April/May new kit thread

• Members

@scenicsquare

cool for LA-2A. i'm thinking of dual Pultec next. but the transformer/solid state version. my tech will be building all not me. SSL s are finisdhed yet not put in racks n no front panels yet,.

so how is 200 and 60 ? what do they excell at? i was always puzzled by 60, its supposed to have same roots in 224 as 70 does, but perhaps its even more gritty.. maybe nice rooms?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

so how is 200 and 60 ? what do they excell at? i was always puzzled by 60, its supposed to have same roots in 224 as 70 does, but perhaps its even more gritty.. maybe nice rooms?

200 and 60 share some similar charactaristics - i mean, they're both older units and the D/A shows it sonically. The high end on both is definitely a bit more sandy than your newer PCM series, tho i can't really speak to the 300 and 224 as i've not really edited and used them myself.

the 60 i've used more than the 200, mainly at school - kids always go straight for the pcm 90/91 stuff (looks cooler) and i get to sneak on over to the 60 heh. workflow is pretty huge for me, and that little guy makes it so easy to just set up a really decent vocal sound and be done with it.

the 200 is easy to use too, i used that for a demo i tracked/mixed at a local place here in chi. sounded more dense than the 60 by far, and i'm sure it would have more uses in the percussion area (it can do early ref stuff better, not that i use it much hah).

something about that 60 though is just fantastic. i may have to go for that.

• Members
I'd love to do a DIY reverb this summer but we all know how big of a talker I am.
;):D

:blah:

spring, or giant piece of metal?

i'd like to try my hand at the giant piece of metal kind, my carpentry skills might actually be USEFUL in that...

but i'd have to put it on my roof or something.

• Members
Geez, where do you guys get all this money?
:thu:

I bought some RAM for my puter, can run softsynths better. Bought EZdrummer software and another mic. At the end of the month I get my motif es rack and some more software.
:thu:

Sold off an entire Frac/Euro system to fund my new "gear experiments" :) Also have a decent, (nay excellent) job that I've been working up to for the last ten years. However, the sale of my modular, is the main reason for the funding of my new, different, modular setup. I've been doing the gear/software/more gear thing for around 12-15 years now, and all the sales, trading, buying, re-buying, etc. have been narrowing me down to what I'm completely comfortable and happy with. Still have a little way to go, but I'm just about happy.

On one hand, put the tools in front of me, I'll find a way to make them work, and get the "job" or fun done. On the other, experiment until the tools are an exact fit, and the "job" or fun gets done better and faster. I call this exercise refinement of process, tools, and experience. If you think about all the trades, sales, and purchases I've made, yes, I've lost or spent a fair amount of cash, but I've recirculated it pretty well over the years, and put it to good use, and built good experiences with it. I've had tons of gear, but really only respent 75% of the same money.

It all boils down to how much fun I'm having in front of it, if I was to put a price/use ratio on it. Right now, I've traded excellent gear that I was more than happy with, for other gear that makes me equally happy.

Strange process, some may say pointless, but it makes perfect sense to me, and as far as I'm concerned, the correct thing to do.

More of an answer than your were probably aiming at, but I'm in a typative mood. :)

• Members

I've heard the speakers are different than on a 200A, but what about compared to a 200? Is the 200A louder or something? I really like the built in speakers actually, because it gives the instrument a very real presence when being played.
:cool:

Never really played other models, so I can't help you there. But I do know that I like mine better when I play it through an external amp. Sounds more robust.

$700 is a pretty decent price. You may have been able to do better, but I doubt it would have been worth it to try. Invest in a tube preamp & see what that does to the sound!:thu::love:

• Members

Looks like the money for the ADAMs showed up at the right place. I hope they get here this week :)

In the meantime I'm staring with a big grin at my 2 19" widescreen TFTs.

Another addition to the list had to be made:

nysspplxf8.jpg

I'm also looking at this thing, but something will have to go away for it.

pro12qb3.jpg

• Members
Looks like the money for the ADAMs showed up at the right place. I hope they get here this week
:)

In the meantime I'm staring with a big grin at my 2 19" widescreen TFTs.

Another addition to the list had to be made:

nysspplxf8.jpg

I'm also looking at this thing, but something will have to go away for it.

pro12qb3.jpg

Judging by the Scope version of the same synth, I'd say dump any VA you have that you mainly use for analog-style sounds, and use this instead. Like, if perhaps you had a Nord Lead (and use it for analogish duties rather than for a Nord sound,) or something to that effect. The Scope version sounds absolutely incredible, and with a nice interface like that, it would be a lot of fun. Anyway...

• Members

Had to re purchase a EMU command station. lovin it.

Think i got some of the fastest/easiest Seq now

Mono machine

Electribes

Command station

All fast and mostly don't have to stop, scroll thru a menu and start the little f#ckers to do anything.

All with top line grid record!

• Members

Invest in a tube preamp & see what that does to the sound!
:thu::love:

Yeah I still use an external amp and effects chain (my 'foogers), I just like having the built in amp on as well. Something about having some sound coming out of the instrument itself is nice; like if you were playing an acoustic piano or using a leslie, you still have sound right next to you in addition to going out a PA or into a monitor mix etc.

Any preamp you might suggest in particular? I was thinking about getting some kind of tube overdrive pedal, maybe a Vox or something (supposedly dual stage is the way to go?).. I run into my mixer and then into my Eon's, dunno if I want to (basically can't afford to) get a whole amp and cab thing going on yet..

• Members
Working a full-time job does it for me
:)

this is my newest - S90ES... F -N - AWESOME

You know what else is awesome? a yo-yo. Damn. so random, but true
:p

That ting be hugmungus!

I saw teh Smothers Brothers in Vegas (baby) - they know yo (yo!)

• Members

... and the plot thickens. Found a secondhand CW ASB Pro-12 in nice condition; I'm going to try it. If I like it enough, the JP8080 will probably go - if I don't, I figure I can sell it again for the same price.

Steve Winwood-sounds, here I come :D

• Members

Big month for me :)

main purchases were a jomox 999 and an eventide DSP4500.

Also got a couple of pieces to use with the 999.

An ashly MM-508 mixer to use as a submixer for the 999 independent channels (you get to use the VCAs at max for each instrument giving them that cool analog saturated tone)

an urei 7110 compressor set as a parallel compressor in send one of the mixer (send 2 is going to the virus polar for delay/fx)

RNLA on the mixer output to tame the peaks and enable to play around with mixer distortion.
with this setup my drums are smokin' :thu:

The DSP4500 is also a killer board. Everything sounds "radio ready" coming out from it. It's not "fat" or dark like the lexicon. On the contrary I find it very clean and hi-fi, but it makes the sounds sit perfectly in the mix. I was playing around with my guitar going direct through the fireface's inst input and man, the fuzz presets on the DSP are simply amazing. You get that wide larger than life sound that I nevcer was able to get before. I think I'll start using guitars more often in my tracks ;)

The downside to this all is that I also sold my sunsyn. :(

Next GAS inducing idea is to sell the virus and get a LP and half of a MD-UW...

It'll have to wait for the May/June thread though. ;)

• Members
... and the plot thickens. Found a secondhand CW ASB Pro-12 in nice condition; I'm going to try it. If I like it enough, the JP8080 will probably go - if I don't, I figure I can sell it again for the same price.

Steve Winwood-sounds, here I come
:D

That's cool. I've thought about picking one up off and on for a while now. I don't have my Scope system anymore, and really liked the sound of the synths for it. I don't have a hardware poly-synth, so I've been relaxedly trying to decide what would compliment my new modular setup the best. Currently software is filling the gap nicely, but it would be nice to have a poly that I could just sit down at, turn on, and start playing. I'm waiting on the Blofeld specs, and then making a decision. May end up with a CW box, uQ, Nova, or Blofeld. Something smallish, decent poly, etc.

• Members

I fully blame this forum.

I just bought a Rev 4. MKS-80 with the MPG programmer. It really does sound 95% like a Jupiter-6. (which I also own) I wish it could simutaneously output multiple waveforms like the JP-6. But its cool that it can respond to velocity and aftertouch. I must experiment some more.

Its all your fault. You know who you are.

• Members

I missed my Wiard Boogie Filter so much, that I just bought another one. :D There really isn't much like it around. These have been a couple of naughty months for me.

One thing I noticed. All my gear (except the new Boogie,) is 1/4" and I only have about 6-8 cables. I had around 60 for my modular. I definitely need to go pick up more patch cables.

Archived