedal can't really simulate a leslie speaker, but the rotosphere was the closest pedal-wise. A chorus pedal might do some trick, but it's just doing a chorus thing. And a uni-vibe also falls short. The uni-vibe has a totally different "vibe."
:)

Is the DLS digital?

Read over this thread more closely ... I actually have a Leslie and grew up around them as my father and uncle were Hammind players in the 60's ... we had 122's around all the time. I have a leslie 18 cab I use ... a Leslie IS TRUE CHORUS!

;)

• Members

Sticky this thread and be done with it once and for all!

Two ways to look at it -

1. I want a Leslie and I can't afford one. What can I get that sounds just like a Leslie but is cheaper and smaller? Answer - nothing.

2. I tried the (DLS, Rotosphere, Roto Machine, SCH-1, CE1, Rocky Road, Whirligig, Univibe clone, Wiggler, phaser + tremolo, etc.) and really dug it. I don't care if it sounds like a Leslie or not.

:wave:

• Members

All I am saying is that a "chorus pedal" is a chorus pedal and not a leslie pedal. And I totally agree, that a chorus has that leslie vibe going (that's why they were created, I believe, to simulate the leslie sound).

Have you ever tried playing all those Beatles or any guitar riff with a leslie, with chorus pedal?

Might be close enough, but IMO, no cigar. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by BmoreTele

1. I want a Leslie and I can't afford one. What can I get that sounds just like a Leslie but is cheaper and smaller? Answer - nothing.

:

+1 (though some are close, but expensive)..So, I guess NOTHING?

• Members

Anybody ever try one of those Dunlop Rotovibes (in the red standard wah casing)? Might be nice because it has the expression pedal built in. Yes, it's not a Leslie. yes, it falls short of sounding like a Leslie. I've never played one and just curious about how good/bad it is, on its own terms. I think Cobain used to play one.

• Members

It seems this effect is hard to define, which I guess makes a lot of sense considering the dynamic nature of it.

Somebody asked if the "G9 already had the is effect" and the answer is no. There is a patch that tries to simulate it with some other modulation effects but to be honest the patch is a very poor example, so I thought I would work on my own.

Tiki-the G9 is a digital box and I totaly hear what you are saying about needing an analog sound for a good but I have a feeling that the G9 get a pretty rendition because it is a very "non-digital" sounding box for the most part.

It seems that if I were to start with a good stereo chorus, add the "Air Ambiance" effect for depth, throw in a subtle amount of phasing and hit the tremelo from my Fender Pro Reverb-there might be enough dynamic going on there to provide a decent sound.

Then again, that all sounds like a pretty complicated freaking process that might just make it all worth having a rotary speaker.

:idea:

I having spent enough with my G9 to know that it will never be my main board for gigs. Bottom line is there is just too much {censored} going on to remember and I like the simplicity and quality of stompies too much. I guess I'm just trying to justify a way to utilize it and save some cash.

• Members

Originally posted by BmoreTele

Sticky this thread and be done with it once and for all!

Two ways to look at it -

2. I tried the (DLS, Rotosphere, Roto Machine, SCH-1, CE1, Rocky Road, Whirligig, Univibe clone, Wiggler, phaser + tremolo, etc.) and really dug it. I don't care if it sounds like a Leslie or not.

:wave:

Right

But the discussion will go on; which box is closer to `the real thing`.

_cls222-Bx.jpg

• Members

I always thought "Machine Gun" was supposed to be the definitive leslie/Hendrix sound. Oh well...

Originally posted by endo23

I interpret Leslie sound as being kind of Hendrix-ey, especially "Band of Gypsys"

Where is there Leslie on Band of Gypsys?

Try Axis: Bold As Love, mate. (Or just get yourself a Univibe and be done with it.)

• Members

I don't want to beat a dead horse here but as I was doing a little more research I ran across this web site. This is getting away from the original intent of this thread but then again, who cares?

Motion Sound

Obviouly this is getting back to the 'real thing' but the SRV-212 would make a decent cab option considering the extra 'feature' you get for a little more $$$

• Members

Originally posted by Grubgoat

I always thought "Machine Gun" was supposed to be the definitive leslie/Hendrix sound. Oh well...

Nope - that would be the definitive Uni-Vibe sound...

'Badge' is a Leslie, the solo in 'Hey Jude' is a Leslie - hear the difference..?

• Members

TIKI - is having both the bass speaker spinner in the bottom and the spinning horn in the top the only way to get this sound? The reason I ask is because songworks wakes a rotary kit for around 300 bucks, but it's just a spinning 10" speaker and is passive so you hook it up to a speaker extension on the back of your amp.

I'm looking at either the songworks or the whirligig for my rhodes and have no way of playing either one first.

Archived