This 13 year old kid came to test out my amp today...

Zlandicar

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Could be he already destroyed something good so he's buying something that can take some abuse now . . .

how easy is it to actually break an amp? not very even if you are a kid.

besides if the kid and his dad can throw around money like they sound like they can why would they not just go meh we'll buy you a new one?

• Members

not that my bull{censored} radar is going off big time here but a kid with a prs and a board full of proper boutique pedals goes for a cheap 2nd hand marshall valvestate?........

After seeing Nickelback's "Photograph" video, I'll believe almost anything.

• Members
Could be he already destroyed something good so he's buying something that can take some abuse now . . .

I didn't ask about it. I'm not about to question the logic of a 13 year old when I'm in need of money and he's got it. That said, his guitar and pedals were in pristine condition, other than the adornments. He didn't seem to be the type who kicks his stuff around.

Besides, cheap doesn't mean low quality. The 1960A is arguably the best cab Marshall makes, and for what it is, the 8100 is an excellent head.

And for all I know all that expensive stuff on his board is his dad's. I might post a lot of random {censored} on this forum but that's a lot different than outright lying. It's not just a different ballpark, it's a different game. So you doubters can piss off. :wave:

• Members

how easy is it to actually break an amp? not very even if you are a kid.

besides if the kid and his dad can throw around money like they sound like they can why would they not just go meh we'll buy you a new one?

It's pretty easy to damage a head, especially if you don't plug a cab into it.

Not that I know if Z is bull{censored}ting or not, but there were a couple of metal groups who actually used the valvestates.

If it was really his dad's board, it would make a lot more sense. Besides, when kids see the words marshall and valve, they automatically assume it's good.

• Members

Ouch...

I even grew up around a lot of money, but I didn't know a single kid who had a nice amp or guitar all through high school (four years ago?)...

I remember when I was a senior and this one dude, who was a year older than me, bought a Rickenbacher and a Super Reverb--that was a HUGE deal. I was playing a solid state Peavey 2x12 combo with a $200 Epi LP (that I put a bunch of stickers on...) at the time...

I bought my Marshall and an Avatar cab when I was a freshman in college after researching amps for two years. Those decisions don't come easy when your parents (rich or not) don't support your music. They've never laid a dime down for any of my musical equipment and I'm proud of that...

• Members

Hey, I'm 20 and I just got out of the military (National Call to Service program, only obligates you to 2 years), and even on those terrible wages, I managed to acquire everything I've ever talked about having on this forum (something like $27,000 in gear, accessories, maintenance, etc, all spendage accounted for) within the space of the last year and a half. I had a pretty low standard of living, but I was dedicated to playing, and I made it work. Even my first few pedals easily could have rivaled stuff on that kid's board, and I never went through any "Boss is the {censored}" stage. I have never played a Metal Zone or Tube Screamer. Maybe I'm an anomaly here, just like this story, but...

• Members
Those decisions don't come easy when your parents (rich or not) don't support your music. They've never laid a dime down for any of my musical equipment and I'm proud of that...

Not to be an ass, but why are you proud they never supported you? I understand pride in earning it yourself, but parents should always support.

I periodically thank mine for buying me two saxophones and my first guitar and amp. Seriously, there are far worse things kids can do other than (attempting) to make music in the basement with friends. :)

• Members
Not to be an ass, but why are you proud they never supported you? I understand pride in earning it yourself, but parents should always support.

I periodically thank mine for buying me two saxophones and my first guitar and amp. Seriously, there are far worse things kids can do other than (attempting) to make music in the basement with friends.
:)

Exactly. Music is a great thing for parents to encourage and support! Definitely no shame in that.

Archived