This 13 year old kid came to test out my amp today...

Zlandicar

• Members

A semi-cheap Marshall half stack. I'd just sold it to him on eBay, and I told him to bring his own guitar to test it with since I'm a lefty. He replies "No problem, got it covered."

So today he shows up with a HUGE ATA case, and I go, "Nice case, what's inside?" He sits it down in front of the amp, opens it, and inside was a Ram's Head Muff, Analogman KOT and Sun Face, Boss CE-1, FIVE Moogs, a Foxrox Captain Coconut, a custom painted ZVex Box of Rock and a {censored}ing CJOD!

He goes back out to his dad's car and brings in his guitar (a NICE PRS covered in hardcore punk band stickers :mad:) and starts making noises... first he goes guitar -> amp... and I'm expecting some kind of impressive shred show, but no. He played the intro to Thunderstruck and a few scales. Then he played random-ass intervals for about 10 minutes with the amp cranked, making the most god-awful, trebly noise I've ever heard.

He looks impressed with the amp, so I tell him to hook his pedalboard up, and he plugs it ALL into the input. Choruses, modulation, everything. This is with the marshall on the OD2 channel with the gain set to 20. Then he starts playing again, and of course it's coming out garbled as all hell and sounding terrible because of the way it's hooked up (his playing didn't help, either) and he just has this big {censored}-eating grin on his face, and keeps talking about how great it sounds.

I had to shove a Q-tip in my brain to take my mind off this. :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A semi-cheap Marshall half stack. I'd just sold it to him on eBay, and I told him to bring his own guitar to test it with since I'm a lefty. He replies "No problem, got it covered."

So today he shows up with a HUGE ATA case, and I go, "Nice case, what's inside?" He sits it down in front of the amp, opens it, and inside was a Ram's Head Muff, Analogman KOT and Sun Face, Boss CE-1, FIVE Moogs, a Foxrox Captain Coconut, a custom painted ZVex Box of Rock and a {censored}ing CJOD!

He goes back out to his dad's car and brings in his guitar (a NICE PRS covered in hardcore punk band stickers
:mad:
) and starts making noises... first he goes guitar -> amp... and I'm expecting some kind of impressive shred show, but no. He played the intro to Thunderstruck and a few scales. Then he played random-ass intervals for about 10 minutes with the amp cranked, making the most god-awful, trebly noise I've ever heard.

He looks impressed with the amp, so I tell him to hook his pedalboard up, and he plugs it ALL into the input. Choruses, modulation, everything. This is with the marshall on the OD2 channel with the gain set to 20. Then he starts playing again, and of course it's coming out garbled as all hell and sounding terrible because of the way it's hooked up (his playing didn't help, either) and he just has this big {censored}-eating grin on his face, and keeps talking about how great it sounds.

I had to shove a Q-tip in my brain to take my mind off this.

littlehorneyfenderboy'd + fiestypirhahan'd tag team cock punch

• Members

I just don't understand people that will spend that kind of crazy money, when it doesn't sound any better (for them) than the $100 practice amp I started off with.

much of the uber boutique stuff DOESN'T sound good for beginners, you really have to know how to play. That's why kids love the metal zone, it sounds "just like the cd" and has NO dynamics to it.

• Members

Made me cringe...

Surely 13 was an exaggeration
:freak:

No, he was 13 all right. He called me three or four times before showing up (It was quite a drive for his dad) and said he was 13 in order to explain why he couldn't drive here himself. He also looked the part, for sure.

Archived