April/May new kit thread

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was going to wait until I posted this but Happy B-Day to me :D

photo0301ewr8.jpg

photo0302epr3.jpg

I wasn't even looking to buy this, but this just kind of fell in my lap. I'm sure glad I did though because this thing is knocking the pants off me. The sounds are way Way better than I expected.

(sorry for the crappy pics, I put my money in synths not techy toys)

• Members
Agreed, awesome pic.

I had no idea the Ion lit up like that... wow - I might have to buy one of those. I like the lights!

Thanks stickygum and keybdwizrd - yup, it sure is beautiful at night haha.

Also, the red ends match the red of my Nord Electro perfectly - what are the chances.....haha :D

Am going to record a vid soon and upload it so stay tuned...

• Members
Studio.jpg

Ok, I'm finally ready to show my studio off after several major upgrades. From left to right: that little keyboard on the table is just an Edirol PCR-M1 I toy around with... that space is reserved for a drum pad controller (such as the upcoming Yamaha DD-65). In the center are my two latest aquisitions: the Yamaha CP-300 digital piano (bottom) and the Access Virus TI Polar on top (courtesy of droolmaster0). On either side of the Virus are JBL LSR4326P monitors and above the Virus is a nice widescreen Dell monitor. Between the keyboards is a Behringer mixer (bleh, but it works). On the right is a Novation X-Station 49, and just to the left of that is a Roland Vk8m organ module. Below is a Yamaha 9000 Pro arranger.

Note the cool blue QWERTY keyboard under the digital piano... I forget where I got that but it's very useful when I'm working with the lights dimmed. :cool:

• Members

I feel so unambitious when I see this thread. Oh well.

I've added Pianoteq 2 (free upgrade) and am spending lots o' time on that. Just playing with the sounds and checking how they combine with others. Spent ages mapping it to my controller but very worth it.

Also, though it's hardly kit, I'm putting some money into lessons with a local organist (he does church/classical & pop--I'm looking for help with technique, memory and approach). One lesson done and I'm looking forward to more.

• Members

Well, the Novation X-Station X25 worked for about 30 minutes and then died. I could not find a factory reset procedure. I returned it for a $407 refund. I can not remember the last time I had to return an item.

Sadly, I have $17 in batteries and a $35 case that I can not return.

Well, this $407 will be targeted at some new gadget. I'm thinkin' about a $2800 V-Synth GT.

• Members

Revised purchase list for April/May:

Moog CP-251

Modcan B VCO

Modcan B VCDO

Modcan B EG

Modcan B Dual VCA

Wiard Boogie Filter (to replace the one that I missed when I sold my Frac system)

I'll be converting the Boogie Filter to large format to go with the Modcan/MOTM/Moog system that I'm building.

• Members
Thanks, guys
;)

Flat: you're right, the DSS-1 was (and still is) the original sample mangler - I recently got some old Music & Technology magazines and read a DSS-1 review from 1986, and got intrigued... then read other reviews, the manual.. and I had to have it. The fact that I'm very fond of lower-bit samplers (my trusty Roland W-30 has been with me for 17 years) also eased my decision
:D
What's next, a Mirage?
:eek:

Absolutely, Don... I'll have demos of the original disks, and will also make my own patches. I'll let you know when the page's up
;)

It's definitely a "big beast" machine, ElectricPuppy
I'm curious to hear the filter, and the double DDLs.

Oh. The V-Synth should be an okay machine, too

I've got a DSS-1 as well as a Mirage, and although they are both early digital samplers, they really could not be more different in character. The DSS-1, as you will discover, is a very refined machine - even given it's 21-year vintage, it's evident it was designed as a professional instrument. The filters have a glassy smoothness to them, and the DDLs do much to lend to a rich stereo image. And at it's maximum sampling rate of 48KHz, the quality of the samples is actually quite good, with the slight quantization noise barely evident, and a limited transposition range keeping interpolation artifacts at a minimum.

The Mirage, on the other hand, is aggressive, wet, dirty, distorted, noisy, and full of artifacts. It actually sounds totally unique and IMHO what it offers is very worth having, but it's also a terrible hassle to operate. The DSS-1 is a cakewalk by comparison, with an actual menu system!! One of the most annoying things about it is that it's impossible to create your own disks without already having the formatting disk, and I think even at that there are certain restrictions. The plus side is you can probably find a Mirage rack for like $50 if you're sharp, but you'll probably need some sound disks with the OS on them, and preferably a MASOS disk and the formatting disk. Syntaur is the exclusive distributor of pretty much anything Mirage, and once you factor in the cost of all the equipment you'll probably need, it's not really the bargain it seems.

But it is really, really cool sounding.

Archived