Which way do you lean: "Bang For The Buck" OR "You Get What You Pay For"?

Do you go for the really-cheap-but-really-good (eg BM, Valve Jr. etc), or are you more easily willing to pay $$$ for the high end boutique gear because it's consistently better than the "cheap stuff"?

This is a very good question IMHO. :)

On one hand, high end gear is frequently wonderful stuff. While there are some "snake oil" products out there (IOW, high price doesn't always equal high performance), many / most high end products are among the "best there is" available, and the increased cost is worth it if you're after the very best.

OTOH, I'm a big fan of "overachiever" products - things like the Danelectro Fish & Chips that perform well above what their price point might suggest.

Frequently with the high end stuff, you have to pay considerably more for a small incremental improvement. IOW, while a mid priced item might get you 80-90% of the performance of the high end piece, it may cost 150% more than the mid priced piece in order to get that last ten or twenty percent improvement in performance. Is it worth it? Only you can decide that. :)

Personally, my gear is a mix of high end and moderately priced, with the lower cost stuff being high on the "bang for the bucks" performance scale.

"You get what you pay for". I am a firm believer in that. I also do extensive research before making any big purchase in life. It saves much regret later.

Good point; as is the point about saving up and getting what you really want to begin with instead of "making do" with cheaper stuff that you'll quickly replace. Buy and flip IS an expensive proposition. That doesn't mean a beginner should buy nothing but top end gear, but if you've been at it for a while and you're serious, I'd recommend getting something you'll be happy with over a longer period of time rather than something you'll replace quickly.

• Members

I buy what fits my needs.

More often than not that is very cheap. Dunno why. I always find moderate/cheapos that play great, and could be tweaked to sound good, but the higher stuff SERIOUSLY leaves something to be desired. Especially when I drop such a huge sum on it.

• Members

That doesn't mean a beginner should buy nothing but top end gear

Another great point. When talking about effects, I think that beginners should start out with the cheap stuff. A used POD, or some Dano's, and just find out what you like, and dislike in the realm of FX. From there you can form an opinion of what you want/need, and start building up from there. That's what I did/am doing.

• Members

The used market here is great. I buy and flip used on Craigslist all the time. I'm still a rookie player and I learn a lot by doing this. I could buy equipment that's 5-10x more expensive and only sound 2% better. IMO top notch equipment is only worth it if you have the chops to make use of it.

Archived