Any Les Paul players?

Elliott Damage

• Members
I absolutely love my LP, according to the serial number it could either be a 68-69 or mid 70's one, which are not the most desired. I don't care which it is as I love the f'n thing. It's not just a guitar, it's a deadly weapon.
:thu:

However, my Strat gets played the most.

Hey Bro.If your LP has Made in Usa on the back of the headstock it is 70 or later.Mid 70's gibsons had a sticker for the serial number.:thu:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hey Bro.If your LP has Made in Usa on the back of the headstock it is 70 or later.Mid 70's gibsons had a sticker for the serial number.

Thanks man. I've looked through books, talked to guys "in the know", even got a buddy of mine that sold exotic wood to Gibson to ask at the custom shop for me, and have recieved nothing but conflicting info. Guy at the custom shop supposadly said May of '71 is when it was made.

It does say Made in USA and the serial number is embossed (barely legible), not a sticker. However it has the three piece, non-figured top, and sandwich body. :confused:

Also, the badge says Standard, but supposadly Gibson didn't make any standards in '70 unless they were special ordered is another thing I heard from a different source. Could be a Deluxe someone routed for Humbuckers and slapped a Standard badge on the trussrod cover too.

In all reality I don't give a {censored} as I will not part with it till I die, or it dies. Whichever comes first. :thu:

• Members

Thanks man. I've looked through books, talked to guys "in the know", even got a buddy of mine that sold exotic wood to Gibson to ask at the custom shop for me, and have recieved nothing but conflicting info. Guy at the custom shop supposadly said May of '71 is when it was made.

It does say Made in USA and the serial number is embossed (barely legible), not a sticker. However it has the three piece, non-figured top, and sandwich body.
:confused:

Also, the badge says Standard, but supposadly Gibson didn't make any standards in '70 unless they were special ordered is another thing I heard from a different source. Could be a Deluxe someone routed for Humbuckers and slapped a Standard badge on the trussrod cover too.

In all reality I don't give a {censored} as I will not part with it till I die, or it dies. Whichever comes first.

When Walter Carter was at Gibson I used him to id one of my les pauls.It is a 68 goldtop with T-top Humbuckers in it.Factory SO.They didn't make those either. Your Pot codes should help date the guitar.Is your serial # in the 600000 range?

here is the Gold Top

93760918.jpg

• Members
mylespaul.jpg

It's a '68. Used to belong to my dad. The pickups sound so old and noisy. I love it. It plays like a dream. The neck it like a tree trunk, which i love. It's just weird to go from this to my jazzmaster neck. I get over it quickly though.

ohh mannnnN!!!

damn nice guitar!!!!

• Members

I have a LP Classic in light sunburst. It was my main guitar for the last few years but I use it in my band tuned to drop C so I play my nitefly alot more nowadays. I only play doom in my band otherwise I like my nice clean tones so drop C isn't all that useful, I'd like to play it more but I get it profesionally set up in C every so often, so I don;t like to {censored} around tuning it up and down.

Archived