This 13 year old kid came to test out my amp today...

Zlandicar

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Young people are inexperienced and ignorant. And some have rich parents.

I have friend who is rich. He's 17 and is a decent player (AIC style stuff)

and he has a

'97 '57 LP Custom

Fender American Tele

Fender Showmaster Strat

Gibson Flying V Faded

BC Rich Mockingbird

and he had a Gibby LP Custom, but he sold it...

all that goes into a JCM800 and he also has a Crate Blue Voodoo 1/2 stack

• Members

The only thing that having nice gear means is that somebody's got money.

I've seen amazing players who were down on their luck cutting heads with {censored} gear, and Donald Trump could buy all the boutique ampz, pedalz, and guitarz in the world, and it wouldn't make him a player.

The only time that "taste" in gear comes into play is when someone is on a very limited budget but still has nice, unique stuff that they make the most of. Having enough dough to buy whatever expensive {censored} you want on a whim doesn't mean taste.

That's why there's so many black Mercedes and yellow Hummers rolling around.

• Members

A semi-cheap Marshall half stack. I'd just sold it to him on eBay, and I told him to bring his own guitar to test it with since I'm a lefty. He replies "No problem, got it covered."

So today he shows up with a HUGE ATA case, and I go, "Nice case, what's inside?" He sits it down in front of the amp, opens it, and inside was a Ram's Head Muff, Analogman KOT and Sun Face, Boss CE-1, FIVE Moogs, a Foxrox Captain Coconut, a custom painted ZVex Box of Rock and a {censored}ing CJOD!

He goes back out to his dad's car and brings in his guitar (a NICE PRS covered in hardcore punk band stickers
:mad:
) and starts making noises... first he goes guitar -> amp... and I'm expecting some kind of impressive shred show, but no. He played the intro to Thunderstruck and a few scales. Then he played random-ass intervals for about 10 minutes with the amp cranked, making the most god-awful, trebly noise I've ever heard.

He looks impressed with the amp, so I tell him to hook his pedalboard up, and he plugs it ALL into the input. Choruses, modulation, everything. This is with the marshall on the OD2 channel with the gain set to 20. Then he starts playing again, and of course it's coming out garbled as all hell and sounding terrible because of the way it's hooked up (his playing didn't help, either) and he just has this big {censored}-eating grin on his face, and keeps talking about how great it sounds.

I had to shove a Q-tip in my brain to take my mind off this.

i need this kid in my band. we could make some beautiful space metal. :freak:

• Members

The only words the dad spoke the whole time were "You're mother's gonna hate you."

Boy, is that true.
:rolleyes:

That's a given...

...I'm pretty sure the whole family hate each other.

He'll be snorting drugs by the age of 15. Hey, I wonder if he's one of the new members around here?:p:D:o

• Members

I've seen amazing players who were down on their luck cutting heads with {censored} gear, and Donald Trump could buy all the boutique ampz, pedalz, and guitarz in the world, and it wouldn't make him a player.

The only time that "taste" in gear comes into play is when someone is on a very limited budget but still has nice, unique stuff that they make the most of. Having enough dough to buy whatever expensive {censored} you want on a whim doesn't mean taste.

+1000000

• Members

Reminds me of the story I read on Steven Seagal (in Guitar Player a few months ago, I think) where he was bragging about his extensive collection of vintage guitars and discussing his latest album with a bunch of old-time blues greats.

I suppose I shouldn't draw any conclusions without ever listening to one of his albums, but ... well, actually I feel totally fine leaping to conclusions here.

• Members
Reminds me of the story I read on Steven Seagal (in Guitar Player a few months ago, I think) where he was bragging about his extensive collection of vintage guitars and discussing his latest album with a bunch of old-time blues greats.

I suppose I shouldn't draw any conclusions without ever listening to one of his albums, but ... well, actually I feel totally fine leaping to conclusions here.

I suspect he might be pretty decent...

...given that he has failed at acting.:wave:

• Members

my buddy karl's little brother used to play drums in a band with a kid like that, he put stickers on his taylor acoustic! The upside to the story is that my friend karl went over his house, and the kid gave him an MXR Dynacomp, and a vintage script logo phase 45 just because "he doesn't use them any more" I think he gave him something else too.

• Members
my buddy karl's little brother used to play drums in a band with a kid like that, he put stickers
on his taylor acoustic!
The upside to the story is that my friend karl went over his house, and the kid gave him an MXR Dynacomp, and a vintage script logo phase 45 just because "he doesn't use them any more" I think he gave him something else too.

Did he give him a "Haunting Midrift" ? :love:

• Members
A semi-cheap Marshall half stack. I'd just sold it to him on eBay, and I told him to bring his own guitar to test it with since I'm a lefty. He replies "No problem, got it covered."

So today he shows up with a HUGE ATA case, and I go, "Nice case, what's inside?" He sits it down in front of the amp, opens it, and inside was a Ram's Head Muff, Analogman KOT and Sun Face, Boss CE-1, FIVE Moogs, a Foxrox Captain Coconut, a custom painted ZVex Box of Rock and a {censored}ing CJOD!

He goes back out to his dad's car and brings in his guitar (a NICE PRS covered in hardcore punk band stickers
) and starts making noises... first he goes guitar -> amp... and I'm expecting some kind of impressive shred show, but no. He played the intro to Thunderstruck and a few scales. Then he played random-ass intervals for about 10 minutes with the amp cranked, making the most god-awful, trebly noise I've ever heard.

He looks impressed with the amp, so I tell him to hook his pedalboard up, and he plugs it ALL into the input. Choruses, modulation, everything. This is with the marshall on the OD2 channel with the gain set to 20. Then he starts playing again, and of course it's coming out garbled as all hell and sounding terrible because of the way it's hooked up (his playing didn't help, either) and he just has this big {censored}-eating grin on his face, and keeps talking about how great it sounds.

I had to shove a Q-tip in my brain to take my mind off this.

ISN'T IT GREAT?

:D:wave:

Archived