The BEST

Zachman

• Members
The best = realising what happened in the eighties stays in the eighties.

like midi, and digital effects, or the evolution which led to the pedals and rack effects, and recording techology which exist today, as a result of what happened then? I'd have to disagree. :idea:

• Members

whatever costs the most?
:confused:

:lol: Not for me, but to some, I'm sure that is in there somewhere. Though sometimes that tends to be the case, where you actually get what you pay for. It certainly is with recording consoles like Neve, SSL etc...

• Members

"Best" doesn't really mean anything to me since my own attitudes and tastes change all the time.

For me it's (in order of inspection):
- apparent build quality (ie. reliability, but not always)
- intuitiveness of design (ie. ease of use, low learning curve)
- can make sound/s that makes me smile...like House Lice says...does it make me feel inspired to play through it? :D
- then finally an assessment of whether the price is reasonable based on the above

• Members

I think it comes down to application. I used to play a dual recto and swore by it; now I could care less about that amp and would rarely use it if I still owned it. Humbuckers used to be the be all end all for me but since I changed styles of music I mostly use single coils and don't have a need for the HB. If the situation call for it, then it's the best.

• Members

I think it comes down to application. I used to play a dual recto and swore by it; now I could care less about that amp and would rarely use it if I still owned it. Humbuckers used to be the be all end all for me but since I changed styles of music I mostly use single coils and don't have a need for the HB. If the situation call for it, then it's the best.

Heh, that was the bit I was trying to think of...without a clear need for the gear, it doesn't matter how good it is...

...the market is full of top notch gear, but one definition of "best" surely must include, 'is very useful' to the player.

• Members

best = sounds like the sound I've been chasing in my head.

When I sought a certain delay sound, I went with a cheap, unreliable piece from the 80's. Used ADA S-1000. sometimes it has a mind of its own, but damn it, it sounds EXACTLY like the intro to "You're in Love". It has a killer gritty sound without adding a high fizz to the echos like my newer midi-enabled roland and rocktron stuff.

"You take the midnight subway train....!!"

damn I love that song.

• Members

for me, it has to be easy to use, and NOT cause compulsive knob or menu tweaking. I want to play my guitar...

Im not necessarily a set and forget kind of guy, but if i cant get what im looking for in about 20 seconds it's not worth wasting my time with..

so bye bye flanger hoax... bye bye rack gear... bye bye real time plug-ins that dont work straight after installing... i dont have time for that {censored}.

• Members

Agreed (fidelity) is a factor for me too

Fidelity???

Electric guitar tone (and modern amp design) is more or less built specifically around the sound of pathetically outdated lo-fi technology abjectly failing to faithfully reproduce its source.

Archived