Dear Mr Zachary Vex

• Members

BS170s are MOSFETs. Not FETs. One is not the other. If one were to completely generalize, one might say all transistors are the same because they're transistors. In reality, there are many different types, most of which have 3 leads, that basically can be substituted in one way or another for each other with varying quality to the results. But that defeats the purpose of defining them in the first place, with designations such as Germanium Bipolar, Silicon Bipolar, Germanium FET (rare and old), Silicon FET (modern), Silicon MOSFET... the list goes on.

Hence the Caucasians v.s. Asians comment directed at p'imp above. For example, this Kalash girl is from Pakistan, which is in Southern Asia, but she's Caucasian. She's Asian in origin but Caucasian in race. So you can see, a MOSFET may operate in a way that is similar to a conventional FET because they both use field effect as part of their operation, but they are constructed in totally different ways and are biased into the audio operating range, as a result, using different methods, so one is not the other. A MOSFET transistor is not a FET by definition when referring to construction. A MOSFET does use field effect like a conventional FET in order to accomplish amplification and switching. By the same token, a FET is not a MOSFET.

Kalashg.jpg

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
BS170s are MOSFETs. Not FETs. One is not the other. If one were to completely generalize, one might say all transistors are the same because they're transistors. In reality, there are many different types, most of which have 3 leads, that basically can be substituted in one way or another for each other with varying quality to the results. But that defeats the purpose of defining them in the first place, with designations such as Germanium Bipolar, Silicon Bipolar, Germanium FET (rare and old), Silicon FET (modern), Silicon MOSFET... the list goes on.

Hence the Caucasians v.s. Asians comment directed at p'imp above. For example, this Kalash girl is from Pakistan, which is in Southern Asia, but she's Caucasian. She's Asian in origin but Caucasian in race. So you can see, a MOSFET may operate in a way that is similar to a conventional FET because they both use field effect as part of their operation, but they are constructed in totally different ways and are biased into the audio operating range, as a result, using different methods, so one is not the other. A MOSFET transistor is not a FET by definition when referring to construction. A MOSFET does use field effect like a conventional FET in order to accomplish amplification and switching. By the same token, a FET is not a MOSFET.

Kalashg.jpg

wait a minute...what the {censored}?!:confused:

:)

• Members
wait a minute...what the {censored}?!
:confused:

:)

I forgot to mention that Caucasian contains the root word Asian, but defines something completely different from the purpose of Asian as a reference to an geographical area as opposed to a reference to race. Comparatively, MOSFET contains the root FET but refers to a type of transistor construction, not the method by which the amplification action takes place. Much like Asian refers to both geography and race, FET refers to a type (a conventional silicon FET transistor) as well as physical action (field effect).

So basically MOSFETS are not FETS but they do use field effect.

• Members

Just my 2 cents - but I don't think clips tell you bugger all. People could be doing anything in clips. What doesn't transfer onto a recording is how the pedal reacts and feels when you are playing it to yourself live. Hell, you could probably make a stock Boss CS-3 sound like a Keeley comp on a clip, but is the CS-3 considered a match for for the Keeley Comp? Ermm, no...

From someone who knows absolutely zero about electronics and pedal building, with all due respect to Zach and the people who are interested, I don't really care how the pedal is built anyway. All I know is that I've played or even owned many of the highstreet competitors such as the jackhammer, guv'nor II, a couple of Danelectro's, 2 or 3 boss dirt pedals, and none of them come close...

• Members

quite right my boy, lets all heap praise on the genius that is Zvex!

that man knows his mosfets! The collectors and emitters and all that crazy stuff!

He knows how to turn a handful of parts into a magically delicious mechanism!

my hat is off to Zvex for continuing to make creations that help music more fun!

thank you Mr Vex!
:love:

guys, maybe you should stop arguing now and do soemthing good with this thread, this was a thank you thread to Mr Zvex and .....

Archived