How do I simulate a good leslie sound?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by stompboxx

IMO, this is the best way to simulate it:

1) Hire a dwarf. A midget will do just as well.

2) Get them to pick the amp up.

3) Get them to turn around as you play.

You have successfully simulated a leslie.

That's sounds like a good plan.

What are you doing this Saturday night?

• Members

Ok, I'll give it to you straight - a Leslie isn't a phase sound it's actually true Chorus. What you want is a great analogue chorus that will do a nice liquidy vibrato tone that has a good variable slow to fast speed with a bit of detune - but only slight detune. The only way to truly then get a Leslie sound from a pedal is to have all of what I mentioned and then have an expression pedal to control the speed of the effect to ramp it up and down.

I have a Leslie 18 and it's not a Phaser sound - it's always been true Chorus. What you want is an analogue Chorus that kicks arse and ticks the above boxes, saving that get a Leslie 16 or 18 cab.

• Members

are there any leslie pedals that don't phase or get really swirly choursy like a univibe AND have tremolo as part of the circuit? IMO

the amplitude cycle is really important--albeit more subtle than what TIKI descibed.

the only one i've seen with trem as part of the circuit is the DOD VibroThang, which has a vibrato and trem and what some some call "phase" but doesn't sound like a phaser. all 3 are on the same clock. anything similar out there? it's actually a clever design but, being a modern DOD, it has its shortcomings.

• Members

Originally posted by Puke Face

I've never tried that Big boss simulator thing but, I use a Poly Chorus in flange mode and prefer it to my Leslie.

Yeah but a Leslie isn't flanging ... so what you prefer is something else but it's not a Leslie in the true sense of it.

• Members

Originally posted by Durango_Kid

Thanks Tiki. That helps.

That sounds like it may be possible with my G9 considering it's ability to assign just about anything to the expression pedal. I'll play around with some combos to see what comes of it.

That might be cool but it's not analogue - the Leslie sound is quite dark and has allot of air and movement in there too - it's not a totally clean digital thing - it's got lumps and valleys in there - you need an analogue box with an exp pedal not a digital rack thingo.

• Members

I interpret Leslie sound as being kind of Hendrix-ey, especially "Band of Gypsys". So here's a way I've personally gotten close to that sound, and its basically what Tiki is saying.

In my "solo" loop I've got an old Boss Dimension C chorus, set on the first or sometimes second setting. Skreddy Top fuel. Bang, there you go. The top Fuel I have set to kind of "cream" things up, the Dimension C provides the subtle movement. I also sometimes use an Analog Man modded TS-9 for similar results (but not as good as the Skreddy).

Damn, I've been waiting to brag about that sound for some time now...:p

• Members

Okay...

Just as long as we're on the topic, what effect is Billy using on this specific acoustic version of Mayonaise?

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=B7D1C37A0F3812C8

Because to me, that's a "good enough" leslie sound. It sounds like some sort of phase+something else for the spinning? I don't know. :freak:

My guess would be Univibe, but I could be sorely wrong.

• Members

The last I will say is simply that a Univibe isn't a Leslie sound - you may like that sound but it's not a Leslie sound -

Just listen to The Changeling by the Doors - the Hammond organ on that, that's the true Leslie sound. The sound of guitar on the beginning of Lucy in the sky with Diamonds, that's a Leslie sound - the sound on Itchycoo Park by the Small Faces is tape Flanging. See you back here after you listen to them all. :thu:

• Members

I interpret Leslie sound as being kind of Hendrix-ey, especially "Band of Gypsys"

Where is there Leslie on Band of Gypsys?

Try Axis: Bold As Love, mate. (Or just get yourself a Univibe and be done with it.)

• Members

Originally posted by Klisk

Okay...

Just as long as we're on the topic, what effect is Billy using on this specific acoustic version of Mayonaise?

My guess would be Univibe, but I could be sorely wrong.

Klisk-- doesn't sound like a Univibe, IMO. Much more like a flanger... ADA, Electric Mistress... Tiki, a little help?

• Members

Originally posted by endo23

Klisk-- doesn't sound like a Univibe, IMO. Much more like a flanger... ADA, Electric Mistress... Tiki, a little help?

I'm currently downloading a wad of Banshees interviews and will have to download that clip and post back in a little while about what I think it sounds like.

To me, a Leslie is one of the most difficult effects to capture via pedals - there's just nothing out there quite like the real thing. It does have elements of phase shift, and some chorusing with the interaction and different speeds and ramp up / down times of the low frequency drum and high frequency horn, but the thing that makes it really hard to emulate is the complex interactions of all of the above coupled with the Doppler shift...

They are tricky beasts, and there's a lot of pedals and effects that may come "close enough" to suit your needs, but that really gets into personal preferences...

• Members

Originally posted by GuyaGuy

are there any leslie pedals that don't phase or get really swirly choursy like a univibe AND have tremolo as part of the circuit? IMO

the amplitude cycle is really important--albeit more subtle than what TIKI descibed.

the only one i've seen with trem as part of the circuit is the DOD VibroThang, which has a vibrato and trem and what some some call "phase" but doesn't sound like a phaser. all 3 are on the same clock. anything similar out there? it's actually a clever design but, being a modern DOD, it has its shortcomings.

so does that mean no? :mad:

• Members

Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

The last I will say is simply that a Univibe isn't a Leslie sound - you may like that sound but it's not a Leslie sound -

I know, I know, it's a warbly/spinny sound. :D I like it.

Did I really just say spinny? :cry:

• Members

i'm not a leslie expert or anything. but the ehx wiggler was pretty impressive. it doesn't phase or chorus. its a tremolo/vibrato that has different modes to make it move like a phase, chorus, without the swish/swoosh of the actual chorus/phaser. i have a mojo vibe, which is very cool. but it doesn't do leslies, just a very lush chorus/vibrato. feel free to poke fun at my swish/swooshes.

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

To me, a Leslie is one of the most difficult effects to capture via pedals - there's just nothing out there quite like the real thing.

Agreed ... I mean really it's not possible but people want to try and ofcourse you have all sorts of aproximations by way of Vibrato's, trems, flangers, Chorus, phasers but they never really do the job.

It does have elements of phase shift, and some chorusing with the interaction and different speeds and ramp up / down times of the low frequency drum and high frequency horn, but the thing that makes it really hard to emulate is the complex interactions of all of the above coupled with the Doppler shift...

The Leslie sound is TRUE Chorus Phil, it has really no relatioship to phasing though the slight phase effect is a proponent of the doppler shift rather than it being actual phasing as we know it proper. It can't have elements of chorus because a Leslie IS a Chorus - it's just a very sophisticated chorus whose component sounds are made up of an interaction between bass and treble rotors and as you say the ramping effect and the cross axis speeds of both rotors slowing or speeding up at different rates. But the truth here is that a Leslie is a TRUE CHORUS - it's just like no other chorus out there! ;)

Archived