Which way do you lean: "Bang For The Buck" OR "You Get What You Pay For"?

• Members

Do you go for the really-cheap-but-really-good (eg BM, Valve Jr. etc), or are you more easily willing to pay $$$ for the high end boutique gear because it's consistently better than the "cheap stuff"?

I lean more towards "bang for the buck" but I'm willing to pay the extra money for the high end stuff if it fits what I'm looking for.

• Members

I think it depends on intended usage. In other words, if I'm looking for something I will only use occasionally, I will go more towards the bang-for-the buck, but if it is going to be something I use alot, I'll be willing to pay a bit more to get something I'll be happy with.

• Members

if i can find something cheap that does the job, and will stand up over time, then that is what i buy, but sometimes you have to buy expensive things if you are looking for something specific...like say you want a ring mod that is sequenced and only have enough room on your board for an mxr sized pedal, there is only one ancer i know of ;)

• Members

Do you go for the really-cheap-but-really-good (eg BM, Valve Jr. etc), or are you more easily willing to pay $$$ for the high end boutique gear because it's consistently better than the "cheap stuff"?

I lean more towards "bang for the buck" but I'm willing to pay the extra money for the high end stuff if it fits what I'm looking for.

A good deal is always welcomed, but I have mostly reached for the top shelf, when making gear selections, because the bargain bin, seldom delivers what I prefer.

• Members

I buy the sound I am looking for. Price doesn't matter. Sometimes I find a cheap pedal that does the job like a dano and sometimes I have to drop the cash on a DMM. I don't have to buy bargain and I don't have to buy boutique.

• Members

the former. there are too many great sounding cheap effects for anyone sensible to seriously believe the latter

There are too few cheap effects that do what expensive gear does... As a matter of fact, there are NO cheap effects that do what some expensive gear does. DAMN IT!!!!

• Members

I look for a good deal and what I feel will hold its value or gain in value at a later date

I agree. I do a ton of shopping around, I always buy used, and I dont buy something unless I feel its a great deal.

I dont think "best bang for the buck", means the cheapest gear by any means...For instance, a bad monkey might only cost you $30, but its not that great. Compare it to a timmy, for $100 or whatever, THATS a bang for the buck kinda pedal. Not cheap, but not way overpriced, and a VERY HIGH quality pedal.

• Members

I agree. I do a ton of shopping around, I always buy used, and I dont buy something unless I feel its a great deal.

I dont think "best bang for the buck", means the cheapest gear by any means...For instance, a bad monkey might only cost you $30, but its not that great. Compare it to a timmy, for $100 or whatever, THATS a bang for the buck kinda pedal. Not cheap, but not way overpriced, and a VERY HIGH quality pedal.

yeah, I think we all want bang for buck really...even if it's a lot of bucks, you still want it to feel like it was worth the money....well I do anyway otherwise I just feel cheated.

• Members

I usually go bang for the buck, which means the cheaper end of the spectrum. I do have some of the expensive boxes, and to keep them, they really have to deliver. I've had some of the more expensive boxes, and they don't quite measure up. I get some of the cheap {censored}, and it doesn't quite measure up, but I keep it because it gets me close. With some pedals, I can be just as unhappy with a $50 box as with a $200 box.

Archived