Buzzsaw distortion

hugbot

• Members

2 suggestions.

-whatever decent mean pedal + Zvex MACHINE!!! you won't look back...but the Machine might cost you a leg.

-MidFi Electronics ' Random Number Generator. At first I thought it was a simple random arpeggiator pedal but man, its probably the decay fuzz of doom in a box. much cheaper than the Machine. It often reminded me of the blasted out parts of Year Zero. (the online sample don't do justice)

I bought the latter @ the same time as Year Zero came out, had a ball making my amp "explode" with the RNG. It basically pushes your amp like a perverted boost and the random arpeggiation just makes it crumble and decay even more in a gorgeous fashion.

I can also point the Effector 13 Soda Meiser (and "cousin pedals"). Hooked it up with say a grunge pedal - it can easily nail "Wish" if you're into that type of sound.

• Members

+1 for octave (up) fuzz (Boss FZ-2, Danelectro French Toast, and/or Fender Blender custom) or a Foxrox Octron, especially if you cascade either with something else. The Alesis Bitrman (bit reducer) or Ineko (Grinder effect) can also yield some musical, yet nasty results when placed before or after a number of different dirtboxes. The Ibanez FZ7 may be another decent option, as it has a toggle switch that can adjust how "broken" it sounds. Last, but certainly not least, it is possible to get some pretty frazzled, but usable fuzz tones with fuzzfaces that have bias controls ... or you could always use an EQ pedal to emphasize excruciating frequencies.

• Members

Can someone ecommend the nastiest sounding distortion you've found? Good nasty, not "useless and fizzy" nasty.

This is going to depend on your preferences! For example I don't find the Rat (or Muff) to be very nasty, it's surprisingly natural, but on a subtle level (fizz not allowed) just maybe ... Ampeg Scrambler would be more like it, its clang overwhelms any fizz. Superfuzzes, octaves, modified fuzzfaces it all depends on what you can take :evil:

Of course I will always recommend my own Subzombie, etc. pedals, for what you ask especially the pedal at lower gain into a tube amp, to controllably crunch it out. But there are many combinations, sometimes stacking it will seem all fizz, until the spot is found something cancels out and a pure wooden feedback comes leaping sideways out of the sound. Or into a clean amp by itself it can sound nice or transcend fizz.

Archived