best 70's classic rock pedal

modeerf

• Members

MARSHALL SHREDMASTER, sounds like a marshall amp is a stompbox

I beg to differ here, but even if so, the Shredmaster is anything BUT the 70's classic rock tone.

If you want to go the Marshall pedal route, get an original Guv'nor MK I (the black box with the red stripes).

The 70's had way too many classic rock / Marshall tones for any single pedal to capture them all IMO. :)

One that I think really nails that classic Mick Ralphs 70's Marshall tone is the Lovetone Brown Source - especially if you slam the front of it a bit with a booster or another overdrive pedal. But they're rather expensive, and they're out of production. :(

• Members

True, but the 70's classic rock tone was not buzzy high gain (like the Shredmaster), aside from Alice Cooper's "School's Out" tone maybe.

Most of the people identify 70's classic rock tone with crunchy, round, nice.

Not harsh, screaming, filthy.

Oh, and I sent you a PM, Phil.

• Members

I can do this with my
ZIM
by cascading both channels and using the Voice control. I can also get tubescreamer sounds and a whole bunch of other stuff too.

BTW, this is with my Yamaha semi and my 1x12" Fender-style amp.

Are you using the stock ZIM Cards?

• Members

I am looking for classic rock marshall tone from the 70's era. What are the best pedals to achieve this?

if you have enought money for a decent jcm800 or jmp, I'd say go for it

trying to get "the sound" with pedals is a lost cause imo, and I had been at it for awhile

without getting all techy, distortion pedals mimick the sounds you want, but when you listen more carefully over long periods of time, the sounds starts lacking.. and you begin to hear the limitations.

if you have the money, go all the way, if you're a kid, get the best distortion pedal you can (I trust the opinion of the forum) but have it in your mind to get the "real" thing eventually

• Members

if you have enought money for a decent jcm800 or jmp, I'd say go for it

trying to get "the sound" with pedals is a lost cause imo, and I had been at it for awhile

without getting all techy, distortion pedals mimick the sounds you want, but when you listen more carefully over long periods of time, the sounds starts lacking.. and you begin to hear the limitations.

if you have the money, go all the way, if you're a kid, get the best distortion pedal you can (I trust the opinion of the forum) but have it in your mind to get the "real" thing eventually

Totally...it's kinda meaningless without discussing your signal chain.

Start with a decent tube amp and whack the front end with say a Distortion plus.

Archived