April/May new kit thread

• Members

Hi Clusterchord,

...curious to hear your opinions (and hopefully audio demos:) ) on the high-end Lexicon 300... I'm thinking to sell my MPX-1 and go for a high-end reverb unit myself, perhaps the Lexicon PCM series, T.C., or one of the Eventides... opinions?
:D

will do. i'm just so busy today and this whole week tryin to meet a deadline. soon as i get to try it out a bit, i'll post u some impressions.

for higher end, depends mostly where u wanna go; if u want multi-fx boards, for mangling, multitap delays, alien space etc.. and having some nice reverb on board too - PCM-81 with Dual FX card (allows modularity/routing), Eventide Eclipse, dsp4000, or if you feel spendy Eve dsp7500 (one half of Orville). then there's TC M3000 which, beside host of mod fx, gives you an excellent VSS3 reverb.

otoh, if u r shooting for straight reverb box i.e. all DSP devoted to HQ reverb - PCM-91 can be had in vicinity of grand, and that i feel makes it best-buy in lush surreal reverb. otoh for realistic spaces u have TC's Reverb 4000 - reverb only, but has M3000 and M6000 reverb algorithms, plus extras like EMT and AMS non-linear etc. its a swiss knife of realistic high end reverbs, from ultra small spaces to halls. two very diffferent sounds and applications. hence many smaller and project studios have the PCM91+M3000 combo.. i went with slight variant of this - Reverb4000 plus 300. since 300 has dual engine, huge reverb but some multi fx capabilities with ton of delay taps.. it technically falls in both groups.

also, i have PCM70 which is a class of its own. not smooth, yet it works magic on many sources and cuts thru the mix. it has the "old" lexicon sound, with converters n algos giving lot of character n colorisation. vocals, drums, lead guitars, some keys etc.. u can't miss. only thing left on my rev/fx list is some sort of eventide mod fx powerhouse. one day perhaps.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

my new gear thread is about $1000 worth of orders to mouser, digikey, parmetal, Front panel express, and about 5 other online or surplus spots and in the end...

A LA2A, 2 1176 Rev D, and a Pulteq Pe1Q type EQ

• Members

Oh, yeah, I also bought Korg's EXB Studio Essentials board. Sounds great - horns are better than the original Triton set, and the choir is to die for.

But still the lowly circuit board is no match for the sexy kits of clusterchord and Paolo...

• Members

Oh the torture! My ring modulator showed up this morning before I left for work. There was a huge struggle in my brain about whether to go to work or not, whether to go in just a bit late, but no... I chose to be responsible. Damnit! :D CP-251 should arrive on Monday, who knows when the MOTM ADSR will show, and then some time in May the ModCan VCDO should arrive. Then I shall place some more ModCan orders. (and probably have to wait until mid-summer to get them :( ) I think even just what I've started with though is going to keep me busy for a while. (especially the VCDO)

• Members

Here's a quick clip of the MF-102 Ring Modulator and the LP together. It's just a little test clip, nothing special. It's me tweaking the carrier knobs, and then toward the middle I switch the LFO to square, and bump the LFO level up a little bit. The overdrive is a combination of the LP's filter overdrive (set around 60-70%) and the drive on the MF-102 itself.

I'm fairly certain now that my big modular swap and format change will be worthwhile. (Aside from cheesy repeating bassline ringmod tests like this, it actually getting me playing physically again, and not just dumping ideas into a grid via mouse.) :) Now I just need my other modules, (being built) and perhaps a MachineDrum. :D

http://home.comcast.net/~r3cogniz3r/MF102.mp3

• Members

J3RK- Have you got the delay yet? It's a must have!

My new kit- expanded Nord G2...much like my trips to McDonald's, I'm lovin' it!

I've been trying to decide between that delay, and the ModCan Super Delay (30b) since I have some ModCan on the way already. I really don't know what I'd use an 8 second delay for, but the Modcan does have that going for it, and it's a little less $. Both are still pretty expensive, so I may wait on them for a little bit.

• Members

Ain't it great?!
:thu:

Oh. My. Yes. :thu: Wonderful. I got it delivered on Friday. I haven't played this much in months. It's so much like a little piano! Very different sound, of course, but I love the action and the expressiveness of the sound. It's a 206 that's been removed from the base and I have a different 200(?) style pedal in place of the pedal guts that were in the base. $700. A bit more than I would have wanted to spend but it's in pretty good shape; I plan to put some time into fine tuning the action and then look into some other mods. I've heard the speakers are different than on a 200A, but what about compared to a 200? Is the 200A louder or something? I really like the built in speakers actually, because it gives the instrument a very real presence when being played. :cool:

• Members

yes thanks to mr. clusterchord and his INTERFERENCE into my gear-buying habits, a friend and i have felt the need to purchase 4 PCB kits for the SSL stereo buss compressor (the gyraf one).

also, the console i purchased last month is still being added to in the cable department.

i made 2 active DI's earlier this week.

• Members
Just got the ModFX pHiLtRe, thanks to this thread!
:D
I've been looking for the modFX at a good price, and $29 w/ free shipping is perfect.

You got the philtre, or the phlngr? If it's the philtre, I'd be very happy to know where you discovered that sweet deal. :)

• Members
yes i would rather like the Bitrman, if anyone runs across those for cheap lemme know...

the only hardware standalone sample-rate reducer i know of!

Nord Modular (maybe) or G2.

Plus a simple sample hold and clock/oscillator is what you need if you want just a sample rate reducer. Its the bit quantizing that's a bit more challenging in the analog world. ;)

• Members

yes thanks to mr. clusterchord and his INTERFERENCE into my gear-buying habits, a friend and i have felt the need to purchase 4 PCB kits for the SSL stereo buss compressor (the gyraf one).

ooops

sorry bout that :D :D so, which version will you be making ? using the replacement THAT vcas, or will you try to buy some dBX 220 originals?

im making both kinds ("Country aeeeeend Western.."). i bought several original VCAs coming from an 1979 MCI console. THAT is supposed to be tad cleaner and thinner, whereas dBX gives you more saturation and colorisation. first is good for synths n vox, second for drums and bass. rough aproximation of course.

i know you can buy dBX on prodigy pro or eBay, from time to time. if you're making more units i think you should definetely look into this - the PCB is absolutely the same. also, i bought some transformers for i/o to do complete galvanic separation and add even more juice on one of the units w dBX's.

so, what have u decided for reverb. im liking my 300 more n more, but as with every outboard i bought in the past, itll take some time to figure out where it exactly excells at so i can automate the decision process whihc reverb box to use.

cheers

Tom

Guest Anonymous
yes i would rather like the Bitrman, if anyone runs across those for cheap lemme know...

the only hardware standalone sample-rate reducer i know of!

Have you seen the Frostwave Sonic Alienator?

sonicalienatorho3.jpg

• Members

so, what have u decided for reverb. im liking my 300 more n more, but as with every outboard i bought in the past, itll take some time to figure out where it exactly excells at so i can automate the decision process whihc reverb box to use.

well, eventually i'd still like a 200. i have a very specific application for must of my units, just because my gear is all meant to record just me n the band, and i know that would sound fantastic - but the pcm60 is looking tempting as well. i like the sound of both units a lot.

right now i've picked up a yamaha spx990 (borrowed from a friend) and an ADA delay, adding to what i've got already i'm okay. i think i may stock up on some more cheap-ish lo-fi digitals, and then shoot for the 60 when i'm well set up with compressors and pres.

said friend let me borrow a slew of dBX 160x's and a 163, as well! i think i might have to get a pair... they sound pretty decent.

Archived