This 13 year old kid came to test out my amp today...

Zlandicar

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
A semi-cheap Marshall half stack. I'd just sold it to him on eBay, and I told him to bring his own guitar to test it with since I'm a lefty. He replies "No problem, got it covered."

So today he shows up with a HUGE ATA case, and I go, "Nice case, what's inside?" He sits it down in front of the amp, opens it, and inside was a Ram's Head Muff, Analogman KOT and Sun Face, Boss CE-1, FIVE Moogs, a Foxrox Captain Coconut, a custom painted ZVex Box of Rock and a {censored}ing CJOD!

He goes back out to his dad's car and brings in his guitar (a NICE PRS covered in hardcore punk band stickers
:mad:
) and starts making noises... first he goes guitar -> amp... and I'm expecting some kind of impressive shred show, but no. He played the intro to Thunderstruck and a few scales. Then he played random-ass intervals for about 10 minutes with the amp cranked, making the most god-awful, trebly noise I've ever heard.

He looks impressed with the amp, so I tell him to hook his pedalboard up, and he plugs it ALL into the input. Choruses, modulation, everything. This is with the marshall on the OD2 channel with the gain set to 20. Then he starts playing again, and of course it's coming out garbled as all hell and sounding terrible because of the way it's hooked up (his playing didn't help, either) and he just has this big {censored}-eating grin on his face, and keeps talking about how great it sounds.

I had to shove a Q-tip in my brain to take my mind off this.

man, i know how stupid this sounds....but don't let your spite show through when kids are buying your stuff because they're INTERESTED.
their music sounds like {censored}, and they do riffs you think are the stupidest {censored} ever...but they're using what they're given and they're doing something.
why hate on it?
it's a process. you learn as you go. and sometimes, all it takes is one thing to set a new creative thing off. there's always someone better than you, but it's not a static chart.

it's messed up, but an amp i thought was a really stupid thing to let go of, i got to watch a small cycle of it come around last week.
I sold a mid-70s silverface Bassman 60 head for $65 to some terrible punk rock acoustic freak chick who played the most awful music ever through it.
but last week, i watched a local band who is amazing blow through their set. and i was familiar enough with the girl bassplayer to ask her a question : who made you want to play.
and it was this girl who i sold this Fender head to. i couldn't really connect on that with the girl who told me that's who made her pick up a guitar and start, but that was her answer.

so it was 8 years in the making, but there it was all the same. someone who makes something amazing out of something i thought was stupid.

so what do i know?

• Members

depending on the family and such, getting nice stuff isn't that hard as a kid. i have a couple thousand dollars of guitar {censored} and i have a terrible income (10 bucks a week allowance) but with no expenses whatsoever and cool parents, racking up the {censored} isn't hard to do. i can't use any of my stuff to its full potential, hopefully i'm better than that kid though :)

• Members
Not to be an ass, but why are you proud they never supported you? I understand pride in earning it yourself, but parents should always support.

I periodically thank mine for buying me two saxophones and my first guitar and amp. Seriously, there are far worse things kids can do other than (attempting) to make music in the basement with friends.
:)

Well, I didn't word that correctly. I meant I'm proud that I bought it all myself...

It's not like my parents weren't supportive in almost everything else I did growing up, but they've never understood me playing music. I didn't take up guitar until I was almost 16 and never showed any interest in playing music before that. They only saw it as a distraction to everything I previously enjoyed...and it was, sort of...

I mean, I probably would have gotten a lot of scholarship money to play golf in college before I more or less gave it up. It just didn't mean anything to me after I discovered music. I pretty much gave up painting too...

To this day, they still can't believe I spend any time being in a band and writing music (this is coming from two of the biggest music lovers I know too). They think I should graduate from school, get a real job, and maybe play in a cover band by the time I'm 40. That's just not why I play music...

So, enough of me bitching...

Yeah, my parents giving me thousands of dollars worth of instruments would have been cool, but it wouldn't have made me enjoy music more, or made me more proficient at my instrument. I taught myself everything I know about guitar, equipment, tone, and how to be in a band. Though, it's possible I could be better now had I had full support from my parents, it's most likely made me appreciate it that much more...

• Members

I think I understand. :thu: I definately understand pride in earning something or learning something all by yourself, I'm a big believe in hard work = success.

The most important thing to remember about music is that it's all about enjoyment, if you are enjoying it that's the most important thing.

• Members
A semi-cheap Marshall half stack. I'd just sold it to him on eBay, and I told him to bring his own guitar to test it with since I'm a lefty. He replies "No problem, got it covered."

So today he shows up with a HUGE ATA case, and I go, "Nice case, what's inside?" He sits it down in front of the amp, opens it, and inside was a Ram's Head Muff, Analogman KOT and Sun Face, Boss CE-1, FIVE Moogs, a Foxrox Captain Coconut, a custom painted ZVex Box of Rock and a {censored}ing CJOD!

He goes back out to his dad's car and brings in his guitar (a NICE PRS covered in hardcore punk band stickers
) and starts making noises... first he goes guitar -> amp... and I'm expecting some kind of impressive shred show, but no. He played the intro to Thunderstruck and a few scales. Then he played random-ass intervals for about 10 minutes with the amp cranked, making the most god-awful, trebly noise I've ever heard.

He looks impressed with the amp, so I tell him to hook his pedalboard up, and he plugs it ALL into the input. Choruses, modulation, everything. This is with the marshall on the OD2 channel with the gain set to 20. Then he starts playing again, and of course it's coming out garbled as all hell and sounding terrible because of the way it's hooked up (his playing didn't help, either) and he just has this big {censored}-eating grin on his face, and keeps talking about how great it sounds.

noobs.

• Members

i see that all the time man

i've paid for all my instruments

Archived