How do I simulate a good leslie sound?

• Members

Originally posted by shipatsea

TIKI - is having both the bass speaker spinner in the bottom and the spinning horn in the top the only way to get this sound? The reason I ask is because songworks wakes a rotary kit for around 300 bucks, but it's just a spinning 10" speaker and is passive so you hook it up to a speaker extension on the back of your amp.

I'm looking at either the songworks or the whirligig for my rhodes and have no way of playing either one first.

It was common practice among some musicians to disconnect the bass rotor as they felt it interfered with certain frequencies - this was usualy guitarists who only wanted the top rotor - so yeah, you can still get a Leslie sound with the top horn but it's never going to be the FULL Leslie without the bass & treb horns spinning up and down at different rates because then you only have one rotor going. It's like my Leslie 18 which gives a great Leslie sound but it's not the FULL Leslie sound and I never hear that particular off axis phasing that happens with the proper FULL sound of both bass/treb rotors.

If you have EVER been in the proximity of a real Hammond B3 pumping through a pair of 144's or 122's with both rotors going you will know right away what IS and what ISN'T the full Leslie sound. The fact is they were always voiced for Organs and not guitars but ofcourse people experimented and used it on Guitars ansd just about anything.

YMMV ...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

I'm currently downloading a wad of Banshees interviews and will have to download that clip and post back in a little while about what I think it sounds like.

Did you get a chance to do this yet? :D:thu::wave:

Thanks (in advance). :)

• Members

Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

It was common practice among some musicians to disconnect the bass rotor as they felt it interfered with certain frequencies - this was usualy guitarists who only wanted the top rotor

Most Hammond players I know (me included) did this - if you're playing organ bass, you really *don't* want it muddied up with any sort of modulation, especially with the Leslie(s) (I used a 147 and 760 combo) running in trem / fast mode.

• Members

Originally posted by unbeliever

Most Hammond players I know (me included) did this - if you're playing organ bass, you really *don't* want it muddied up with any sort of modulation, especially with the Leslie(s) (I used a 147 and 760 combo) running in trem / fast mode.

Not surprising, as I said it was fairly common practice but there were many who left it stock also and got incredible FULL sounds ... take the Leslie sound on Born to Be Wild - that's classic bass rotor overdrive! Also people like Groove Holmes - I have a vinyl album that you can't get anywhere on CD that's just the most vicious hammond album and the coolest and it's stock bass & twitter Leslie stuff ... infact I might have to get this burnt to CD and send you a copy ... you would definately LOVE IT!!!

• Members

Originally posted by shipatsea

I'm looking at either the songworks or the whirligig for my rhodes and have no way of playing either one first.

The whirligig is optimised for use with a guitar, not keyboards. No idea what it sounds like with a Rhodes, but my experience so far of running keyboards thru them (I make the Whirligig) is that it sounds poor.

The pedal is designed to simulate the sound a single-rotor cab, like the Vibr*tone (think SRV); it's not a full-blown Leslie-a-like.

Archived